Archive for Thursday, November 5, 2009

Biggs BBQ owner wins partial victory from Judge Judy in fake ID case

Lawrence restaurant Biggs BBQ appeared on television's Judge Judy show Thursday.

November 5, 2009, 12:01 p.m. Updated November 5, 2009, 11:49 p.m.

Judge Judy hears Lawrence case

Judge Judy hears from Lawrence restaurant owner Doug Holiday and patron Charles Miller in a case involving a fake ID. Enlarge video

Customers at Biggs BBQ, 2429 Iowa, watched an episode of “Judge Judy” on Thursday as the television jurist ruled in a case involving a Kansas University student who was arrested on charges of possessing a fake ID and being a minor in possession of alcohol at Biggs in 2008.

In the end, it came down to the memory of a 22-year-old bartender versus the word of a Kansas University student who admitted to giving false identification to a police officer.

Doug Holiday, owner of Biggs BBQ, 2429 Iowa, was awarded $250 by Judge Judy, the celebrity television jurist, in a case stemming from a 20-year-old KU student using a fake ID to buy beer in his restaurant during the KU men’s basketball national championship game in 2008.

Charles Miller was arrested by Lawrence police and charged with possessing a fake ID and being a minor in possession of alcohol, but the charges were reduced to consumption of alcohol in public, Miller said.

Miller paid about $450, while Holiday was fined $500 for serving alcohol to a minor.

Holiday had sued Miller in small claims court in an effort to recoup the money he lost, and a producer from Judge Judy’s show saw the case and invited them to the televised courtroom.

“We try to do a good job carding people, and I learned a lot about the laws during that time and since then,” Holiday said. “We have to live up to a certain standard to watch people and make sure that people underage aren’t drinking, and sometimes people try to get by with it and hopefully they will think twice.”

Judge Judy — former family court judge Judith Sheindlin — said she couldn’t be sure the restaurant had carded Miller because of the memory of the bartender, but said because the student had the intent to defraud the restaurant just by entering with a fake ID, he deserved to pay a larger fine than Holiday.

Maddie Tritsch was the bartender on duty that night and said she was nervous during the taping of the show.

“That was probably the most nerve-racking part is, I thought she was going to yell at me,” Tritsch said. “She didn’t get after me; she just really laid into (Miller).”

The restaurant was filled with supporters during the watch party Thursday afternoon. Along with free food and several customers dressed as Judge Judy, there were also cheers when the verdict was read by Sheindlin.

“I have talked to a couple of people in the state Legislature, and hopefully we can get some laws changed and hopefully strengthen the fake ID laws,” Holiday said. “It’s been fun, and it’s been a good experience overall.”

The restaurant also offered amnesty to anyone who wanted to shred their own fake ID, offering a $10 gift certificate to Biggs BBQ in exchange for each fraudulent ID.

Comments

Bassetlover 5 years, 1 month ago

Would have appreciated a SPOILER alert! Thanks for blowing the outcome before I had a chance to watch it myself. Sheesh!!!!!!!

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

Whoa, a $10 gift certificate in exchange for a fake ID? I bet the kids are going to be lining up around the building to take advantage of this sweet deal. Hope Biggs BBQ has more than one shoebox to hold all those IDs they are going to receive this afternoon.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

You know I have not got a clue as to where or how to get a fake ID. If anyone knows, please tell me.

William Pike 5 years, 1 month ago

Couldnt you just go make a copy of your id... That make a FAKE id... shame on LJworld for reporting the outcome before it airs

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 1 month ago

Hi Wpike--

We did wait until the show aired, but it airs twice in Lawrence. We reported after the first showing.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

maxcrabb 5 years, 1 month ago

Irish- The standards for a real ID are quite high, but the standards for a fake ID.. well, they rest somewhere below that.

So just make your own! Cardboard, crayon, and a photo of yourself should do the trick. Aw hell, just draw yourself on there!

BorderBattleKU21 5 years, 1 month ago

Irish

There are many ways to make fake or get fake id's. There is actually computer software that can make a legit looking id and people who sell them insert a picture, print, and laminate. It is just an id, not a DL. Another way people get ahold of fake ids is by buying a DL off a friend. That person then goes to the DMV and reports that they have lost their DL and get a new one at the minors expense. I have never done this or have I ever needed to. I have heard of people doing this. These people who sell these id's make alot of money. The id's are not cheap and several KU students produce them.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 1 month ago

I've still got an old KU id, from fall semester '82. (You know, before computerized enrollment, and long lines for pulling class cards in Allen Field House) Since I no longer resemble myself as I was at 18, can I bring that id to Biggs and qualify?

afraidnot 5 years, 1 month ago

But what wil they use their $10 gift card to buy when they no longer have their fake ids?

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

Too bad Biggs had to step forward and teach this young man something his parents should have. Hopefully other underage drinkers will take notice. Thanks Biggs for standing up and saying “this is wrong”. Too many young people nowdays think it doesn't matter who gets hurt as long as they get what they what because they know that is the only thing that is important. Mr. Miller's last statement says it all “Don't be the one that gets caught” not “you should not use a fake ID”. Biggs was smart to let Judge Judy handle it because he probably would have gotten anything from Lawrence judges.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 1 month ago

The young man got off easy and made himself look like the dumbo he is and why did he get to plea down after he's caught red handed with a fake id for the express purpose of obtaining alcohol illegally? Doug Holiday did our society a BIGGS favor by doing the right thing.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

I have a fake id from when I was 16 and the legal drinking age at the time (for beer) was 18. If I brought this in to Biggs, would I get the $10 coupon?

I enjoyed how Holliday started talking for the defendant and Judge Judy shut him down! Pretty funny. Too bad the little brat didn't have to pay the whole fine, or I should say too bad the little brat's parents didn't have to pay the whole fine. -zing!

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

Sad thing is he probably thought he would win, nobody would go on television unless they thought they would win.

Eride 5 years, 1 month ago

I would like to point out that this guy paid the fine for his own plea bargain of $452 and he possibly would have had to pay whatever the damages were had this case proceeded in small claims court and he had lost. Instead it was picked up by this TV show. In case you are not aware, Judge Judy pays for the damages given on her show. She is not acting as a real judge. It is basically arbitration but the show pays for the outcome.

It isn't like he got off easy.

BorderBattleKU21 5 years, 1 month ago

BIggs is not so innocent here. I have gone there since I was 19-22 and I have never been carded!!! Everyone I go with never gets carded either. I imagine they are stepping up that now. But I do not buy the Bartenders story about actually carding the guy. They never carded till they got ticketed! Serves them right!

mdrndgtl 5 years, 1 month ago

bigdave 5 years, 1 month ago

manONmoon 5 years, 1 month ago

This is garbage that he had to pay anything. He paid his fine. So let me get this straight. Judy thought the law was wrong, and decided that he should pay more than Biggs??? It's not hard to spot a fake ID. This is total injustice.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

What if Miller had not wanted to be part of this and had said no and backed out?

mr_right_wing 5 years, 1 month ago

Wow...not necessarily good press for KU. How many of their other students are this moronic? Now a K-State or Mizzou student...well...no surprise there.....

angel4dennis 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe senators should watch this and help lower the drinking limit back to 18. It would solve many issues. Why is it that you have the right to vote, the expectation to register, and the legal right to join the military at 18 BUT you do not have the right to sit and consume an alcoholic beverage? I did hear Judge Judy ask him why he didn't get a beer and sit at home to watch the game. So maybe she agrees that the law should be changed since clearly he wasn't 21, even to sit at home and drink. Didn't care for the comments the owner was throwing in either. He should not have said anything, truth is, you are in a college town and you are taking the risk of getting a few people with fake ids. You can't catch everyone. So he should have sucked it up and paid the fine. It is a risky business when you sell alcohol, he should know that, but what a great way to get some advertising out of this situation!