Archive for Monday, November 23, 2009

Mangino’s communication with Perkins has been ‘practically none’

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins stands on the sideline during the Jayhawks’ game against Texas on Nov. 21 in Austin, Texas.

November 23, 2009

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino, speaking during Monday morning's Big 12 coaches teleconference, said his communication with athletic director Lew Perkins has been "practically none" since Perkins' announced an investigation into the coach's behavior last Tuesday.

Asked whether he wished there were more communication, Mangino said, “I don’t know the difference. I don’t know if there should be or shouldn’t. You always like communication with everybody, communication with your players, your coaches, your administrators, your support people. All those people. But I’m good. I’m working, and my players are really focused.

"Once again," he added, "your question perhaps should not be directed at me, if you understand what I’m saying.”

Mangino, whose team is 5-6 heading into Saturday's regular-season finale against rival Missouri, also said he would have preferred certain aspects of the investigation to be handled differently.

“If somebody’s going to have an investigation into something, that’s fine," he said. "I don’t have a problem with that. You would not like for it to be leaked out before anything has been done, even before the investigation actually starts. From that aspect, you don’t like it. But, you know, you live with it."

Mangino also reiterated that it would be unwise to assume anything about his immediate future with the program.

"It hasn't played out yet," he said. "And it's not over."

Comments

ilovelucy 5 years, 1 month ago

He's being railroaded, plain and simple. Perkins deliberately set this up. End of story.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 1 month ago

HELL, IF SOMEONE WAS AFTER ME AS PERKINS IS, I WOULDN'T TALK TO THEM EITHER

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

Overpaid; overfed; its time for him to go back too driving an ambulance..............

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

In his contract, and I may be off a little on the money. I know there was a $25,000.00 incentive, or more I think, for every 100 lbs. Mangino lost. I know Lew didn't like him being overweight. It doesn't matter, he's gone. What a travesty. As much as they say Mangino is bad for the University, Lew is just as bad, if not worse, by the way he has handled the situation and went behind Mangino's back. Other than Turner Gill, what coach would want to come to a school with such a shady AD?

BigAl 5 years, 1 month ago

The athletic facilities at KU are MUCH better now than when Lew Perkins arrived. Not even close. Lew has raised a lot of money and improved facilities all around. More coaches would be interested now than ever before.

This bashing of Lew Perkins is popular but misguided. He has done exactly what he was hired to do. Like him or not, he has improved facilities and raised a lot of money for the univeristy and athletic dept.

babyjontheway 5 years, 1 month ago

What does weight have to do with being a good coach. I think giving your employee weight loss incentive is not appropriate. If you are saying your insurance will be less that is different because obesity is a medical condition. But he isn't allowing his weight to interfer with his job. My dad was just as big as mangino and he coached jr high kids and he was respected by players and parents as a great coach in fact his funeral 10 years later was full of past players and their families because he was good at what he did. Mangino is the same the good players respect him the ones that are always in trouble are the ones that aren't backing him. Perkins will be making a big mistake if he lets him go.

smot 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino is toast. Lew is pulling the strings and appears to be ready to move on. I like Mangino but when you get on the wrong side of your boss, bad things happen to you.

reserveseating 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino and Perkins are both invited to my house for thanksgiving!! Got three turkeys and we all gonna play no-limit hold 'em.

stlcards515 5 years, 1 month ago

BigAl I completely agree with you.

Lew is fantastic for this university. He has turned over millions upon millions of dollars to the university. Look at enrollment. The year after KU won the Orange Bowl and National Championship enrollment was well over 5000 new students. This year? 4200. That's A LOT of tuition money, and even more when you factor in out of state students.

Point is Lew has done so much for our athletics program. Lew earns his paycheck for what he does. Good athletics builds great universities. Plain and simple.

ravenjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

The AD and his staff do as they please. There is too much power at that position. His appointed commitees are all yes men & the underlings dare not cross his agenda or they will be gone. We need an investigation of our athletic dept. heads.

Olympics 5 years, 1 month ago

Soooo Stlcards...Lew gets credit for increasing enrollment due to the football team winning the Orange Bowl. Did Lew make some catches or tackles that I missed? Mangino gets what in your scenario?

Lew has raised more money, but he's also got a GIANT knife that he stuck in the back of the coach who turned around the football program. You want another Terry Allen or the cheater before him?

Mangino is a good/great coach. That is a fact. You want to fire him over some small potatoes and because he's "not your guy." Fine....but admit those are the reasons, Lew.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 1 month ago

"I know there was a $25,000.00 incentive, or more I think, for every 100 lbs Mangino lost."

That is the most inaccurate load of malarky I have ever read on this site. His contract is in .pdf form all over this website, and there's not one single mention of his weight in it.

I would love to know your joke of a source on this one.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 1 month ago

Cheeseburger: You need to get your facts straight before posting.

Mike Alden is AD at Missery.

Wooldridge coached at KSU.

Need I say more?

LAMO

danemary 5 years, 1 month ago

PERKINS IS THE SNAKE IN THE GRASS. HE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR HIS CHANCE TO GET MARK!

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

He is not a good coach; he had one or maybe two good years; thats it.........perkins is doing th e right thing; if u have aproblem; then leave town with mangino; the truth hurts; but deal with it............and move on...........with a loser..

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

cheesebuger;

u dont know what professionalism is......

TopJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Bitter much OTSSweeper? Your arguments are dumb and have been refuted.

HINULB45DAD 5 years, 1 month ago

I think it's best to honor yankeevet's service and ignore his negative posts... It's his 15 minutes of fame.

BigAl 5 years, 1 month ago

I believe that Mangino's record in the Big 12 is 23-40.

KUMarine 5 years, 1 month ago

I hate how Lew Perkins has prostituted KU in his (successful) efforts at raising money. It's never fair to expect an institution to remain unchanged over time, but the sense of tradition that was so important when I graduated has been replaced by a low, money-grubbing attitude that turns my stomach. I won't contribute any longer, and my kids won't attend KU, as long as Lew or someone like him reigns. I suggest you, and your corporations, do the same.

Mark, I wish you better luck in bosses at your next job. I'm sure you'll do well and thanks for what you accomplished here.