Archive for Monday, November 16, 2009

Lecompton man dies from injuries he received in motorcycle accident

The passenger injured in a Nov. 6 motorcycle accident died Sunday at KU Hospital. The rider was not wearing a helmet when the accident occurred.

November 16, 2009

A Lecompton man died Sunday from injuries he suffered in a Nov. 6 motorcycle accident on Kansas Highway 10, a local funeral home said.

Jason Kenney, 21, was riding as a passenger on a motorcycle that was struck by a car at an entrance ramp to the Kansas Turnpike west of Lawrence. The Kansas Highway Patrol said Kenney wasn’t wearing a helmet.

The driver of the motorcycle, Matthew Smith, 21, Lawrence, also was injured and not wearing a helmet. He is hospitalized in fair condition at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., a hospital spokesman said.

Officers said Smith and Kenney were headed south on K-10 when the motorcycle was hit by a car heading north and trying to turn left into the Lecompton turnpike toll plaza.

The driver of the car, 21-year-old Karissa Pinegar, of Lawrence, did not require medical attention, the highway patrol said.

Services for Kenney will be announced by Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home.

Comments

bevy 4 years, 4 months ago

This event has cost one life and ruined two others. Jason was a good friend of my family, and he will be missed. His death was a tragedy - which might or might not have been prevented had he been wearing a helmet. That's not what this forum is about.

I cannot feel angry with the young woman who was driving. Her life will never be the same either, and they are all so young. I only hope that Jason's friend who was driving the bike makes it through o.k., and that he doesn't blame himself for what happened.

I'm saying prayers for all three families. RIP Jason. You will be missed.

JP30 4 years, 5 months ago

So just to let you know how the driver Karissa is doing is that nobody in her family has talked to her she wont answer her phone and talk to her brother or father and now this is when you have to worry....And from what she said was that she was not texting while driving but thats what the brother relayed to me

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 5 months ago

Why is she not getting charged? Read the last sentence of misslawrence's 12:40am post. There is your answer!

misslawrence 4 years, 5 months ago

Didn't know you could go to prison for texting. that's what she was doing. heard her step-dad is Danny Ward of the police dept.

daschie88 4 years, 5 months ago

Because the driver did not fail to yield. Both vehicles were very close to the yellow line (seeing as the car was going to turn) and the motorcycle was traveling at an excessively high speed. Hence why she never saw them, and they probably didn't see her since they weren't wearing helmets and it gets a little windy in the eyes when you're riding fast. There is no telling who truly hit who in this situation. Unfortunately the news gets out before things are reviewed and people pass judgment before all facts are known. That is why she will not be charged with anything and is not 100% responsible for the accident. She is absolutely devastated that any of this ever happened, by the way. She also was not texting for anyone who was wondering. I can only pray for everyone involved as I know both parties involved. Jason was a member of my graduating class and I've known him for 15 years. He was a good guy. Unfortunately a helmet could have saved his life, so let this be a lesson to all of us. RIP Jason.

bearlybrewed 4 years, 5 months ago

Red devil, Calm down....no need to name call as this shows a closed mind. The world is not as you alone see it.

bearlybrewed 4 years, 5 months ago

I am required to wear a seatbelt while driving an automobile because it is a safety precaution for these "what if" happenings. However, motorcyclists aren't required to wear helmets. Common sense and an instinct of surviving would warrant an action to ensure one's safety...just in case. And, who is to say the cyclists were not driving inattentively or at a high rate of speed (which it seems more often than not is the case for cyclists)?

hipper_than_hip 4 years, 5 months ago

How did the driver not get a failure to yield the right of way citation?

red_devil 4 years, 5 months ago

Geezus, once again whether these guys were wearing helmets is not the issue. They were HIT by someone who operated a car illegally!

Everyone knows the statistics for wearing a helmet. I have a problem with idiots coming on here everytime and spouting off about a helmet when it was some other idiot in a car that caused the death! These guys had really bad injuries that a helmet would not have prevented. However, if the driver of the car would have paid more attention, they'd both be walking and talking today.

vhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Stinky, I am heartbroken of your passing, but when we visited you Sunday morning it was clear you had already gone. I love you.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

It's clear from the article that the driver was at fault - she was trying to turn left across oncoming traffic and failed to yield.

She should be held responsible - I agree with others who think that being too lax about accidents like these sends the wrong message.

At the same time, it seems like motorcycle riders ought to wear helmets, if they want to increase their chances of surviving accidents.

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

Accidents happen every day. My prayers go out to all involved.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 5 months ago

This woman should be prosecuted to the full extent that the law allows, if only to act as a deterrent to other careless drivers. As long as we sweep aside these illegal actions as just "accidents" and continue to show sympathy for the life taker, we are endorsing the same behavior in the future. She may or may not feel remorse, but at least proper legal process would ensure she paid for her crime.

edjayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

JWFA says: I also believe that it is a very good choice to wear helmets, but we can't force people to wear them if they don't want to.

We can if we make it a law.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 5 months ago

"Has the driver of the car been deemed responsible for the accident?"

For the most part, the fact that she was turning left across a lane of traffic puts her at fault. If there were extenuating circumstances - such as no headlight on the bike after dark - that might make a difference regarding the citation. But, plain and simple, she crossed over the lane that the bike was riding in: she's at fault. She knows that, I'm sure, and will have to come to grips with how her lapse impacted others.

middlemgmt 4 years, 5 months ago

Everyone makes driving mistakes. We are lucky that 99% of them have no significant consequence. If we knew we were going to be in an accident, we would make better decisions. We would make sure we had helmets on, we would double check the seatbelts, and we would put down the phones, etc. Because we get away with this carelessness, we continue to do it. May this be a reminder to everyone to be more careful. I have nothing but sympathy to all involved, including the driver of the car. I know I would be devastated if a mistake I made had the cost of human life.

JP30 4 years, 5 months ago

Jason was my friend and i am related to the person that hit him. I know where you are coming from when you say that she should be charged but if you put yourself in that kind of position i wouldnt know how the hell it would feel to just hurt so many people friends family and even yourself.How could you cope w/ taking someone's life then having to deal w/ court. I dont agree she should be charged w/ murder or manslaughter whatever you want to call it. Most of you need to put yourselves in other peoples shoes before blurting out a bunch of B.S. saying dumb things about Jason and dumb things about the driver.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 5 months ago

I dont understand how the driver of the car could have driven into oncoming traffic

TJ_in_Lawrence 4 years, 5 months ago

Thoughts and prayers go out for all involved.

InspectorJo 4 years, 5 months ago

What a tragic accident!

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved!

Please posters, be respectful and considerate of others.

JWAF88 4 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree with a lot of people. This whole situation will cause a lot of opinions about helmet laws, But I am a firm believer that it all depends on the situation. My father is a motorcycle rider and he was in an acciedent recently and he has clear signs that he hit his head on the road and survived. I also believe that it is a very good choice to wear helmets, but we can't force people to wear them if they don't want to. Those two men didnt know that they were going to get into an accident, neither did the woman of the car. But either way it is a very sad situation that could have been prevented.

9070811 4 years, 5 months ago

My sympathy for both Jason and Karissa. I can't not imagine how both of their families feel right now. Or how Karissa is going to go on. She's a wonderful person and she's going to have to live with this for the rest of her life.

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

sad.

would a helmet save a life? maybe. what if the girl was a better driver? maybe. was she texting? maybe. what if they had gone through the intersection 10 seconds later?
doesn't matter. everyone dies.

rcarver 4 years, 5 months ago

RIP Jason "Stinky" Kenney, you are very loved and will be missed greatly. And thougts and prayers go out to all the rest of family and friends! May God Bless!!!!

bigbird11 4 years, 5 months ago

It's sad to hear when a fellow motorcyclist goes down. I will try to hold off judgment by saying a couple of other things instead.

First of all, condolences to the family of the deceased. Plain and simple. It's very sad to see someone leave earth so suddenly.

Secondly, I feel very bad for the motorist. While many of you want to start the stoning, you must realize she will think about that night everyday for the rest of her life. It's something that will never go away and will change her forever.

Also, I see this story has the potential to become a wild cage match about helmet laws. Don't let it be. Stick with the facts: Yes, they can potentially save lives. That is all you can be sure of. I would be dead if I wasn't wearing mine when I had an accident a while back. Personally, I will always where one (not to mention leather up) every time I throw my leg over a bike.

Best wishes to all involved.

laughingatallofu 4 years, 5 months ago

If the driver broke the law because she failed to yield the right-of-way, then she should be ticketed for failure to yield the right-of-way --- nothing more. And the fact that the motorcyclists were not wearing helmets---an accessory that is known to save lives---means that Mr. Kenney's death is all the car driver's fault? I vote to acquit.

Marion Webster defines an "accident" as (1) an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance - which certainly seems to apply here; and (2) an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance - which can also be applied to the motorcyclists' failure to wear a helmet.

Again, playing the blame game is only going to prolong the hurt resulting from this young man's death.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 5 months ago

Not seeing is not an accident! If you do not have the right of way, it is your responsibility to see. A driver broke the law and somebody paid with their life...

ThoughtPonderer 4 years, 5 months ago

From what I understand, no citations were issued for anyone involved. Neither vehicle saw the other and it was simply an accident. Pointing fingers does not help anyone.

laughingatallofu 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope the driver of the car gets charged for this. <<<

Has the driver of the car been deemed responsible for the accident? If so, she should be charged.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Kenny can't be charged with riding on a motorcycle without a helmet---something that just MAYBE may have saved his life. Oh wait--motorcyclists aren't required to wear helmets--common sense be damned. It's just better to blame someone else when bad things happen.

Condolences to the family and friends. Maybe it was, in fact, a terrible accident. Trying to blame someone will not heal the hurt of the loss.

PLKaws23 4 years, 5 months ago

blue, I agree.... Condolences to all. Coming from a best friend of Jason and Matt, I really hope people will realize that this was an accident and also feel for the young lady driving the car. Accidents happen and both vehicles could have prevented this outcome.

blue73harley 4 years, 5 months ago

JWAF - you must be referring responses to previous stories about the accident. There is nothing to debate here. Condolences to family, friends and even to the driver of the car. She must be suffering, too.

PLKaws23 4 years, 5 months ago

JWAF88- Jason's condition was stable enough to fly from the time he arrived at LMH. I have spoken to a member of the medic crew that transported him.

JWAF88 4 years, 5 months ago

Jason was as close to me as a blood brother, I loved him, and I miss him very much, and anyone that would like to talk all this rediculous trash on the incident, try asking your opinionated selves how would you feel, if some self-absorbed, big mouthed jerk-off, was talking trash on you or someone you cared very much about. If you all even had the slightest clue, the county Fire and EMS professionals were doing all they could to expedite those to guys as quickly and as safetly as possible, as far as an air ambulances response goes, if they are in the middle of a shift change there is a bunch of stuff they have to do before they can even get in the air, and if they cannot stabilize a patient on the ground air ambulances will not take them anyway. But if anyone would like to further debate this situation just let me know

gccs14r 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand how so many car drivers get away without so much as a traffic ticket when they kill motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.

LPollard 4 years, 5 months ago

Hope Jason has a good trip to heaven. I hope the driver of the car gets charged for this.

yankeevet 4 years, 5 months ago

Motorcycles; just death on two wheels.................

ThoughtPonderer 4 years, 5 months ago

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the families of all young people involved.

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, from a neighbor. Seemed like a really nice kid.

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear that. May the family and friends find peace in their time of sorrow.

bevy 4 years, 5 months ago

Jason was a fine young man, very kind. Always smiling and having fun. He will be sorely missed. Our prayers are with his family and friends.