Archive for Friday, November 13, 2009

Harrison Barnes chooses North Carolina

Ames High School basketball player Harrison Barnes looks on during practice at the school in Ames, Iowa. The 6-foot-7 standout has been pegged by many as the top prospect in the country.

November 13, 2009

Showing a flair for the dramatic, Ames (Iowa) High School basketball sensation Harrison Barnes announced for the University of North Carolina by placing a Skype call to UNC coach Roy Williams at 3:10 p.m. Friday from Ames (Iowa) High School’s gym.

Rivals.com’s No. 2-rated player, who had laminated signs of his finalists — UNC, Kansas, Duke, Oklahoma, UCLA and Iowa State placed on a table in front of him — phoned Williams, who appeared on a large screen along with members of the Tar Heel team.

There were technical glitches, but the 6-foot-8 Barnes was able to get his point across to Williams and a large crowd that cheered his decision.

“I have loved getting to know the players and coaching staff at North Carolina,” Barnes said. “The UNC program is outstanding. Coach Williams has done a good job of developing his players.”

Barnes said he chose UNC on “Tuesday or Wednesday, (but) it’s never final until you sign your letter of intent.”

He said UNC coach Williams, “found out when everybody else found out, when we did it on the Skype.”

Barnes did not tell the other five coaches of his decision, but did speak to all of them Thursday night.

Of KU, Barnes said: “Coach (Bill) Self has always had my respect for his style of play. His personal approach and demeanor are second to none.”

Barnes’ mom, Shirley, gave her take on the decision: “North Carolina was his pick, and everybody else was second.”

Ben Gouldsmith of the Ames Tribune provided some information for this story.

Comments

Tamaralaug 5 years, 4 months ago

Thats ok, he can go there. He was too dramatic about the whole thing anyway.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 4 months ago

So glad he didn't sign with Puke. KU and UNC were his only choices when it came to elevating his game. His entire drama filled, me first show was over the top. So much for humility. When he gets to college all that crap will be long forgotten. No coach will care about such festivities. Pukies are puking all over themselves. The guy called coach k is in a free fall of his career. Too damn funny.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 4 months ago

Tell 'em about how the brawl affected his decision, keith.

No big deal?

relocatedtarheel 5 years, 4 months ago

UNC is KU's arch-enemy?? You guys are funny. I thought after you sent us packing in 2008 and won the championship that the bitterness would be over. I found out I was wrong the first few days I used my UNC debit card here after moving in August. Ask 100 UNC students who their rival is and 0 out of 100 will say KU. Let it go, guys! Your team is great!

GO HEELS!

lovenhaight 5 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps "arch-enemy" was too strong a word. A tidbit of information for you though, relocatedtarheel...

Anyone who understands college basketball understands why most Jayhawks can't stand UNC. If they don't, they know nothing about the history between the two schools.

Oh, and I've gotten comments when I sport my KU jacket on campus or on Franklin Street...or any time a student walks into my office and sees my Jayhawk gear. Now that you're in Kansas, you'll need to get rid of that Tar Heel arrogance. For g-d's sake, its still a state school. Get over yourselves.

Sincerely,

A relocated Jayhawk in Chapel Hill.

relocatedtarheel 5 years, 4 months ago

What part of "your team is great!" was arrogant? All I said was that I was wrong about thinking that winning a championship would help the relationship between KU and Roy being at UNC. Get over yourself!!

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 4 months ago

I only wish that he would've stayed in the Midwest, like ISU or another Big XII school. It is no fun losing a recruit to NC, but that's next year. This year is the only year that matters and it looks goodl. Real good.

MIke Mallory 5 years, 4 months ago

your press conference sucked, hope nothing good for you

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

uniku- uh, royce wooldrige cj. henry, jeff withey, Morris twins, elijah, thomas robinson, tyshawn, plus captain knight? we don't need arrogance of laminated signs at a press conference. this whole thing reminds me of that kid that held the press conference with the hats on the table. He picked up the KU hat, looked it over-then tossed it on the table and donned the UCLA hat with a big smile on his face. (yeah Baron Davis) Looky what it done for him. you can keep your drama students, we'll keep the national championship trophy. thanks.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 4 months ago

Interview with Roy Williams on NPR this morning. He talks about why he left KU--

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page for the link to the audio stream.

A Basketball Hoop Changed UNC Coach's Life