Archive for Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dog Days moving to new location

Exercise program will relocate to field east of Robinson Gym

May 28, 2009

On the street

Do you have a regular workout routine?

Yes. I try to walk every morning.

More responses

Related document

Sign up for Red Dog's Dog Days (PDF) ( .PDF )

Related document

Sign up for Red Dog's Dog Days (.doc) ( .DOC )

What originally began as a fitness program for the Lawrence High School football team in 1984 has since evolved and expanded into Red Dog’s Dog Days, a Lawrence tradition that draws about 1,400 participants to its daily community fitness workouts every summer.

Beginning Monday, Lawrence residents again can take part in daily workouts led by Don “Red Dog” Gardner and his wife, Beverly, that consist of activities ranging from push-ups and jumping jacks to jogs up the 14th Street hill.

Because Kansas University is replacing the track and field inside Memorial Stadium this summer, workouts have been moved to the grassy area on the east side of Robinson Gymnasium.

Workouts will begin at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday. There will be no noon workouts this summer, but Red Dog will host Saturday runs at 7 a.m. and 7:45 a.m., which begin at the Lied Center.

Aside from earning the coveted Dog Days T-shirt, participants may have another incentive to join in Dog Days workouts this summer.

A new community initiative called LiveWell Lawrence will be teaming up with Red Dog’s Dog Days to attempt to set a world record for the largest community workout, said Marilyn Hull, program officer at the Douglas County Community Foundation.

“We’re focusing on ways to be active, and we’re celebrating ways that our community already is physically active,” Hull said. “The Dog Days program is unique and something that we’re proud of and that we want to celebrate and encourage more people to be a part of.”

Hull said no world record currently exists for the largest community workout, but she hoped to double the number of people who ordinarily attend a Dog Days workout. No date has been finalized for that event.

“We also wanted to recognize Don and Bev Gardner and kind of thank them for everything that they’re doing to help keep our community healthy,” Hull said.

Comments

repaste 5 years, 6 months ago

poor tumby wants others to stay out of his personal coffee shop!

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 6 months ago

Tumbliwee - Are you serious? It never amazes me what people will complain about. Maybe you should go to a different coffee shop...just a thought:) This is whats wrong today, everyone is worried about themselves. Do you think the owner would agree with you on this issue? Especially in todays economic times. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think this is not something to complain about.

Tanya Spacek 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't wait in line for fifteen minutes either, as I have to get to work early in the day. I've been walking over to Java Break instead. No wait, and the baristas haven't hassled me about using my LPT cup there. Plus, they have a 1/2 price drink special between 6-10am, so I'm actually spending less money for my occasional coffee treat!

aha 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm excited to start up with summer Dog Days again. Time to get rid of this winter weight! This is a great thing the Gardners do for the community ... for free.

bd 5 years, 6 months ago

I will always remember my brother who worked in South America telling me about the piles of coffee beans that the little kids would play on/in , he said the tiny ones usually did not have pants on, kinda makes you think about the different flavors and how they got them! LOL!

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 6 months ago

Meh, no worse than the civet cat poop coffee that was so popular several years ago ;) I think it was a civet ca...

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 6 months ago

I drink tea. tea leaves=not as much fun to play in with no pants on.

daschie88 5 years, 6 months ago

I like how the discussion on an article about working out ends up focusing on food/high-calorie drink (unless of course you go to a coffee shop and spend $5 on a cup of black coffee). Just goes to show how food-obsessed we are. Fabulous.

avetaysmom 5 years, 6 months ago

Without dog days to motivate me all of my baby weight would have never came off, they are all so morivating and let you go at your own pace, they just want you thier!! Great group of people!!