Archive for Friday, November 6, 2009

Emergency crews respond to multiple injury, car versus motorcycle accident

A motorcycle lays on its side after a collision with a vehicle Friday at the intersection of Kansas Highway 10 and the Lecompton exit of eastbound I-70. Two people were taken to area hospitals.

November 6, 2009, 5:48 p.m. Updated November 7, 2009, 9:52 p.m.

Accident leaves two in critical condition

An auto accident between a car and motorcycle left two people in critical condition Friday evening. Neither of the two motorcycle riders were wearing helmets. Enlarge video

Emergency crews respond to car versus motorcycle accident

Crews from Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical as well as Wakarusa Township Fire responded to a two-injury car versus motorcycle accident in the area of the intersection between the Kansas Turnpike and the South Lawrence Trafficway in West Lawrence. Enlarge video

Crews from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the Lecompton Township Fire Department were called to the Kansas Turnpike exit at the South Lawrence Trafficway about 5:35 p.m. Friday for a collision in which a motorcycle struck a car.

Both the late model four-door Mazda, driven by 21-year-old Karissa Pinegar, of Lawrence, and the red motorcycle sustained significant damage in the crash, according to an eyewitness report.

Two 21-year-old men, Matthew Smith, of Lawrence, and Jason Kenney, of Lecompton, were on the motorcycle, and both were seriously injured, Fire Medical Division Chief Rob Kort said. Neither man was wearing a helmet, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

According to KHP, the motorcycle was southbound on the roadway when the car, which was northbound, failed to yield when turning into the eastbound turnpike entrance. Pinegar was not transported but listed by KHP as having possible injuries

Smith was taken by ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka. Kenney was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and received brief treatment there, in order to stabilize his condition, and then was transferred into another ambulance and taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

Both victims were in critical condition Friday night, Kort said.

Emergency crews requested that two helicopter ambulances be dispatched to the scene, but none was available. The LifeStar helicopter based in Lawrence was refueling out of town, and a second air ambulance was unavailable because of a shift change, Kort said.

Condition updates for the two men were not available as of Saturday evening.

A previous version of this story incorrectly stated which township fire department was dispatched to the accident scene.

Comments

spammer89 5 years, 9 months ago

This is horrible just drove by does not look good. I hope everybody is okay, but i have my doubts.

puddleglum 5 years, 9 months ago

just drove by...hope everybody is okay.

GardenMomma 5 years, 9 months ago

I hope the two of you who posted that you "just drove by" are not driving as you are commenting on this. It would be horrible to have another accident.

I sure hope everyone is going to be all right.

greenworld 5 years, 9 months ago

Emergency crews requested two emergency helicopters be dispatched to the scene, however none were immediately available.

None were available? This is not a good sign. I would transport patients to LMH and then lifeflight them from there if needed. Surely these guys arent just sitting around waiting.

greenworld 5 years, 9 months ago

This is at the Lecompton exit at I70 and K10. Im listening to it on my radio. Dont know any injury updates at this time.

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

The other part of that, Multi, is that people already don't look for motorcycles, and even people who might otherwise look for them have quit looking by Halloween.

midwestmom 5 years, 9 months ago

any descriptions of vehicles involved?

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 9 months ago

yea it was a small to medium size car and then it was a motorcycle and the 2 vehicles were going opposite directions while trying to occupy the same space at the same time.

mmcalli 5 years, 9 months ago

I was there shortly after the accident occurred I think. I called 911 at 5:35, stayed to help, and finally, ten minutes later, you could hear sirens. Ambulances started arriving about three minutes later. That was a long time to watch people laying there, not moving.

midwestmom 5 years, 9 months ago

Does that make you feel smart, funny? What Alex? I'm worried about a loved one - looking to find out the color of the motorcycle. I can cite the actual 'law' about 2 objects not occupying the same space in time - can you?

yankeevet 5 years, 9 months ago

motorcycles; nothing but death waiting too happen....

GardenMomma 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh my! Is that the motorcycle UNDER the car? I sure hope that everyone is going to be all right. Good thoughts to all involved.

greenworld 5 years, 9 months ago

I heard on my radio the initial page go out and five Lecompton responders got paged out followed by LFD. I didnt hear the Wakarusa Township Firefighters get paged. Maybe they are part of the LFD page IDK.

greenworld 5 years, 9 months ago

11th and Tenn-motor vehicle accident 7:22

greenworld 5 years, 9 months ago

There was one earliar at Orchard Lane off Iowa, motor vehicle. God people slow the F down.

livetocook 5 years, 9 months ago

Multi- South Park has recently aired an episode aiming to change or add to the definition of a certain word. Here is a clue. Begins with an F and ends with a G. They were targeting Harley 'Riders.' Maybe someday the definition will be: F_G- Multidisciplinary.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 9 months ago

Poor planning to do a Shift change while the other bird is out of town on a refuel. Hope it didn't cost someone their life!

There is always so much discussion about flying everyone to Topeka and Kc because we don't have a sufficient trauma center, I for one think it's time LMH steps up to the plate and upgrades the ER to handle a real trauma!

Most of all, I hope my fellow motorcyclists will be ok!!!

frisbeenation 5 years, 9 months ago

Another awful local incident. Too many of these lately. My heart goes out those involved who were injured and their friends and family. When I read that helicopters were unavailable I nearly wept. Sad, sad, sad stuff around here lately.

gsxr600 5 years, 9 months ago

No helmets? That's not a good sign. Best wishes. Stay alert people!

gsxr600 5 years, 9 months ago

Midwestmom: ~2006ish red Mazda 3 sedan.

Mike Blur 5 years, 9 months ago

The Mazda driver: 21 yo white female, with a surname that I've recognized locally from decades ago.

Could improper cell phone use have played a role in this accident?

PLKaws23 5 years, 9 months ago

Both men on the motorcycle, a 21 year old from lecompton and a 21 year old from tonganoxie, are in critical condition at KU med. One has severe head trama along with other injuries and was in surgery shortly after 9. The other was later life flighted to KU Med with injuries to his leg, in hopes of preventing amputation.

spammer89 5 years, 9 months ago

As an avid motorcycle rider that has seen it all. This the reason I support a mandatory helemt law. I have been riding for over 20 years and never once have I rode even for a short distance with out a helmet. I do hope they all make it through this.

somebodynew 5 years, 9 months ago

Multi - I always knew I loved you. Now you have just confirmed it with that last post.

Hope everyone recovers.

Valkyrie 5 years, 9 months ago

I started riding motorcycles in the summer of 1966 and have been riding them ever since. Do I wear a helemt? YES!!!! Back in 1971 I had an old woman run a stop light and I T-boned her car on a Triumph. No hemet. I hit the curb head first and spent a week in ICU. Since then, I won't ride around the block without a helmet. Since there is no helmet law in Kansas few riders heed the saftey of a helmet. It is a know fact that asphalt is much harder than the human skull. Hope the best for the two riders in this accident.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

cjonline is now listing names of all involved if you have a need to know...

parrothead8 5 years, 9 months ago

Best wishes for those involved.

It seems odd that the Lifestar helicopter based in Lawrence has to go out of town to refuel. Don't we have an airport in Lawrence? Don't helicopters fly in and out of there? What do they do for fuel?

Nick Combs 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm an avid rider, commuting 60 miles a day on two-wheels. I firmly believe in wearing as much protective gear as possible at all times. Minimum riding gear includes long thick denim pants, full-face helmet, armored kevlar jacket, kevlar gloves, and ankle covering boots. Doesn't matter if I'm going to the store or riding 100 miles, same gear all the time.

That said, I am 100% against a mandatory helmet law. Personal freedom means the freedom to make stupid decisions and to make decisions people might disagree with. I'd bet that very few riders would disagree that they're safer with a helmet, but many make the choice not to wear them for a variety of reasons, some accurate, most not. Regardless, it is not the state/government's place to make that decision for them or anybody else.

BUT, just to further clarify, I feel for the families of the riders. Riding without a helmet/protective gear is a very selfish and stupid thing to do. As much as I disagree with the rider's choices to ride without them and am saddened they're injured, it was their choice to do so and their choice to accept the risks that come along with that decision.

notjustastudent 5 years, 9 months ago

Fueldrum has a point- the mandatory eye protection is necessary because a motorcyclist suddenly blinded by something can be dangerous to other drivers, but one without a helmet is a danger to themselves only (then again if they're dumb enough not to wear one, maybe there are other things they are dumb about.) I'm glad there are those who have learned their leasons about wearing a helmet, but for everyone one of us that does, it seems there are two that don't. I, for one, wish there was a law against stupid, but that just isnt possible in this world...

I do hope everyone is OK, and it still angers me that this had to happen to anybody.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 9 months ago

Fueldrum: "Regardless, it is not the state/government's place to make that decision for them....."

So long as you expect others (including government and other insureds) support to pay for the long term costs of head trauma and injury, I disagree.

Nick Combs 5 years, 9 months ago

Boston-

I don't expect somebody else's insurance to pay for it. It's my responsibility to either maintain adequate coverage as a motorcycle rider to handle any accident(read: higher than a non-rider), or be self-insured through prudent investment and years of saving.

But insurance is a discussion for another thread.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 9 months ago

Fueldrum: There are floors and floors occupied in long term rehabilitation hospitals filled with your good intentions, on my dime.

nut_case 5 years, 9 months ago

Boston_Corbett (Anonymous) says…

Fueldrum: “Regardless, it is not the state/government's place to make that decision for them…..”

The problem is, not wearing a helmet is pretty low on the list of "what injures / kills most americans" When you start looking at the big picture, heart disease, obesity, etc are orders of magnitude larger.

So maybe we should have government in your living room to make sure you're eating healthy, exercising regularly, not drinking, smoking or doing anything else which might be a burden on society.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 9 months ago

STATUTE: Chapter 8. Automobiles and Other Vehicles. Article 15. Uniform Act Regulating Traffic; Rules of the Road, Special Rules for Motorcycles. Section 8-1598. Operation of motorcycles; equipment required for operators and riders. :

"(a) No person under the age of 18 years shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle, unless wearing a helmet which complies with minimum performance requirements established by the national highway traffic safety administration pursuant to the national traffic and motor vehicle safety act of 1966 for helmets designed for use by motorcyclists and other motor vehicle users."

FINE: The fine for not wearing a helmet is $52, first offense.

midwestmom 5 years, 9 months ago

gsxr600 - Thanks very much! Shortly after my request last night for additional information - heard from errant (late arriving) motorcycle riding adult child.

Thank you again!!

9070811 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh Karissa, such a good girl, I'm sorry she's in this situation.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 9 months ago

Who wants to bet she was jacking with her cell phone!

garyr 5 years, 9 months ago

ahhhhh.....an article about an accident, and no Roger or Donald on here yet....nice. I, for one, am glad they're gone.

GardenMomma 5 years, 9 months ago

I was at a stop light the other day and during the time it took for my light to turn green I saw seven people drive by with a cell phone on their ear and one young man drive by with his eyes down looking at something in his hand - I can only surmise that he was texting or reading a text. It certainly looked like he was texting.

karebear 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, here is the update for all of you that wanted to know. Both are still in the hospital. I know what is going on with Jason since he is my friend as far as Matt goes I will let you know what I know but keep in mind I live in a small town and rumors are abundant. Jason is doing better than expected. He had a fractured skull, bleeding in his brain, bruised lungs, cracked ribs, and a compound fracture in his femur. They did surgery on his leg and everything seems to be looking good there. They stabilized pressure in his brain and they are trying to treat that the best they can. The doctors were worried about brain damage but they tested yesterday and he does have brain activity so as of now, not brain dead. They are trying to keep track of his hearing...they believe he may have some hearing loss so they are keeping a really close eye on it. They have moved him into his own room as of now and friends may get to see him within the next few days. As far as Matt. Was stable at the hospital Friday night and he did have extensive surgery on his leg to repair the damage. As far As I knew they had repaired it and everything looked promising. Now as far as the rumor mill goes I also heard this morning that the repair did not work so they had to amputate it. Please take that with a grain of salt... But as far as I know both guys are stable and I will try to keep updating. Thanks for all of your concerns.