Archive for Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Police accuse ‘victim’ in Long John Silver’s break-in of lying, committing crime himself

November 11, 2009

A man who said he was robbed and kidnapped Friday night has been arrested on suspicion of falsely reporting a crime and burglarizing the business he worked for, local authorities said.

Kris Wenberg, 21, was arrested Wednesday morning at his home, Douglas County Jail records said. During an interview with 6News and the Lawrence Journal-World on Tuesday, the man described how he was knocked unconscious and driven to a country road north of Lawrence by two men who stole the keys to his employer, Long John Silver’s, 1503 W. 23rd St.

Wenberg was treated at the hospital for the injuries he received during the alleged kidnapping and had a staple placed in his head to close a gash.

On Tuesday, Lawrence police said they were actively investigating the reported crimes and made no indication that the story was possibly made up.

Wenberg will likely have his first appearance in court on Thursday. He’s being held in Douglas County Jail on $3,000 bond, according to jail records.

Brian Farrar, a 24-year-old homeless man, was charged with burglary and theft in the case, court records said. Police said Farrar is an acquaintance of Wenberg’s who was also involved with the break-in at the restaurant.

Police are seeking a third suspect and ask anyone with information about the crime to call Crimestoppers, at 843-8477 (TIPS).

Comments

garyr 5 years, 3 months ago

What? No way! Who would of thought this? Me. That's who.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

Glad they took off the old article, I commented on it no way he would do this to rob what amounts to a months pay. I always underestimate the stupidity of humans.

ksdivakat 5 years, 3 months ago

AHHH see informed....this is how Lawrence rolls.....they are the ultimate judge and juror, or so they think!

garyr 5 years, 3 months ago

I guess it's the circle of life, karma, whatever you want to call it. He stole LJS booty from the restaurant, Bubba's going to steal his booty in prison.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence people are getting pretty wacky these days.

ksdivakat 5 years, 3 months ago

py...it wasnt directed to you, however, read the comment above mine, or go to the original story where posters swore that it was someone who was "casing the joint" and knew when the guy had his keys, yip, thats where I got it! I know probably to you they are just discussions, but to most people they are their life it seems. All riled up and wanting to blame the left and right and dems and reps, and conservatives and liberals and athiest and christians, so when they make themselves look foolish, im sorry but it is a bit funny as it were.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if it was as simple as looking at security camera footage.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

We can't make him walk the plank, that was one of the first things gone with the budget cuts. Not a bad idea though, a plank anchored on the bridge, the east span, so the body will float downriver.

deskboy04 5 years, 3 months ago

A big pile of fish and chips sounds good!

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if the perp rang that bell on the way out...scurvy dog.

hbjayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

The article forgot to mention that Wenberg was a K-State graduate. Nice job!!

JGr 5 years, 3 months ago

I know that you want to feel like the elite Jayhawk - but Wenberg is not a graduate of any college.

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

I would put him in a cell and let him eat nothing but Long Johns for a year.

lawrencelifer 5 years, 3 months ago

After waiting for 45 minutes for a carry-out order last week, and watching a number of people glaring over the counter while waiting for food, I was afraid someone really had sought some fast food (or slow food in this case) justice. The last time I had eaten at LJS previously was about 8 month prior, and it took a long time too. That's about how long it takes to forget a bad experience, I guess.

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

I've never had a good experience at ANY Long John Silver. Every time resulted in stomach cramps and half an hour on the porcelain throne. It's been probably 25 years since I was last in one. I'd eat a convenience store hotdog first before I went back to one again.

Meatwad 5 years, 3 months ago

Who gave him keys? If I had given him keys, I would have changed my mind as soon as I saw those zipper pants.

Kris_H 5 years, 3 months ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says…

I would put him in a cell and let him eat nothing but Long Johns for a year.

That would be a death penalty, wouldn't it? :D

George_Braziller (Anonymous) says…

..... I'd eat a convenience store hotdog first before I went back to one again.

You, sir, scare me. :D

Wonder if the third person is the one who bashed him in the head, or the hired homeless guy did, or if he managed that himself? I have to say, on this one, if it's like they're saying, nobody got hurt except someone who deserved to.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty--

That's not true at all. Try this search string:

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Quigly 5 years, 3 months ago

Good one meatwad! I saw those wak parachute pants whatever they are. what happens when there is high winds? he looks skinny enough to be swept up like a kite. HA ,a ICP kite!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty--

The key to our search engine is throwing as many keywords as possible at it. I just put in the victim's name, which returns any story about Rachel Leek, and then limited it to only those that contain the DA's name. DA Charges didn't work because we don't ever use the colloquial abbreviation DA in our writing, so the search engine can't find that. And Rachel Leek probably would have worked, you would just have had to click the more search results link in the upper right corner of the story search result.

Jonathan

FarneyMac 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty: pwned. Another wacko conspiracy theory thwarted!

M. Lindeman 5 years, 3 months ago

KEITHMILES05 (Anonymous) says…

Lawrence people are getting pretty wacky these days.

rdragon writes:

Lawrence has never been short of wacko's, it just seems there wacky dial has been turned up a notch or two. If you don't think we have aways had them, then just look at some of the posters to the LJW.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty-

You've got a spelling error. Rachel, not Rachael. That accounts for why you're seeing so few results.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty-- We can only show so many results on one page. In the top right you'll see something that says "3 of 8 results." If you click that, you'll see the story you're looking for.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

beawolf 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty,

Take a few minutes and think things through when you search. Look at the search page, see what options are available, always check your spelling, try different key words or get JK to come to house and do the search for you.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

May ole boy can take a page from the twinkie defense and say it was from eating too many batter crumblies that caused him to rob LJS

BlackVelvet 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty,

LPD and the DA's Office have teamed up to rig it so that only you cannot find the article you seek. They're out to get you, Smitty.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Smitty--

Search engines look for keywords. Even google works this way. If the keyword you typed isn't in the database, it won't find anything. So what your search string was looking for was any item that contained both the word RACHAEL and LEEK. So first the engine found everything with LEEK, and then it removed anything that didn't also have the word RACHAEL. That's why the more keywords you throw at a search string, the more likely you are to get the result you want. At the same time, though, if you put in a keyword that doesn't exist, it'll blow the whole search. You have to balance getting a meaningful number of results that you can sort through, but also getting what you're looking for.

Jonathan

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 3 months ago

Holy crap!! Let Jonathan go get himself some lunch, Smitty.