Archive for Thursday, November 19, 2009

Baldwin City teen detained for bringing loaded gun and knife to school

November 19, 2009

A 15-year-old Baldwin High School student was detained Thursday for bringing a loaded gun to school.

Interim Police Chief Greg Neis said school officials were checking out a report that the student was carrying a knife to use during a fight after school. The teen was searched, a knife was found and police were called, Neis said.

As police were responding, school officials also learned that the teen had a firearm, and another searched ensued. But Neis said a 14-year-old male student had removed the gun from the 15-year-old’s locker and put it in his because he didn’t want the older boy to get into trouble.

Neis said the 15-year-old told police he brought the gun to school.

The gun was a semiautomatic .45-caliber pistol. There were several rounds in the magazine, but there wasn’t one in the chamber, Neis said.

The 15-year-old was detained on charges of possession of a knife and taking a firearm to school. Neis said the 14-year-old also had a knife. He was released to his father and not arrested.

School Superintendent Paul Dorathy said both teens have been suspended. He was pleased how the situation was handled.

“No threats were made,” Dorathy said. “The good thing is it got dealt with and didn’t end up differently.”

The 15-year-old was taken to the Juvenile Detention Center in Lawrence.

Comments

gsxr600 8 years ago

Nice. That kid is so cool. /sarcasm

middlemgmt 8 years ago

I'm glad they found this out before something awful happened.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

YES. Very lucky this didn't escalate. From what I read in the paper, your typical 21 year old gun-toter cannot resist the siren call of the trigger.

20 years ago, I didn't know anyone who home schooled. Now it's becoming commonplace, and those who cannot home school often are sending kids to private schools. Kids who don't even go to church are going to Christian schools just so they can learn in safety. The public schools need more power to kick kids out and hold the "not-my-kid" parents more accountable. If we fail to do this, our grandchildren will have no schools to attend (unless you have deep pockets for private school). We are witnessing the beginning of the end of the public school system.

ilovetocook 8 years ago

Good grief, old enough! Nothing like throwing out the baby with the bath water. One of the safest places children can be is in school. If you think of all the children at school day in and day out, these instances are fairly rare. Many more children are killed by their own parents every year than at school. Shall we take kids away from parents too?

Jhawkwife 8 years ago

Typical Baldwin. They have the worst administration, all the way from Principals to their superintendents. Don't send your kids to Baldwin, it has gone from bad to worse.

lesleydiane 8 years ago

Having spent 4 years in Baldwin during my time at Baker, this doesn't surprise me.

MandaLynn94 8 years ago

wow... um let me just say thats not the way things went down. close but not the truth.. im so tired of Baldwin cops not telling the truth.. and yeah people may ask how would i know.. well the guy that the 15 year old was to fight after school is my best friend. Baldwin cops so need to get there fact's strait!! i hope that 15 year old learned his lesson... besides hes the one that wanted to fight not the other kid. and no guns or knifes were to be involved... guess he thought other wise... and to tell you the truth the fight was over something so stupid that it shouldnt even have happened... in truth people need to learn the story and get the facts strait.. yeah no one was hurt.. but the 15 year old will be back... then what??... he will be ticked off and wanting revenge... i think the kid should stay in JDC for a long while. bad thing is now over half the school is scared to death... and the other guys family is so worried that once hes out he will come after him... and i doubt Baldwin cops will do anything about it... so what are him and his family just supposed to up and move?? i think they need to get a better hand on this kid because its not the first time he has broken the law!!

buddy2me 8 years ago

WOW, jhawkwife, like Baldwin is the worst school in this area. I don't think so! There are problems at both High Schools here in Lawrence and you don't hear about those in the paper every day. Try checking your facts about all schools in this area before you post a stupid comment like that!!

KSShy1 8 years ago

My concern now is what caused this kid to bring a gun and a knife to school? Taking the weapons away and suspending the kid is only a temporary fix. It does nothing to remedy the original problem. Hopefully there are steps being taken to get to the real problem. My son was in Free State and was attacked 3 times before I finally said This is NOT worth it....I put him in a private school where he graduated with Honors and he is SAFE. My son is a computer geek, not the type that hangs with kids so he is not a trouble maker. Just was in the wrong place on more than one occasion. Nobody asks to be bullied. I feel for the family and the kids that were the target and will pray that there is a peaceful resolution and soon.

beawolf 8 years ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad (Anonymous) says… " We are witnessing the beginning of the end of the public school system."

If you're old enough to be my dad, you must recall that things were not much different back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I went to Cody HS in Detroit (66-69). Guns were prevalent. Much more than today. Just about every male student carried a knife. There were no security measures, no rules or regulations, teachers were threatened constantly. Fights occurred daily on or near the school premises. Gangs of "frats" and "greasers" were everywhere.

If you step off your soap box for 5 minutes and really examine today's school environment you would realize we have made tremendous strides in ensuring that students get a safe and secure educational experience. There will always be violence, as there always has, but, we are now better prepared to minimize and contain those threats.

cigard 8 years ago

He's gone, right? We should not see him every again in our school district, right? Crc

Jhawkwife 8 years ago

buddy2me...I attended Baldwin high school...I would know.

Btuckel 8 years ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad an beawolf i agree with both of you. im just putting my input in on the article, 20yrs ago Baldwin had a grain silo bout were sonic is, it was a small farm town. the town itself has changed drastically in 10yrs. every school district in the U.S. has problems an trust me Baldwin is still an excellent community to grow up in, i graduated in 09 from mission valley out past Topeka a small farming community, we would hunt in the morning have the rifles laying in the seat in plain view. Every school has some type of violence no denying that. if you want to prevent the decay of society i honestly believe it all starts with parenting teaching the kids whats wrong whats right, my father is 65 my mom 53, i was raise to be polite an do the right thing, i look at younger generations an see kid who need a foot in the ass, no respect what so ever, i look at there parents an see that they dont care what there kids do idk this parenting thing could go on, hope you get some info out of this

buddy2me 8 years ago

jhawkwife, your a dumb***. I have one kid there and he loves it more than the Lawrence School District. I also have one kid in the Lawrence District, that is why I had one of them move to Baldwin. So guess what it just depends on the person, but don't assume that just because you didn't like it back when you went that it is bad now for everyone, because it's not!

Jhawkwife 8 years ago

buddy2me 8 years ago

Wow, jhawkwife, you are a real peach. So glad that you can use the correct spellings all the time. So sorry that I have a hard job and was in a hurry to get my post in. Being so smart that you are really takes away from the real **s you are! 2001 is a long time ago, get with the times.

buddy2me 8 years ago

I'm so glad that jhawkwife has only been on the posting since November 19th, 2009. Every day we get some jerk on here that thinks their opinion should be shared by everyone. Like I said, just because you don't like Baldwin now doesn't mean everyone needs to feel that way, so keep your opinion to yourself or expect replys.

bc 8 years ago

Jhawkwife, Please elaborate on why the current administration is horrible. From what I understand, the problem was delt with immediately, safely, and a school reach call went out to all high school parents by 4pm that day explaining the course of events that occurred that day. I'd say it couldn't go any better.

Seeing as you posted the same exactly comments about the administration on the baldwin signal website, I'm sure you just have a personal bone to pick.

Jhawkwife 8 years ago

buddy2me....i'm just stating my opinion. You don't have to like it. I thought that's what these blogs were for. I just personally don't like the administration, from what they did or didn't do to people I know. This incident that happened with the gun just doesn't surprise me. Baldwin is going downhill. I'm glad your kid likes it there, but as a resident of Baldwin my whole life, it just seems to me that the administration always changing is the reasons for incidents occuring.

beawolf 8 years ago

Btuckel ,

I don't disagree with your assessment, but I wonder if we are looking at life from a different perspective now that we are older. Are parental attitudes really different? I recall many dysfunctional families in my old neighborhood. Some kids turned out great regardless, and I know some who spent the majority of their adult lives behind bars.

Both of my children are teachers and I've gained a great deal of insight about the behavioral tendencies of our youth ( at least in the classroom), and it's refreshingly positive.

There will always be rotten apples in every bushel. That doesn't mean they are all bad.

bevy 8 years ago

Just an FYI for the person who asked if the student was gone, under Federal regulations a firearms incident at school is a mandatory expulsion for 186 days. That's 186 SCHOOL days, not calendar days. So this kid won't be back for a long time, if ever.