Archive for Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Public invited to tour library’s new computer lab

November 4, 2009

Area residents will soon have a chance to tour the Lawrence Public Library’s new computer lab.

The library will host an open house of the Sunflower Broadband Community Computer lab from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Nov. 15 at the library, 707 Vt.

Sunflower Broadband and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation both provided funding for the library to open the new lab, which adds 12 new computer stations to the library in a remodeled section of the library’s lower level.

The additional computers bring the library’s total number of public access computers to 62.

The open house will feature a brief welcome, refreshments and tours.

Sunflower Broadband provided funding to the library for construction and lab furnishings, while the Gates Foundation provided a grant for the new computers and software.

Sunflower Broadband is owned by The World Company, which is the parent company of the Lawrence Journal-World.

Comments

muddfoot55 4 years, 5 months ago

I just switched my phone and internet to Sunflower from _&. Better price. besides, I can actually go to their office and speak with a real person face to face if I need to.

persevering_gal 4 years, 5 months ago

If I, or the vast majority of college students even still had a landline, I would like to think that a package deal would be a great deal as well. Sorry, Sunflower, time to upgrade your packages and get with the 21st century.

@kuhusker, lol at the quarter comment! Hilarious!

9070811 4 years, 5 months ago

Sunflower is such an obnoxious monopoly in Lawrence.

nuby 4 years, 5 months ago

Wonder if they are going to kick all the homeless out that day that are always there playing on-line poker.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 5 months ago

Ha, Ha! I get my cable, phone and internet from Sunflower and I find their prices reasonable. You can get the lifeline service for the internet and phone if you qualify. Of course if you get the gold level it is going to cost more than if you go with bronze. Before we get any of these services Sunflower has to pay for them first. They also have to pay for the office space, utilities and the dozen little things you need to run an office, pay their employees, and how about gas for their service trucks? I am very happy with Sunflower as they have always been very kind and courteous to me and responsive to my questions. Would not think of going with anyone else.

gsxr600 4 years, 5 months ago

I normally would say something negative about Sunflower here, but I just saw my sunflower bill and Silver internet went from 15gb to 25gb p/month. And hey, no price increase! I would love more, but 25gb is something I can work with.

kuhusker 4 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it make more sense to call the place "The Bill and Melissa Gates Community Computer Lab" -- after all, they bought the computers?

I wonder if users of the computers will have a bandwidth meter running while they surf? Just insert a quarter into the slot every 100 kilobytes...it will be just like making a long distance call from a pay phone!

macon47 4 years, 5 months ago

i would like to complain but since this blog is on the owners of sunflowers website, i dont think that would be very polite and my mother taught me better than to make a butt out of my self in front of others if you want to whine go to larryville with the other arm chair quarterback looney liberals

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

The "Sunflower Broadband Community Computer lab"? Really? Gee, how nice of Sunflower. I would have thought that they were barely making a profit seeing as they are charging the people of Lawrence such a reasonable price for cable and internet service.

I wonder if they'll be serving lobster and Dom Perignon at the open house? (Just kidding. I strongly encourage everyone in attendance to keep your wallet in your front pocket so that sunflower doesn't try to rob you.)