Archive for Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mangino denies validity of former player allegations

Mark Mangino attended his weekly radio show, attempting to debunk rumors of inappropriate behavior.

November 19, 2009, 7:08 p.m. Updated November 20, 2009, 12:00 a.m.

Mangino defends program on 'Hawk Talk'

Kansas football coach Mark Mangino speaks on "Hawk Talk" about the success of the football program and how prepared — or not — the players are.

Mangino denies validity of former player allegations

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino responded Thursday to allegations that he has made a habit of verbally abusing players during his eight-year tenure in Lawrence. Enlarge video

Stoops stands by embattled Mangino

Norman, Okla. (AP) — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is sticking by his former assistant — Kansas coach Mark Mangino. Mangino is facing an internal investigation by the school over an undisclosed personnel matter.

Stoops says Mangino has always been close to and concerned about his players.

Mangino was OU’s offensive line coach in 1999 and the Sooners’ offensive coordinator in 2000 and 2001 before becoming head coach at KU.

Though he didn’t address certain allegations specifically, Mangino — speaking Thursday during his weekly radio show, “Hawk Talk with Mark Mangino” — said he took exception to comments made by former players in the days since KU athletic director Lew Perkins launched an internal investigation concerning the actions of the coach.

“I’ll be honest with you, some of the stuff is flat-out embellished and just not true,” said Mangino, whose Jayhawks (5-5) will travel to Texas on Saturday for a meeting with the No. 3 Longhorns. “... I think there are people embarrassing this program just for their 15 minutes of fame.”

Later, he added, “I can’t do the work of some parents, what they should have done before (the players) got to me. Some are just bitter ... and I can’t do anything about that. There’s some things, for 18 years, that happened in their lives that I can’t change in four years of college. I can’t do it. Can’t change their behaviors, can’t change their attitudes.”

Since the Journal-World first reported the ongoing investigation Tuesday morning, some former players have come forward with less-than-glowing experiences involving the coach, allegations that have included near-daily oral abuse of players and coaches, threats of revoking scholarships and the airing of players’ personal matters in a team setting.

Mangino, who received multiple ovations from the Buffalo Wild Wings crowd during his one-hour live show, stood by his previous assertion that his approach is comparable to other coaches across the Big 12 Conference, insisting he is more than comfortable with the manner in which he runs his program.

“When you do things the right way and you do things to help young people and bring some discipline and structure and try to lead them to earn a college degree, that’s all I’ve done,” he said. “I’m at peace with myself. I’ve got nothing to worry about because I know how we take care of our program and how we take care of our players.

“I can’t tell you that every guy we’ve had here has been an outstanding person to work with. We’ve had our share of slackers and corner-cutters and all those kind of things. We just try to show them the way. Some young people want discipline in their life. They benefit by it. They want structure. They understand the big picture. And some don’t. But to me — I’m good, man. I’m feeling great. I’m doing what I know how to do and doing it to the best of my ability.”

Informed of Mangino’s comments late Thursday night, former Kansas running back Jocques Crawford chuckled.

“I would expect him to say something like that,” he said. “That’s a bail-out.”

Crawford, who transferred from Kansas last summer and is now a walk-on at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, Tenn., also told the Journal-World on Thursday that players felt pressured to play injured.

“My first game at KU, I sprained my ankle really bad, and I came to the sideline, and I told them I hurt my ankle, and the coach said, ‘Was I going to be a (wimp) about it or was I going to go back in?’” Crawford said. “So I felt like I had to prove something to him.”

Another former player, however, reiterated Thursday that Mangino is far from the man he has been made out to be by some.

Former defensive tackle Travis Watkins spoke glowingly of a coach who was tough but fair, and unlike previous players, who say they left the program with no real relationship with the coach, said he speaks to Mangino a handful of times every year.

As an example of the coach’s support of his players, Watkins pointed to Mangino’s postgame rant following a controversial loss to Texas in 2004 in which the coach implied that the game’s officiating had been rigged based on a desire for the Longhorns to play in a BCS game.

According to Watkins, Mangino walked into the locker room before attending the postgame news conference and teared up at seeing the disappointment of his players.

“He was in there crying with us,” Watkins said.

Watkins said that, like any college football program, there were good times and bad times, and there was no denying that playing college football at Kansas was not an easy thing to do.

But there was always a method to Mangino’s madness, Watkins said, and the rants — no matter how severe — always served a specific purpose.

“I definitely went through times when I was like, ‘This guy’s crazy,’ ‘He’s an (expletive)’ or whatever,” Watkins said. “But the older I got, and the more I got into the program, after going through everything, in every instance you look back — he might have at times said some crazy things, but it was all to make you a better player and a better person.”

Comments

BlackVelvet 5 years, 1 month ago

well duh...Of course he denies it. He's not stupid enough to say "hell yes, I did all those things"

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

so.........how about hiring Marty Shotenheimer........

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"Later, he added, "Some of these guys are just bitter.""

I've known men who wore bowl rings. It takes a lot to be bitter after getting one of those. This sounds like he's having a hard time admitting that he's a hard guy to get along with.

I'd like to see a post from Mrs. Mangino. She's the one who knows the truth about his anger.

rgh 5 years, 1 month ago

Ya, like Mortenson is bitter over his time at KU. HA!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Some football players best not head off to boot camp if they believe college football is a bit tough to take.

Then again I cannot remember any of my coaches as sweet talking warm and fuzzy.

password 5 years, 1 month ago

rgh -Ya, like Mortenson is bitter over his time at KU. HA!

didn't you hear his interview on the KLWN? he's very bitter.

Russell Fryberger 5 years, 1 month ago

Unless you've been around the spoiled little prima donnas he's referring to then don't pass judgement. Some of those kids are arrogant pricks. Not saying Magino is a saint but there is two sides to the stories. KU football is losing so they will attack the leader first.

password 5 years, 1 month ago

bergerfry ~ I agree with you. I've been around bosses who were worse than what they're saying Mangino is. Grow up and get over it.

hbjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Tex (-27) and rising . . . Vegas knows that we are losing a coach as soon as our plan touches down from a beatdown in Austin. He is digging his grave . . . and it might be in China because he needs a big hole.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"Too bad after allegations and a mess like this you'll be lucky to land at Eastern Tennessee Tech."

NO, he'll have no problem getting a GOOD job. He didn't have any NCAA problems, and he turned around a program that had been losing since the 60s. We hadn't won a bowl game in over 25 years before him. Lots of schools would love him.

Jason Jantz 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino made us a winner and I am going to miss him. I haven't heard one allegation yet that I would consider damning to his career.

budwhysir 5 years, 1 month ago

I LOVE how his responses and statements are based on the fact that he is unable to change the students. Um could we say denial??? Could it be that he needs to change his actions or behaviors? Could it be that his parents made a few mistakes? Glad to see that Mangino is at peace with the way he runs his team, I hope that the way this program is ran is up to snuff and that the stories are just embelished and he will be cleared. If they are true, I can say it is good that it is out in the open and all potential employers are now aware of the way he runs his program.

budwhysir 5 years, 1 month ago

rock chalk what a shock? not so sure bout this, just goes to show that being paid all that money and getting lucky enough to go to one bowl game doesnt make you king of the mountain

ilovetocook 5 years, 1 month ago

It seems Mangino believes in his players taking responsibility for their actions, but he isn't willing to acknowledge any of his shortcomings. We've seen and heard his abusive behavior from a couple of years ago via you tube and heard about his hot-headed behavior when his son played at LHS. Yet, he denies he has any problems with anger management or needs to change in any manner. He's either in denial or an arrogant, self-absorbed jerk. I thought that when KU was winning and think that now that KU is mediocre at best. He should be fired.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino is a jerk. Perkins is a bigger jerk who sees an opportunity to bring in his "own guy." Buhbye, Mark.

ilovetocook 5 years, 1 month ago

jackripper, I never defended Perkins at all. But, since nothing has been done about his unacceptable behavior for years, should it continued to be tolerated? Of course not!

Maxandwillie 5 years, 1 month ago

Its not uncommon for coaches not to be liked at the time because they push certain buttons to get kids to respond in a more effective way. However when you have former players who had success playing for KU and after (mortenson) saying what they are saying now that shows a lack of respect.

Far worse to not be respected than to be disliked.

He is done, especially after his comments about parents not doing their jobs.

CrazyDiamond 5 years, 1 month ago

Oldenuf2b: "We hadn't won a bowl game in over 25 years before him".

1995 Aloha Bowl KU 51 UCLA 35

BorderRuffian 5 years, 1 month ago

I thnk Porky really screwed the pooch with his HawkTalk tonight. I was kinda pulling for the old tub of lard, but now he goes on lambasting the players AND their parents. Gosh, what's next, blaming Bush?

Well, the good news is that there's lotsa job openings in New York City for washed up fat guys. They call them "Santa." Only thing is, Porky is more like the mean, hateful Santa on "A Christmas Story," bellowing out HO HO HO and scaring the little kiddies, than the nice old guy in (the original) "Miracle on 34th Street."

I gotta say, I'm SO disappointed - I was really pulling for this guy.

pfunk81 5 years, 1 month ago

You guys ever think Lew Perkins looks a bit like Sloth from the Goonies?

Rickyonealku 5 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone really think those former KU football players have moved on with there lives??? Do they have a J.O.B.??? did they complete and walk down the hill with a DEGREE??? Start a family??? Life after college football must be rough and tough for those complaining NOW. Grow some BALLS Life is tough with 10 plus unemployment.

Rickyonealku 5 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to conclude with Grow some BALLS Life is tough with 10% plus unemployment.

babyjontheway 5 years, 1 month ago

Everything he says is spot on these kids come from bad homes and neighborhoods and the parents just think that the coach is supposed to take their place as a disciplenarian. But guess what? You are a parent even if your kid is grown and lives in a different state and you should be coming to campus and making sure they aren't ruining their lives instead of running about talking about how my kid plays football at KU. I had a coach in high school that would yell at us and make us run in the pouring rain in the middle of winter. Why? because we would act lazy or do something wrong off court to embarress the school. These football players are mad because they are being disciplined for embaressing the school and they think they can embaress us some more as a way to get back at us. If this man loses his job for doing it then all coachs should be scard.

kujayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Why do they keep interviewing Crawford? Talk about a thug with a sketchy past.

Hoots 5 years, 1 month ago

Every coach I ever had yelled at me. I've had my helmet slapped, jersey pulled, pads smacked, and LOTS of yelling. No matter if I was running track, playing baseball or football the coaches were always tough on you. Sorry boys that's the way of the world of sports and always has been. Buck up little campers...otherwise life is going to be a long ride. Now go get stuck in the Taco Bell drive-up window.

fan4kufootball 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Coach - keep up the good work! It not your fault you have a bunch of sissies on your team - and as long as others keep bailing them out they will be sissies and whiners their entire life. I feel sorry or the team players that really go all out and play with a passion while the sissies on their team bring them down. Now we all really know why the "team" has not been functioning well. It takes 100% of EVERY player to be a good football team.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

I think he is a coach who wins; KSU and OU probably would not have won without him. But when he assaulted a student over a parking ticket he should have been fired and charges brought. Try getting into the face of a meter person down town see how that works.

How does this school continue to take students and parents money and let this kind of thing continue? - "send you kid here and by the way if he is assaulted by our winning football coach, well - football is like war and people get hurt so man up!?"

His team is not winning and it looks like the AD is tired of the baggage.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

It's too bad that KU is full of so many wussies. Come on girly men, did the coach hurt your feelings because you were playing like crap? Are you having a little post traumatic stress disorder now? What about our men fighting in Afghanistan or Iraq, do you think it compares with all they've experienced? Do you feel like you are inadequate or something, like with the ladies since coach ripped your head off? So, coach needs to take sensitivity training? So he is all sensitive to others' feelings? Did he say bad words to you? Ever heard of sticks and stones?

........This could go on and on and on.

Brett Fuller 5 years, 1 month ago

All I know is that feature stories on ESPN cause recruits and alumni support to disappear and that it is unaffordable for a program trying to get over the hump. Innocent or guilty may not matter at this point.

Jean1183 5 years, 1 month ago

We're behind you, Coach! Yell and poke the wusses some more.

If a poke and a yell scares those guys, they wouldn't last a day in bootcamp.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 1 month ago

Why does the media give a hoot what CRAWFORD thinks? He was booted for lack of discipline and horrible behavior. Of course he doesn't like Mangino because he was a dud. Pure and simple. Hence, what he says is only garbage and isn't meaningful. Everybody can see through that crap.

bigbird11 5 years, 1 month ago

Making a comparison of college football players to soldiers fighting Afghanistan/Iraq? Arguments don't work like that.

Judgesmails 5 years, 1 month ago

Stay classy, meatball !

You'll never be a D1 head coach again

countrygirl 5 years, 1 month ago

How many former jayhawks are playing in the NFL? It would be interesting to hear their side of things.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 1 month ago

Let's look at the facts:

Lew was hired to bring money to the athletic program. He has been very successful. Like him or not, he brings more money to the department than any other AD in the nation.

Mangino was hired to produce a winning football team. Although he had a good start, his team has lost five games in a row.

Verdict: Keep Lew, replace Mangino.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

“I’ll be honest with you, some of the stuff is flat-out embellished and just not true,” said Mangino. Let's break this quote down.

Okay, first of all, I hate the phrase “I’ll be honest with you". It makes me feel like you're B.S. ing me the rest of the time.

And then there's "some of the stuff is flat-out embellished and just not true". But the rest is true?

thepianoman 5 years, 1 month ago

Maningo is right.....He can't change the players' attitudes, behaviors, lack of ambition, lack of discipline, etc. Most of them probably grew up having anything and everything they wanted.

A lot, NOT ALL, of young people these days (I'm 29) have no work ethic, no ambition, they're spoiled, lack discipline from parents, etc, etc.

College althletes these days need more discipline and less pampering.

Is Mangino supposed to be powerding these players' asses????? Come on.

Kudos to Mangino!!

Denny2009 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm behind Mangino. The players are a bunch of prima donnas...all year with this bad publicity crap. These guys are hard enough to fight on campus and act like a bunch of tough guys but can't hack it in the end. This is embarassing that this has even gone public. This goes on at other schools, you think all collegiate players see eye to eye with their coaches motivational techniques? Grow a pair.

truman 5 years, 1 month ago

Summary- This was all part of Lew's plan. Historically, no KU football coach is around for long. Complaining football players- what a bunch of whiners. Parents of the complaining players- let your kids grow up and make their own mistakes/choices. (wish I had a free ride to college).

truman 5 years, 1 month ago

silly question- where does Turner Gill coach?

Graczyk 5 years, 1 month ago

I love how people (on this board and the radio) say how Mangino will never be a D-1 coach again. Of course he will be. Look at someone like Bobby Knight. He verbally and physically abused his players. He got another D-1 gig. Granted, Mangino is not the same caliber as Bobby Knight (wins, championships, etc.) but football loves retreads. Someone is going to give him a chance. They always do.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

Heard Lew's already met with him. Probably not too hard to do since Gill's daughter goes to school here. Turner Gill is the next coach of your Kansas Jayhawks!!!!!

truman1902 5 years, 1 month ago

This all has the aroma of "pack" mentality. When times aren't so high, it opens the gate to those who can't bear losses without injecting their venom from underneath the rocks in which they hide when times are good. Mark Mangino was, and is STILL the best football coach this program has EVER seen.. Warts?? Sure, everyone's got 'em..Competing with NU, OU, Texas and everyone else's media darling programs isn't a walk in the park. Coach Mangino has extracted the very most from his players on Saturdays that were lucky to find 30,000 fans at Memorial Stadium before his arrival. ..It's NOW 50,000+ for the PRE-SEASON games. YEAH, he YELLS..Now, it's judged as INSENSITIVE?? EVERYONE among us has lost it at one time or another..If he stays, he'll be a better coach..BOOK THAT!! Those of you who want a nice guy with low expectations??--Terry Allen would probably re-sign!! Top programs REQUIRE thick skin!!!

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

Turner Gill coaches University of Buffalo Bulls.

68fbrd 5 years, 1 month ago

How appropriate for 'BF' to have his weekly radio address from the local greasy spoon? Maybe he should have next weeks 'address' from Nutri Systems, or a all you can eat buffet?

68fbrd 5 years, 1 month ago

REMEMBER: Lew Perkins totally ruined the basketball program at WSU when he fired Gene Smithson, and he also wanted to CAN Gene Stephenson.

truman 5 years, 1 month ago

the University of Buffalo ? Not a big name program. Lew can do better than that. Or maybe not.

KUFAN1518 5 years, 1 month ago

If Turner Gill is coming to Kansas, I will no longer be a Kansas fan. He has done nothing with a low level Buffalo team in the time that he has been there in a crappy conference. I am a huge supporter of what Mangino has done for the Kansas Football program. If you guys think a poke in the chest is bad, i would say you have never played the game of football and have no business talking about the matter. I was getting cused at and poked in the chest in pee wee league football. The players need to step up and take resposibility for their own actions on and off the field. This has all been brought about by Lew Perkins, he has never liked Mangino and has been looking for a reason to get him out for years. We are not losing because of bad coaching, we are losing because of bad exicution by the players, mainly Todd Reesing, yes I said it, have you guys been to a game this year, his passing accuracy has been terrible these past 4 or 5 weeks vs quality opponents, the recivers have been there and he has made poor decisions and innacurate throws. Notice how the coaching staff made changes on defense and wow, what happened, they improved the next week people, Its all about making changes to better the program and if certain players are pissed about those decisions then they need to better themselves and get the job done, not go out and accuse the coach of having it out for him. I'm not out to blame it on one guy or anything, lord knows the coaching staff could be better in areas, but the exucution of the players has not been solid this year as a whole. Anyway, I can't belive you guys are turning on coach Mangino with these former players "quotes". I belive coach said it best, there was a time in kansas football where a 5-5 season was celibrated with a parade. Its just one season. I remember when we had coaches with records of 2-9, 3-8 etc. and nothing was done for years about getting a better coach. Go Mangino, I'm with you!

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew and Turner Gill are buddies, have been for a long time. He will be the coach. His daughter goes here, everything falls into place.

Jimo 5 years, 1 month ago

If Perkins wants to fire Mangino because he's not leading the program in the direction it needs then he should be a man and stand up and do it.

If Perkins wants to fire Mangino because he's engaged in wrong-doing as coach then he should start with actual allegations of actual wrong-doing, which I've yet to hear.

If neither #1 nor #2, then Perkins needs to be fired as AD for his unsupportive, back-stabbing attempts to undermine both Mangino and the entire football program.

BigAl 5 years, 1 month ago

Nice letter KUFAN1518. But, this goes well beyond a player being "poked in the chest". Mangino has anger problems and a lot of people have known it for a long time. Ask the people that witnessed him at the LHS game.

Mangino crosses the line when he attacks these kids and their families on a personal level. Period.

Football is a violent and physical game and I have no problem with coaches that are physical and verbal but not when they cross the line. You don't talk critical about a kid's grandmother passing or a young man's dad being a “drunk”. Totally out of line.

When he basically gets booted from a high school football game, he seems to be the one that needs disciplined.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

So, football is really nothing more than institutionalized fraternity hazing?

"My coach was a petty, immature, sadistic a$$hole with poor communication skills, so players today should expect to be treated as badly I was."

beagledog 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino does have a problem with his anger. What about the allegations of his problems at home? let's get real. mangino didn't even have the balls to enter that restaurant last night via the front door. I feel sorry for all the people who work they; his presence ruined their reputation as a great sports bar.
I am good friends with the radio engineer and he told me that mangino refuesed to move his show up a day early to accomodate the basketball team, and thus, there was no pre-game radio show yesterday. he also told me MM would not do his show a day early next week, FORCING the staff at wild wings to work. when MM was told it was thanksgiving, he reply was "so? I'll be here." He could care less about anyone but himself. He doesn't care about family, unless it is his own. I hope his wife reads this and realizes how selfish her husband really is.

Cathy Tarr 5 years, 1 month ago

Go back to the archives of this paper to July 24, 2009 and read about Jocques Crawford leaving the team. He was suspended indefinitely with the possibility of a permanent dismissal. Magino did not throw him under the bus to the press and say everything he did. Crawford screwed up his own time at KU. Wright lost his job this year to a freshman. These are all ex-players who are want-a-be NFL players that want to blame someone other than themselves.

KUFAN1518 5 years, 1 month ago

beagledog, the only reason he wants to keep it on thursdays is because thursdays are short days for the football team, they are done around 5:30 or so for personal stuff/family stuff, other days they stay and work/gameplan till 10:00 or later. And who in the hell would want to have 15 cameras pointed in there face when going in to do a weekly radio show when your trying to keep thing buisness as usual, how is this realavent?

gphawk89 5 years, 1 month ago

"near-daily oral abuse... threats of revoking scholarships... airing of personal matters in a team setting..."

OK, kids, what are you going to do when you get out into the real world and encounter the same sort of thing in your workplace? Grow up and deal with it....

bd 5 years, 1 month ago

The real issue is that Lew came up with this grand plan for the gridiron club, sold the idea to everyone, and then the football team loses ! Lew has to save face , so his only option is to blame someone for his big mess!

laughingatallofu 5 years, 1 month ago

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Lew go. When athletics becomes more about luxury boxes (money), gridiron clubs (money), facilities (money), donations to the Williams Fund (money), pricing people out of attending athletic events (money), etc. (money), than about athletics, there's something wrong. And Lew (money) is the root of the wrongness.

ksjayhawk81 5 years, 1 month ago

Im on Manginos side! I think todays kids are way to soft, its like going into the military and crying because they yelled at you at basic! Come on be a man.. and why if he did this before why didnt they come forward then.. hmm? GO JAYHAWKS!

stingray 5 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone else find it interesting that the spokesperson for the disgruntled student athletes is the kid who got in trouble because he let another player car-surf on his car? Why is the media rushing to his opinion on this matter? Is he upset because Mangino got mad because he is a moron? Please - no more from Crawford.

It's unfortunate that the public is making assumptions based upon statements from current and former players - a large number of these players didn't feel that they got playing time or were treated fairly for car-surfing related discipline.

Obviously, the timing of this is the biggest issue. These behavioral issues have been known for years. For Perkins, it's all about money. Team on a skid, rebuilding team next year, terrible idea of Gridiron Club and no one wants to buy tickets for it = Lew Perkins deciding that the coach is the major problem.

I would rather have a good coach (Mangino) who had an unfortunate year this year than an Athletic Director whose only drive is the money coming into the department. If anyone thinks this is about anything other than money - take a closer look at Perkins. He just wants a new coach and doesn't want to have to pay out the remainder of the contract on the one he has. "Behavioral issue" allegations are his way to do that.

babyjontheway 5 years, 1 month ago

I am backing My Man Mangino 100% and any tride and true jayhawk would too. He did nothing wrong, you don't like being yelled at don't go in to football I am pretty sure the arts department is looking for some new dancers for nutcracker.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope Mr. Pink does get that petition going. I would love to see Lew out of here. If he drafts that up, or I will with his approval and editing, I would be the first one to sign it! ..Keep Mangino...Fire Perkins! Keep Mangino....Fire Perkins! Keep Mangino...Fire Perkins!!!!!!

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!!!! Stand up to the man and don't back down. If they fire Mangino, and keep Lew, I will never, ever give another dime of my money to the University. That includes, merchandise, athletics...Nothing!!!

freedomgap 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Fat Man, How's the lard and butter diet going? You're a disgrace. Biggest Loser won't even alow you to compete. On your radio show you said "15 minutes of fame.." IT'S 15 SECONDS of fame, from the famous quote you might have heard if you passed any course in college besides Athletes Foot Care. Please retire and join a fat farm.

hilary 5 years, 1 month ago

babyjon, not necessary to make fun of the fine arts at all. You're also crazy to think a dance teacher isn't a tough coach. You're obviously oblivious, but making a joke, so I understand. I agree with you, however, regarding your sentiments about toughening up. If we weren't having the losing record we are, I'm sure this would not have even come up.

manONmoon 5 years, 1 month ago

It's too late now to keep Mangino. Every other school battling to get the same recruits as us is going to use this against us. Kansas isn't a program that can get players based on our name. We have to let him go and bring in someone new. Kansas has a new facilities and a new name, we can definitely find some one equal to, if not better than Mangino.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

My predictions. I think I'm shooting at about 90% - 95% correct.

Kirk Ferentz = Notre Dame Bob Stoops = Iowa Mark Mangino = OU Turner Gill = KU

pfunk81 5 years, 1 month ago

freedomgap, you are a grade A idiot.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

Larry, not to be rude, but Gruden just signed an extension w/ ESPN and Monday Night Football. I doubt he's coming to Lawrence. Turner Gill is your coach. Accept it, as hard as it may be, and move on.

leedavid 5 years, 1 month ago

I played safety at LSU in the 70's (I know you weren't born then) and you don't want to know what Coach Charlie McClendon said to us. or Coach Bear Bryant at Alabama for that matter. I can only imagine what would have happened if we said, Coach Charlie was mean to me.

I do have to admit, something very serious is going on with this team. Changing defensive strategies in midseason. Head coach taking over offensive play calling during a game. These are signs of a coaching staff that does not have its act together. I feel for the seniors.

stingray 5 years, 1 month ago

Freedomgap - are you referring to the famous Andy Warhol quote "In the future, everyone will be world famous for fifteen minutes" when you were trying to mock Mangino? Just wondering who first made your "fifteen seconds" quote famous. Please educate us.....

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

red devil.....Do your research before spitting such meaningless babble on this board. Your next coach is going to be Turner Gill. Until you can come up with a better scenario, calm down. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

Here you go red_devil and everyone else doubting good old garyr. alfie's on top of it....

alfie (Anonymous) says…

Jayhawks an option for Buffalo's Gill? Posted by John Taylor on November 20, 2009 8:02 AM ET The talk of late, since the Western Kentucky job came open, is that a candidate for the head-coaching vacancy would be Buffalo's Turner Gill.

The rumors, to be honest, never made much sense from the start. First of all, and no offense to the Hilltoppers intended, but a move to the Sun Belt conference — to a team that's just in its first year as a full-fledged member of Div. 1-A — would be a step backwards career-wise, especially for a coach whose name has been attached to openings for schools currently residing in BcS conferences.

Secondly, it would be a step backwards for Gill financially. Gill currently makes at least 50 percent more than what David Elson pulled in at WKU, and it's highly unlikely the school could/would come up to the level of a MAC school.

So, what's all of this leading to? A solid rumor attaching Gill's name to a BcS school.

According to the Buffalo News, should the situation at Kansas become even more untenable and Mark Mangino and the school “part ways”, Gill would likely become an immediate front runner to fill the opening.

The job UB fans should be worried about if it comes open is Kansas. Jayhawks coach Mark Mangino's tenure seems a bit unsteady as the university probes allegations that he verbally abused players and had physical contact with them, including poking linebacker Arist Wright in the chest during a walk-through practice in October. Gill has a relationship with Jayhawks AD Lew Perkins and he has a long storied history in the Big 12 as an assistant at Nebraska. And Gill's daughter, Jordan, is a student at KU.

If — or should it be “when”? — Mangino ultimately finds himself on the outs, it would make perfect sense for Gill to be a candidate for the position. Whether or not he would want to put himself into the middle of such a volatile work environment, though, would be another issue entirely.

garyr 5 years, 1 month ago

If Lew ain't happy, ain't no one happy. And Lew ain't gonna be happy unless Gill is the coach. Turner Gill will be KU's next football coach.

Hills_KU2007 5 years, 1 month ago

Too much damage has been done to the program. PERIOD. It doesn't matter if you love Mangino or hate Mangino. What's done is done, what has been brought out to the public is...gues what...public knowledge now. Whether it's true or not, the majority of us will never know. But there is no way the KU Administration can bring back Mangino after this year. It's called damage control, and if Mangino comes back, it leaves an extremely awful image on the University of Kansas. I don't know who to believe and at this point, it does not matter. Mangino's out, so all you rich alum/supporters of KU, get your check books ready.

Richard Payton 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino will not when coach of the year this year; but, how long ago was it when the AP named him coach of the year?

bevy 5 years, 1 month ago

"Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino denied recent accusations that he has made a habit of orally abusing players during his eight-year tenure in Lawrence."

Sheesh, I thought he just poked them in the chest.

Seriously, do J-W reporters even have J-school degrees? Or English degrees? I think the word you want here is VERBALLY, as in VERBALLY abusing players.

rgh 5 years, 1 month ago

password,

You totally missed the sarcasm in the post. My point was Mangino claims this is mostly from players who were bitter. My point was Mortensen's view exactly. How can a guy with those rings and wins be bitter without cause?

I think Lew is just biding his time and getting through the season before saying goodbye to Mangino. Despite the wins you can't treat players like a piece of meat and not get bitten eventually.

bevy 5 years, 1 month ago

Not a mental picture I needed, either.

Richard Payton 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew spent the KU Football bowl money now he needs to raise more? Lew guessed that KU football was again headed to the orange bowl back when KU was 5-0 and #16 in the polls. Preplanning backfired this time since the money went to the tiolet bowl. Sorry KSU may not be in the tiolet bowl but a real bowl game!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 1 month ago

Pulled this from LMFAO blog (band who played the Granada last night)....

"After thrift shopping with the Shwayze boys, Reek, Nikole and I had dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. The paparazzi were out in full force, but it turned out they weren’t there for us, but for the University of Kansas football coach. The entire restaurant applauded when he walked in."

ranger73 5 years, 1 month ago

Turner Gill learned under Tom Osborne at Nebraska-he was on the short list to be the coach at NU, who took Pelini. He has built a program at Buffalo that just joined the D-1 ranks a year or 2 ago. Assuming Mangino is gone (don't see how he can stay at this point) Gill would not be a bad candidate. Win-loss records don't mean everything. The big question is does he still have enough ties to recruit with the big boys of the conference. Given the talent, he can probably do well coaching in the "big time," but can he get the talent here?

BorderRuffian 5 years, 1 month ago

Gosh and golly guys, I gotta ask the obvious, albeit insensitive and politically incorrect question here.

If Mangino, aka "Porky" is the football coach whose boss is AD Lew Perkins, why is it that Mr. Perkins didn't intervene long ago to stop the alleged abuses? As Mangino's boss, wasn't he the ultimate authority who should have stepped in to prevent what has been alleged?

Lew? Are you listening? Lew - where were you?

camper 5 years, 1 month ago

Not saying this is the case here at KU, and I am a KU football fan and Mangino supporter for sure. I also like Lew Perkins.

But what I disagree with on these boards is the assumption that these KU Football players are somehow soft for bringing forth a grievance. If these complaints are valid, letting them go and falling in line would be the more passive or weaker alternative. There are times in life when you follow the orders of your superiors, but there are also times when this authority must be questioned.

Following ones own instincts and beliefs is often just as an important part of life as following the discipline and orders of authority figures. Mangino may unknowingly be providing both of these lessons via his persona.