Archive for Saturday, May 30, 2009

One person flown to Kansas City hospital after serious accident on Sixth Street

A motorcycle lies in Sixth Street after a car versus motorcycle accident left one person seriously injured Saturday afternoon.

May 30, 2009, 1:16 p.m. Updated May 31, 2009, 12:05 p.m.

One life-flighted after car and motorcycle collide

A serious accident involving a car and a motorcycle left at least one person injured and traffic on Sixth Street diverted onto Seventh Street on Saturday afternoon. Enlarge video

Traffic backs up along Seventh Street after a serious accident on Sixth Street involving a car striking a motorcycle.

Police investigate what caused a car turning south from Sixth Street to Tennessee Street to strike a motorcycle that was eastbound on Sixth Street.

A 33-year-old Lawrence man was seriously injured Saturday afternoon in an accident near the intersection of Sixth and Tennessee streets.

Witnesses said that the motorcyclist was heading east on Sixth Street when he was hit by a woman who was making a turn from Sixth Street south onto Tennessee Street. Police received the call at 12:32 p.m.

The motorcyclist, who witnesses said was unresponsive at the scene, was flown by helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital, emergency dispatchers said.

Lawrence police released Sunday the identity of the motorcyclist, Patrick Sander, a 33-year-old Lawrence man. He was driving a 2001 Kawasaki motorcycle.

KU Medical Center officials said Sunday they could neither confirm nor deny Sander was being treated at the hospital.

The accident caused traffic heading east on Sixth Street to be diverted to Seventh Street; vehicles were backed up for several blocks.

Comments

mammaweeks3 4 years, 10 months ago

I looked at this bike as I was headed downtown and my first thought was, "Wow, whoever was on that bike had to have been very messed up." My second thought, "I hope he was wearing a helmet." I have a rule for my kids, if you are on something that moves faster than your feet or climbing on something that is higher than your head and there is a hard surface underneath you, like concrete, you wear a helmet. They think that I am crazy. My reason, you only have one brain and neck and you will regret breaking either one. I have cared for many people that have suffered from head injuries and strokes from no fault of their own and those that had the metal capacity to wished that they were back to their old selves and could undo the damage. I think that if you can be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt you should be ticked for not wearing a helmet. I appreciate that it is a personal decision but how many of those that have suffered from head injuries from not wearing a helmet have regretted not wearing one? You are less able to voice your desires and exercise your rights when you are dead or in a coma. With all the deaths in recent months due to motorcyclists not wearing helmets and with many more in the near future with summer just starting I hope that everyone that rides a bike will remember the looks of this bike. Everyone who rides without a helmet needs to decide if the discomfort of a helmet for a brief time is worse than a bed sore or being intubated or IV's running out of every opening possible or ultimately not even being able to take care of themselves for even a brief amount of time. If it is decided that they would rather suffer with the above and still do not wear a helmet then they do deserve to be cared in the best possible way. I as a health care worker will do what I can do change these laws remembering all the patients I have cared for that have had had all that they are used to taken away. My prayers are with all that were affected by this tragedy.

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

gsxr600 (Anonymous) says…

Helmet saved my life a month ago. Doctor said if I wasn't wearing it I'd have a broken skull for sure, potentially be in a coma. As it is getting warmer, a lot of people look at me funny when I'm riding around with a black leather jacket on. I'd rather be hot and sweaty than lose my skin. Gear will not always save your life but it will give you the best chance of living through an accident.

Hope the guy pulls through..

Thanks for sharing your story.

I think bikers desperately need to hear such stories from fellow bikers such as yourself as well as stories from health care providers such as misplacedcheesehead.

Maybe then they will realize that when the subject of helmets comes up it isn't about preaching & wanting to take away someones freedoms, but rather to help minimize the damaged when an accident happens.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

deja, The guys I knew back when said they couldn't hear some cars coming...pedestrians shouting if necessary...too hot..and they could still get broken necks etc. It was their choice. Note..those same guys all wear them now they they've grown over 25 and have families. They got tired of bugs in their teeth and finally had friends who got messed up badly. Can't put an old head on a young body.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm not trying to start a debate but being a non-motorcyclist I'm curious as to why people prefer to not wear a helmet. Is it a comfort thing? I know like seat belts they aren't guaranteed to save lives every single time but the statistics are in their favor. I don't think seat belts are completely comfortable but even if it wasn't a law I'd still wear it to be safe. My personal feelings is that as long as it's a law to wear seat belts for safety reasons it absolutely should be a law to wear helmets for safety reasons also.....and (a little off subject) I think all kids on school buses should be wearing seat belts. There are still running school buses that don't even have seat belts and I don't understand why that isn't required.

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

rcr (Anonymous) says… "I am sure those helmets save my butt."

If that is true, you were wearing them incorrectly.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

I meant to type "who asked", instead of "you asked". Oh, I did not compliment you for your shockingly insensitive comment. Google the word.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish I could reach through the computer and slap the poster who said the man shouldn't have resources "wasted" on him , because he wasn't wearing a helmet. I am a big fan of helmets. No, I'm not a rider. I have a brother in Wi who is. Like I said in my previous post, I've cared for persons with horrific injuries which could have been lessened, had a helmet been worn. This fact, however, does not give ANY of us the right to suggest he be denied the very best care available. Shame on you!!!

And what's with the mamzer you asked if the dreadlocks soaked up th blood? WTF!! How can you be so cold toward another human being??

gsxr600 4 years, 10 months ago

Hope the guy pulls through..

biggunz 4 years, 10 months ago

family family family

family family family

family family family

wtf?

rcr 4 years, 10 months ago

First my thoughts and prayers to the rider and his family.

"And yes, I've almost hit a few motorcycles because I looked but just didn't see them."

Look twice, be sure.

"Most drive safely but a few seem to think none of the rules of the road don't apply to them, the same as some drivers, young and old."

The same can be said of people operating cars, semi trucks, bicycles, etc. It's not just a motorcycle problem.

"The protection might not always save you but there is a better chance with it than without."

I agree on this 100%. I have been involved in two MC accidents, and both time I made the "choice" to wear a helmet. I am sure those helmets save my butt. I still have the helmet I was wearing last year when someone didn't look before making an illegal turn, running me over in the process. That helmet has road rash covering it's side where it smacked the ground. No helmet, that would have been my head.

biggunz 4 years, 10 months ago

And why is "family" highlighted in every post?

biggunz 4 years, 10 months ago

notwhatyouthink (Anonymous) says…

"This is helmet issue because if he had a full face helmet on he would have walked away from the accident.

Pure and Simple."

So, how do you know that? I think it's too bad the biggest issue here is use of a helmet instead of 1st and foremost for most posters on this thread watching out for motorcycles everywhere you go. Like someone else said, pay attention. They're everywhere and not always easy to see. Remember that, talk about that. Dude wouldn't have had to worry about walking away from an accident if someone in a car hadn't caused the accident.

redmoonrising 4 years, 10 months ago

I do feel sorry for this man and his family and friends. Let's pray that he was unconcious only and recovers with no serious after effects. Having lived with someone with brain damage, I can tell you, it isn't fun. Before you get into a car or onto a motorcycle next time with no seat belt or helmet, think about the family who might have to take care of you for the rest of your life. The protection might not always save you but there is a better chance with it than without. Not using them is selfish. And yes, I've almost hit a few motorcycles because I looked but just didn't see them. Most drive safely but a few seem to think none of the rules of the road don't apply to them, the same as some drivers, young and old.

Stacy Napier 4 years, 10 months ago

Pure and Simple.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

some 70-year-old drivers are too d----d old to drive!

require actual driving tests for all drivers to renew their licenses after age 65!

Py, you're right, something in my brain clogged up when I first read this! I reread it and no indication the motorcyclist was turning!

car pulled across his path, no chance to avoid accident.

I sincerely pray he will recover.

shame on the dredlocks/pbr comment. when you get hit, we'll all line up to pi$$ on your grave. and we'll make such low comments so your family will be hurt more in its grieveing.

Lori Nation 4 years, 10 months ago

Thoughts and prayers for all parties involved just think the school board thinks its safe for our children to walk to and from school with traffic like that. I'm just glad school is over.

5thgeneration 4 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe how this has turned into a helmet law debate. My father and many like him fought hard to get a repeal of the helmet law in the 70's. How many of you pro helmet people are motorcyclists? Saying that someone who opts to not wear a helmet should have no resources wasted on him/her is like saying that if your car as no airbag.......don't waste ER resources.............. because you made a choice to operate a car with substandard or outdated safety equipment. This truly makes me sick. How can you pass judgment on someone like that? Who said he was suffering from a head injury? You can have a full face helmet and hit a car with your torso and still have a life threatening or potentially paralyzing injury. This sounds like "wear a helmet, or get #$*@$!". By that standard.................. don't drive your vintage pre-seatbelt car and get in an accident because if you do....you don't deserve the help you may need to save your life. Where is the compassion?

SwineFlu 4 years, 10 months ago

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

red_devil (Anonymous) says…

If a person can't drive a car in a safe manner that person has do damn business driving, period! The weather has gotten better, there are bikes on the road. Open your eyes people and pay attention. Whether or not the guy was wearing a helmet is irrelevant! That's not what caused some idiot in a car to turn in front of him.

No one is disputing the responsibility for the accident being the driver.

However, wearing a helmet is not irrelevant. Wearing or not wearing a helmet may make the difference between life and death or unrepairable damages.

Blaming the driver may give you some sense of vindication, but it won't bring a dead man back to life, or a pvs patient back to consciousness.

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

"Come in with head injuries and no helmet, don't waste resources, he made the choice."

Using that logic, I guess ER's should refuse to treat anyone that has been involved in an automobile accident. Or ANY kind of accident for that matter. After all, the victim knew the dangers of their actions and chose to do so anyway.

red_devil 4 years, 10 months ago

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

geekin, forgot that point. You're right.

red_devil 4 years, 10 months ago

It's common sense that if someone gets a head injury and is not wearing a helmet, you don't "waste" resources on that person because it was their choice? Whatever, scumbag.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 10 months ago

"Actually none2, all the ER's should have a firm rule. Come in with head injuries and no helmet, don't waste resources, he made the choice." ++++ I realize this may not be the time; un-helmeted riders make great organ donors so, hardly a waste of resources.

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

Plain common sense and accident statistics prove that. Same thing with no seatbelt.

red_devil 4 years, 10 months ago

What kind of a dck are you to say that someone gets a head injury and no helmet write them off! So someone in a car accident doesn't wear a seatbelt and gets thrown from the vehicle you say tough sht?!?! Don't waste resources???

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

If he had been wearing a helmet he would have a lot better chance of surviving. Plain common sense and accident statistics prove that.

red_devil 4 years, 10 months ago

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

mae (Anonymous) says…

"I firmly want for the helmet to remain a personal choice..."

It may be a personal choice, but if I worked for an insurance company and the facts showed that the overwhelming majority of head trauma injury was due to not wearing a helmet, then I would work to change the law.

Perhaps they should simply say that head injuries due to not wearing a helmet are not covered by one's insurance policy. Personal freedom is nice, but without personal responsibility it means nothing.

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

I feel sorry for both the driver and the biker.

I will say I'm not sure how someone cannot see a biker as there really is no blind spot at 6th and Tennessee. It is a tricky place if you are headed west and need to turn south onto Tennessee. If it was later in the afternoon perhaps the sun would have been in her eyes, but for the time of day this happened, that doesn't make sense. If the biker was headed east, I don't see how he could be at any fault. There is no yield or stop sign there that should have caused him to legally need to stop. Anybody headed west that needs to turn south onto Tennessee, simply needs to make sure they don't turn before traffic is cleared.

I do think that they need to rethink their traffic setup for Mass, Vermont, Kentucky and Tennessee. Surely there is a safer way to move traffic in this area.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 10 months ago

From Kansascity.com

A motorcyclist suffered serious injuries this afternoon when he collided with a car in a Lawrence intersection.

The 33-year-old man was eastbound on Sixth Street about 12:30 p.m. when he collided with a car driven by a 70-year-old woman who was turning southbound on Tennessee Street. Police did not say who was at fault.

A helicopter ambulance flew the motorcyclist to a hospital.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Well yes, the wearing of a helmet is a choice, but is is the correct choice!! If you have the freedom to choose to wear one or not, why not make the choice which gives you a greater chance of surviving something like this, and perhaps surviving it in NOT in a persistent vegetative state. If a rider wouldn't do it for him or herself, then do it for your loved ones, for God's sake! When I was still working as a nurse, I cannot count the number of head trauma cases( who spend the rest of their lives in p.v.s.) I cared for. So many of these could have turned out far better....

mae 4 years, 10 months ago

I firmly want for the helmet to remain a personal choice.

xbusguy, I've seen you and a few other riders around town. That speaks for itself, I've seen you around!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are involved and their families. It's a sad situation all around and I hope for a complete recovery for the motorcyclist. I drove by while police (?) were taking pictures of the scene and saw the messed up motorcycle, it looked pretty beat up. Hopefully the motorcyclist will be okay and I hope that if anything this accident will help encourage more motorcyclist to wear a helmet. The pain your family members go through knowing that a helmet could have saved your life is so overwhelming. We lost my brother-in-law almost 3 years ago from a 4-wheeler accident and I still believe that if he were wearing a helmet......maybe he'd be here and got to have met his second niece. Please wear helmets.....if anything, do it for your loved ones!!!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 10 months ago

Doesn't look good... I ride a cycle all the time.... After so many close calls, I started wearing a bright green vest (like the road workers)... I think it really does help.

Prayers to the family.

Pywacket 4 years, 10 months ago

Gnome~ I took it to infer that the cyclist was going straight (from west to east) and the motorist made a left turn in front of him. The cycle could have been turning right (south), but I don't see anything in the article indicating that this is known.

Absent any more complete information, it certainly sounds like the motorist failed to yield right of way.

Still no updates? Hoping for the best for this rider.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 10 months ago

Sad, sad, sad. I happened to drive by quite some time after the accident and saw the motorcycle in the road and was absolutely sick to my stomach. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I feel for those who had to see a lot worse.

It's a shame the guy wasn't wearing a helmet. I know that they're not foolproof, but they have saved many lives. My thoughts and prayers are with this man and his loved ones.

solsken66 4 years, 10 months ago

We had actually driven by the accident before police or emergency crews had arrived. There were individuals there helping the hurt person. Very heart wrenching.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

no helmet.

c'mon people, just put on the helmet, even if its just a five block cycle run! most accidents happen close to home.

I sincerely hope he recovers.

okay, woman driver was headed westbound before the turn then?
and, if I'm reading this right, the cyclist was just making a simple right turn.

if my inferences are correct then the cyclist isn't at fault and the motorist is?

sherlock 4 years, 10 months ago

Thank goodness, not any of my family apparently from the description of both injured rider and type of bike. Appreciate the come back.

GhostWriter7 4 years, 10 months ago

I believe it was a Black Kawasaki motorcycle. And, as has been reported by other posters, it would appear he was a white male in his thirties with brown dreadlocks and facial hair. Very tragic. Prayers go out to him and his family.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh no. I hope he was wearing a helmet. His being unresponsive at the scene does not bode well. I hope I turn out to be very wrong, and that he does recover! Indeed-prayers.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 10 months ago

Our prayers go to the rider and his family.

5thgeneration 4 years, 10 months ago

The bike was black in color, very mangled, and the unfortunate rider had long reddish brown dreadlocks and facial hair. I was helping hold a big towel overhead to keep the sun off of him and emergency responders. It was a very disturbing sight, and a harsh reminder of just how fragile life is. I'm a motorcyclist, and my first reaction is always rage toward the automobile driver....... but it IS hard to see motorcycles in traffic. It takes extra effort on the part of car drivers to be watching........ but everyone on two wheels needs to ride with the idea that every vehicle on the road doesn't see them. It is a tragedy, and my heart goes out to the cyclist's family.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

Journalism is not life and death. Some professions are and highly deserve your appreciation far more, and for this biker rider's benefit, appreciate more and right now. This bike rider is probably going to when he/she recovers.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts go to the bike rider too. I have had some serious motorcycle accidents. Not fun!

Wishing wellness to the rider.

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

I couldn't tell, the bike was too mangled and I was riding in traffic so I wanted to keep my personal rubbernecking to a minimum. I was a sport bike.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

And will you look at that. No ghost post. HUH!!

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

Nope, I generally don't criticize mistakes unless the person deserves to have them pointed out. We are all human, just some more power-mongering than others.

sherlock 4 years, 10 months ago

again the question: BrianR did you note the brand or make of the cycle that was hit at 6th and Tenn?

Family member rides a cycle and just want to make sure. thanks.

Fatty_McButterpants 4 years, 10 months ago

Nothing quite like a know it all who - or several know-it-all's - to criticize every little mistake. I'd love to see how these people would deal with their job performance being constantly scrutinized by the public.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

What about this caption? Shouldn't it also be corrected?

"Photo by Jonathan Kealing Police investigate what caused a a car turning south from Sixth Street to Tennessee Street to strike a motorcycle that was eastbound on Sixth Street."

I make mistakes in my posts, but I am not a journalist.

sherlock 4 years, 10 months ago

anyone have information on what brand the cycle was?

family inquiry!

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers to the rider and family. I just rode past a bit ago and it is always chilling to see a fellow rider down.

Jonathan, don't you mean "Bad, my bad" :)

duplenty 4 years, 10 months ago

Um, maybe a grammatical error is the very least important part of this story?

Thoughts go out for the injured individual.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 10 months ago

helter-

Sorry about that. I was combining a couple of redundant sentences and left a redundant word. My bad.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

Apparently the filters don't like the use of all caps to spell a word. The word "motorcyclist" is used twice when it makes no sense.

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

" The MOTORCYCLIST, who witnesses said was unresponsive at the scene MOTORCYCLIST was flown by helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital, emergency dispatchers said. "

Redundant. Just a little pointer.