Archive for Sunday, November 22, 2009

KU coach kinder, gentler

November 22, 2009

Audio Clips
2009 KU-Texas football
Reader poll
How would you grade the KU football team's performance against Texas?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->

— A kinder, gentler Mark Mangino watched from the sideline as his team was overwhelmed by Texas talent, 51-20, Saturday night in front of 101,357 witnesses who can’t give Lori Williams anything interesting for her investigative report.

Williams, hired as assistant athletic director/risk management in September and told early last week by AD Lew Perkins to conduct an investigation of the football coach after complaints about his allegedly abusive style, didn’t need anyone to tell her how the team performed. She watched the game from the visiting athletic director’s suite with Perkins and assistant athletic director Chris Howard. Her parents, who made the trip from Houston, had planned all season to join their daughter for the event and had no way of knowing then that the eyes of Kansas would be upon her.

Williams, a former NCAA enforcement official, has been gathering information from players and assistant coaches about Mangino, who if fired with cause gets no money, compared to roughly $6.6 million he would get if fired without cause. She presumably will interview Mangino as well.

Her investigation isn’t done, so Mangino’s status for next week’s season finale at Arrowhead Stadium is undetermined.

The Mangino a national television audience saw was not the coach who lit up Raimond Pendleton two years ago for diving into the end zone. The audience saw Mangino remove his headset, walk onto the field and help up injured running back Toben Opurum, who was walked to the sideline, left the game due to a leg injury and never returned.

Mangino, known as “The Bear” to his friends back home in New Castle, Pa., gave a Bear hug to punt returner Daymond Patterson when he came to the sideline after a big return.

The only time the largest crowd in Darrel K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium heard Mangino’s voice was when the referee came to the sideline to talk to Mangino and accidentally had left his microphone on.

“You’re a good man,” Mangino told him. Later in the game, Mangino patted the ref on the back after a brief conversation.

Up in the press box, a young reporter from Texas who had attended the KU coach’s postgame gathering with the media asked, “Is Mangino that nice all the time?”

Well, maybe not all the time.

An upbeat Mangino made it clear he’ll coach Kansas football until a couple of security guards carry boxes into his office and watch him pack.

Does he have any doubt he’ll coach Kansas on Saturday in Arrowhead Stadium against Missouri?

“None whatsoever,” Mangino said. “I’m ready to go. My players are ready to go, but you asked the wrong person that question.”

Meanwhile, fifth-year senior wide receiver Kerry Meier echoed Mangino’s sentiments about looking forward to Saturday.

“I just want to try to get coach Mangino a win against Missouri for all he’s done for me, my family and my teammates,” Meier said.

Comments

Mike Cohen 5 years, 7 months ago

It's a hatchet job against one of the best football coaches KU ever had, and anyone who ever had an ax to grind against Mark Mangino is getting a whack. If this team had not had so many injuries to key players and had managed at least a decent winning record, we would never have heard a word about this. It's completely and without doubt a simple matter of money.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago

Just exactly what are the antics?

Big time donors have dropped some big bucks on a KU college stadium based on a program without long term history as a consistent winner. Maybe the money should have been spent on academic scholarships?

Mangino had two good years and was named 2007 coach of the year. This year has been a struggle. Maybe the donors will never be happy.

Every coach in my history was quite demanding and tough talking.

Football is an abusive sport that does destroy joints,knees,shoulders,ankles and more for life. This abuse is chosen by those who want to play football. Words from a coach cannot accomplish this much damage.

The reality it seems to me is that there is more that we'll never know than what we will ever know about this matter.

This year has not been a winning season. Is it always a coaches fault?

yankeevet 5 years, 7 months ago

What a bunch of crap; now he is acting friendly; concerned about an injured player; its amazing what money can do.........dump his happy ass; and get a real coach for KU...................

nbnozzy 5 years, 7 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says…

Coaches aren't supposed to be nice. Anybody who knew Nanny Duver knows that. But there are few men I respected more. We've been infiltrated by a bunch of spoiled babies and their PC parents. BTW, how many days do you get in jail for spanking your kids these days?

I agree with your post. Way too much political correctness these days. The few times I got in trouble in school, my father always sided with the teachers and principals, no matter how much I protested. And you know what, I was wrong every time. I was being a kid and didn't want to face up to the punishment. I give thanks that adults wanted to keep me on the straight and narrow and not baby me. I turned out a better person for it.

As for Nanny Duver, I heard he was tough. More so than Ralph Wedd, who I had as a gym teacher at South Jr. High. I feared Wedd immensley. But he taught me a lot and I a grateful for his leadership. Nothing wrong with tough and fair in a teacher. I received quite a bit of that going through the Lawrence Public School system and I got out of it what I put into it. I give them credit for my successes in education and I fault myself for any failings.

jaywalker 5 years, 7 months ago

"its amazing what money can do………dump his happy ass; and get a real coach for KU………………."

Exactly how did "money" influence his care for an injured player? And after how ever many years he's been at KU, pretty sure he's a "real coach".

Mike Wagner 5 years, 7 months ago

Soft coach = Soft program Tough coach = Tough program Make up your minds, what do you want!

He must not have been that scary, It didn't keep any of the dumb asses (players, not coaches) from being involved in a fight over a dam girl that probably caused the most embarrassment for ku sports ever!

I can't think of a single game this year that mangino could have saved by coaching, the players just didn't get it done. I would think it was funny if Lou fired him and then he goes to another school only to come back and beat our asses every time KU plays his new TEAM...

Denny2009 5 years, 7 months ago

I just don't get what people want in a football coach. How is this man supposed to motivate players who play a physical, violent sport? Hes gonna have to have a chip on his shoulder people. Grow up this isn't jr. high football where everyone has to be fine and dandy. Feeling are gonna be hurt thats life! Deal with it or don't play ball its simple! Or better yet to the fans who don't like the way Mangino coaches don't watch! Don't worry the game won't miss you and will move right on along without you!

3ofClubs 5 years, 7 months ago

"Perkins and Williams won’t field questions on the investigation until a conclusion has been reached, the lawyers make sure it’s legally airtight, and the trigger is pulled. Mangino hasn’t been handed the blindfold yet."

......... Now there's some completely unbiased reporting.

beagledog 5 years, 7 months ago

of course coach was an angel on tv. are you kidding? with millions of people watching do you think he would do something stupid? he knew he was on tv, on a major network, and he had his acting (as a nice coach) gig on last night. don't be fooled by what you saw. he was acting and we all know it. I'm sure there will be some carryover for his radio show thursday night. do you think he has it in his heart to thank the staff of wild wings for working for him on thanksgiving, sending a message to the families of the workers that he is more important than they are. He might need another acting lesson for that.

Rick Aldrich 5 years, 7 months ago

MANGINO ROCKS! to bad the coach can't say whats really on his mind. all you piss, moan and winers are just a bunch of arm chair, pc CRY BABYS!!!!!!!!!!!! BOO HOO!!!

puddleglum 5 years, 7 months ago

yankeevet, terry allen was the kittycats' second coming of christ. a gift to the entire big 12.

mangino is the man.
all this sissy-speak about "he poked me" is ridiculous.

strap on a pair and get back in the game.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 7 months ago

I sure hope all the people who are up in arms about Mangino "because of his behavior" (and certainly not because of the losing streak) applauded the outcome yesterday. I mean, Mangino's behavior is certainly what it is all about right? None of you cared about the losing, I assume.

beagledog 5 years, 7 months ago

renaissance--just because mangino had one good night does not excuse his behavior for the past 8 years. Go back and read what he said; the "bum" and "get shot with your homies" comments. Who talks to their players like that? who talks to people like that.

compmd 5 years, 7 months ago

All this about Mangio, and people so easily overlook the fact that Bobby Knight is considered a hero.

beagledog 5 years, 7 months ago

bobby knight got the boot for what he did. he also had a 95% graduation rate.

mjohnson55 5 years, 7 months ago

I would love to see a poll regarding the following: should Perkins go or Mangino go? My vote would be on Perkins. Regardless of the situation regarding Mangino I believe that Perkins should of done his investigation in private versus taking it public. Does Perkins know what the word respect means? Former season ticket holder for the last 8 years. Mangino goes I go!

beagledog 5 years, 7 months ago

i agree with mjohnson about perkins. as an a.d., he did his job, to the dismay of many people. Just ask mickey allen, you know, as in allen fieldhouse. lost his season tickets that he had for years thanks to perkins. too bad allen's grandfather couldn't come back and haunt perkins.

BorderRuffian 5 years, 7 months ago

So Mangino has been acting saintly toward his players after all that has been said. Good!! This is exactly what is suppose to happen when things go wrong. Just like Mangino is the coach who hollers and disciplines his players when they screw up, so he's been told off and told to do better. My gut feeling is that Mangino has been out of control for too long, and what he needs most is to be reigned in a bit.

My biggest question is, why didn't Perkins reign Mangino long ago? What kind of boss allows the kind of stuff Mangino has been pulling? If, as has been alleged, Mangino's abusive behavior has been ongoing for so long, and pretty much public knowledge, isn't Perkins the one we should be upset with? He's Mangino's boss, for Pete's sake. Is the bigger problem that Perkins has been lax in the administration of his own department? Or that he has been deliberately trying to find a way to get Mangino fired? IF that is the case, shouldn't Perkins be the first head on the chopping block?

Mangino DOES have an anger problem. He's also a darned good coach. Let's deal with it. Let's get him into some sort of anger management training and monitor his behavior, calling him on the carpet just like he does his players. But let's deal with it. And let's get Perkins on board doing HIS job.

Lastly, what's the deal with using an assistant AD in Perkins's own department as the "independent" investigator? How can she be truly independent as long as she reports to Perkins? Sounds like a set up to me - the kind where the investigation justifies the predetermined outcome.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 7 months ago

Things to consider: 1) Remember the days of Terry Allen. If you do not remember those days, think of 1500 fans in the stands at football games and no excitement. Think of the stadium being 80% red for the Nebraska games

2) KU is not a football coaching destination. Mangino has built what currently exists. Unless Perkins has a ringer in mind, it will be hard finding a good coach. Just ask Kansas State.

3) Football is a tough game. Physical. Disciplined. Again, see Terry Allen.

happy_go_lucky 5 years, 7 months ago

smitty, ANY child can listen to rumors. Get facts before you open your mouth. It is kids like you that make the world the way it is. Grow up, this isn't the playground.

Kevin Enos 5 years, 7 months ago

This whole thing sounds stinks to high heaven. I can't believe it's all over a player "getting poked". What the heck? Who is this wuss? Are our youth so mollycoddled that they consider getting poked to be physical assault? No wonder they played the way they did if there are players who find this incident to be too violent or disrespectful. Hell, I grew up with gradeschool teachers who did a heck of a lot more than poking us with fingers. The witch hunt that's been started is bad enough but why bring it all up before the season is over? Is this supposed to help the team win their remaining games? Playing Texas was going to be tough enough but this distraction didn't help at all.

budwhysir 5 years, 7 months ago

Imagine that, If I was walkin in his shoes, I would have been yellin cussin, hitting and jumpin all the way up and down the field. This would have ensured that all the news media had plenty to cover for the next month. Whats that??? only able to cover the dramatic drama that happens? Cant cover a guy doing his job???

Darwin 5 years, 7 months ago

I'll volunteer to be one of security guards to carry boxes into his office and watch him pack.