Archive for Tuesday, November 10, 2009

State health officer to be at H1N1 clinic Wednesday in Lawrence

November 10, 2009

Health reporter Karrey Britt wants to get you involved in her reporting. Follow along in our new health section.

Dr. Jason Eberhart-Phillips, the state’s health officer, will be at the H1N1 vaccination clinic Wednesday at Lawrence’s Quail Run School, 1130 Inverness Drive. The clinic is scheduled to be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Room 176.

It is among a number of clinics set for Wednesday and Thursday at Lawrence public schools.

I've been given the opportunity to interview Eberhart-Phillips about the H1N1 virus and immunizations before the clinic begins.

If you have any burning questions, let me know in the comments below, and I will try to fit in as many as possible and post them.

Comments

chocolateplease 5 years, 1 month ago

I've read that severe or life-threatening reactions to the H1N1 vaccine are more common in children as compared to the reactions in children to the regular seasonal flu vaccine. What are the facts?

GardenMomma 5 years, 1 month ago

My doctor said she could test me for "the flu" in 15 minutes. My child's doctor said it took two hours to get results for "the flu." And another doctor told me the actual H1N1 test was a $1500 test that takes "a lot longer than 15 minutes."

So, which is it?

gisele 5 years, 1 month ago

My 22-month-old daughter received her first dose of the H1N1 vaccine at the Oct. 21 clinic. I was told to bring her back in a month, but I have not seen any more dates for clinics posted beyond Nov. 12. I am sure that hundreds of parents have the same question about whether or not there will be a clinic on Nov. 21. Do you have any information about the follow-up clinics?

Karrey Britt 5 years, 1 month ago

Chocolateplease. The state health director said that he has not heard of any serious reactions to getting the H1N1 vaccine — in children or adults. He said: All we are possibly talking about for those getting the shot, is some redness and soreness and swelling for a couple of days at the site of the injection or possibly a runny nose from those getting the spray or maybe a headache or kind of achy feeling for a day or two." I hope this answers your question.

Karrey Britt 5 years, 1 month ago

GardenMomma. According to the state health director, there is only one CDC-certified test available to determine whether you have H1N1 and it is only provided in the state's health lab. It also is only done for hospitalized patients and those who have doctors participating in a statewide surveillance. He said there's a market for such tests, so watch out. To view his full answer, click on this link http://tinyurl.com/y8d3sm9. Hope this helps.

Karrey Britt 5 years, 1 month ago

gisele. The county health department has not released information about any more clinics, but plan to soon. In the meantime, here's what the state health director had to say: "You can’t get the second dose less than three weeks after the first one because it won’t be helpful. But you can get it anytime after that and the recommendation is about four weeks if you can get it. If you have to wait five or six weeks, it will be just as good once you get it." Hope this helps. I will let everyone know when the next clinics are announced through this Web site.