Archive for Friday, November 6, 2009

Former members of the military encouraged to file papers with county

November 6, 2009


Kay Pesnell, Douglas County register of deeds, encourages all former military personnel who live in Douglas County to file their original discharge papers with her office. The service is free.

The Register of Deeds office is on the third floor of the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The military encourages veterans to record their discharge papers in the county where they live for safekeeping.

For more information, contact the Register of Deeds, 832-5282.


lgreen17 8 years, 4 months ago

More like "when we (the gov't) want to get you back in the military through a forced re-enlistment we will know where you live."

joe_cool 8 years, 4 months ago

Excellent reminder to all. I did this back in my home town. I just have forgot to record it here. Now on my to do list.

This is good for any important documents. Your DD-214 is used a lot for ex-military. Don't want to lose it that's for sure.

kthxbi 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, the DoD has updated the system now so one can pull up their dd214 or equivalent on the internets

infidel 8 years, 4 months ago

While the service may be free, I wonder about the security of documents that contain information that identity thieves would love to have. Are these available through the freedom of information act?

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

I have to agree, they will be the first called in a sudden war/attack, you know it will take awhile for the kids in selected service to be ready for war.

Scott Drummond 8 years, 4 months ago

In an age of severe local government funding problems, it is nice to see a public offical creating needless work.

Clinton Laing 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree, I have never been told to do this, by the military or by any other official. I would like to see the World company cite their source for this. I value my privacy, and I can take care of my own documents very well, thank you.

Jonathan Kealing 8 years, 4 months ago


Here's a sampling of county clerks that offer this service. Whether you need to or not is certainly up to you, but numerous counties offer this service:

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Commenting has been disabled for this item.