Advertisement

Archive for Friday, November 6, 2009

Charges filed after salsa poisoning

November 6, 2009

Advertisement

Two people were charged Thursday in federal court with poisoning salsa at a Mexican restaurant in Lenexa twice in August and making nearly 50 people sick.

Thirty-year-old Arnoldo Bazan and 19-year-old Yini De La Torre are accused of putting the pesticide Methomyl into salsa at Mi Ranchito restaurant to get back at the owner for Bazan losing his job and car.

Prosecutors say De La Torre put the poison into salsa on Aug. 10, and the next day 12 diners immediately became sick.

She is accused of doing the same thing on Aug. 30, making 36 people ill.

Prosecutors say the husband and wife wanted the restaurant’s owner to be blamed and suffer financial harm.

Comments

GardenMomma 5 years, 2 months ago

That is disgusting and I'm very glad the real culprits were caught. How awful to think that one might be in danger because an employee is p.o.'d at the employer.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with py, attempted homicide. Throw 'em so far under the jail that the keepers will have to shoot beans at 'em with a slingshot.

GardenMomma 5 years, 2 months ago

Just FYI about Methomyl, from http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/methomyl-ext.html

"Methomyl is potentially a highly poisonous material in humans. It is highly toxic if it is ingested or absorbed through the eyes, moderately poisonous when inhaled, but of lower toxicity with skin, or 'dermal,' exposure. Methomyl is a highly toxic inhibitor of cholinesterase, an essential nervous system enzyme. Symptoms of anti- cholinesterase activity include weakness, blurred vision, headache, nausea, abdominal cramps, chest discomfort, constriction of pupils, sweating, muscle tremors, and decreased pulse. If there is severe poisoning, symptoms of twitching, giddiness, confusion, muscle incoordination, slurred speech, low blood pressure, heart irregularities, and loss of reflexes may also be experienced. Death can result from discontinued breathing, paralysis of muscles of the respiratory system, intense constriction of the openings of the lung, or all three. The onset of symptoms may be delayed up to 12 hours. The route, duration, and concentration of methomyl exposure will affect the severity of poisoning and the number and types of symptoms that occur. Complete recovery from an acute poisoning by methomyl, with no long term health effects, is possible if exposure ceases and the victim has time to reform their normal level of cholinesterase and to recover from symptoms.

In addition to cholinesterase-inhibition symptoms which may be observed within 15 minutes to four hours of methomyl ingestion, gastrointestinal disturbances may occur, such as lack of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Liquid concentrate may be fatal if swallowed. Three men died after accidentally eating approximately 12 to 15 mg of methomyl for each kg of body weight when it was mistaken for leavening and baked into their bread. "

Commenting has been disabled for this item.