Archive for Thursday, May 28, 2009

Appointment to ethics panel raises eyebrows

May 28, 2009

— The manager of Democrat Paul Morrison’s 2006 campaign for attorney general is now a member of the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission.

Anti-abortion groups and conservative legislators are upset with Mark Simpson’s appointment to the commission by House Minority Leader Paul Davis, a Lawrence Democrat.

Morrison, an abortion-rights supporter, was forced to resign at the end of 2007 because of a sex scandal.

After managing Morrison’s campaign, Simpson finished law school and became an assistant Douglas County district attorney. He says he understands that politics and the commission’s work are “fundamentally different.”

The governor, legislative leaders and other state officials each appoint members to the commission.

Comments

Raider 6 years, 1 month ago

These Anti-abortion groups and conservative legislators really need to get over themselves. It seems like every time you turn around they are upset about "something" that someone has done, been appointed to, or what have ya. They really should try getting a life (no pun intended) and letting others live theirs as they see fit.

bse007 6 years, 1 month ago

"abortion-rights supporter"...wouldn't "pro-choice" be the correct term?

KansasVoter 6 years, 1 month ago

No, "anti-choice" is the correct term.

KansasVoter 6 years, 1 month ago

Damn it. I posted that last message without thinking. Oh, well...

BigDog 6 years, 1 month ago

It is easy to get into the name calling on the issue ..... like anti-life, pro-abortion, etc.

There are plenty of outspoken women who are pro-life .... for those of you who are too dumb to notice that

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

Still, the primary issue is pro-choice or anti-choice. Abortion in one form or another has been with us for all our history. It will be around even if it is outlawed. The issue is: will you allow a woman to have the choice to legally obtain a safe procedure with the council of her doctor and her conscience or will you deny her the choice and force her to bear an unwanted, or even unsafe, pregnancy or obtain an unsafe abortion.

If you are against abortion, don't have one!

BigDog 6 years, 1 month ago

Cappy,

I believe that most who are pro-choice would oppose late-term abortion procedures which are currently allowed in Kansas (it is one of the few states that allow this form of abortion). But some of those same people are so concerned if you outlaw the late-term procedure ... what is next.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

The communist agenda of the anti-choice movement is very disturbing.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

BigDog, Late term abortions are usually performed for health reasons. They should not be outlawed because they usually mean preserving the life or reproductive capability of the mother. They are difficult and heart-wrenching, but they should remain legal. For what ever reason, they still should remain the choice of the woman.

Freedom of Choice is the American Way!

madameX 6 years, 1 month ago

ImAllThat and BigDog both,

Late term abortions are only legal in Kansas if they are to save the life or health of the mother. I'm sure the procedures are horrific, but the law only allows them to be performed if something more horrific will happen to the pregnant woman if the pregnancy continues. Most reasonable people don't object to limiting the circumstances under which late term abortions are allowed, but unfortunately sometimes they are necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother, which is why banning them completely is not a viable option.

Plus, there's a medical difference between an abortion at one month and an abortion at six or more months. Cappy is talking about abortion in general, and you can't use one specific type to argue against it as a whole. Actually, I guess you can if you really want to, but it doesn't make your argument valid.

sustainabilitysister 6 years, 1 month ago

I thank Paul Davis for making this choice. It appears a lot goes on to support the fetus up until it's born. I don't see the pro-life movement doing anything to help the children that we already have. Just like puppies, kittens, and captive wildlife, there are too many of them and not enough good homes. When we have a surplus of dependent lives, there are going to be many situations where the amount that are neglected is enormous. Neglect equals abuse, not to mention the environmental problems associated with overpopulation.

BigDog 6 years, 1 month ago

beobachter prove to me that such an entity exists. ............................................ prove to me that such an entity doesn't exist

georgiahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

There is no proof either way proving or disproving the existence of "God" and we all know it. While not sure of any of the religion's physical descriptions of their own particular form of God, I still believe in some sort of spiritual higher form of existence. I think I can feel it sometimes, I think I can see it sometimes and sometimes I feel that I can tap into it. If I can feel it, see it and tap into it, then, in my world it exists. I could be right, I could be wrong and I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees, it is for me to decide for myself. It is and should be a personal issue.

Sometimes I think that all the religions are looking at a huge mountain from diferent perspectives, describing what they see from their limited view and arguing that their view is the only correct view. Very narrow thinking and in my belief system, ungodlike (OK, not a word but "I am making up my own words so that I know that they are mine" - David Byrne).

Bob Forer 6 years, 1 month ago

Imallthat wrote:

"If truth is in the eye of the beholder then what happens when one eye says there’s no truth and the other says there is truth, who’s right? The law of non-contradiction says only one can be correct. To me the one who is correct is the one who says, “truth exists” because the one says, “truth does not exist” how do they know that to be true."

There is only one truth.

And that truth is this: There are no absolute truths. Everything is relative. Einstein be damned.

ilikestuff 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure Morrison's unethical behavior should be a factor in considering Simpson’s appointment to this committee. Perhaps, if it can be proven Simpson was aware of Morrison’s indiscretions a better case could be made against him otherwise I say let the appointment stand.

Regarding abortion, whether one wishes to call the new being an embryo or a parasite it is a member of the Homo sapien species thus deserving of human rights regardless of size, location, level of development, environment & degree of dependency. Upon fertilization the “being” is genetically complete.

Discrimination against a human being at any stage of development is the result of a perception that the offspring somehow isn’t a member of the species. Abortion-on-demand supporters assume choice is a woman’s alone this seems to be the result of ignorance &/or malice, biology doesn’t support their view.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Was Mr. Simpson aware of the Morrison love affair? Why would Mr. Simpson be expected to know?

Pro-choice is not necessarily pro abortion. I've never met a person who was pro abortion. Pro-Choice thinkers must be pro-life because of the children within their respective families.

However the question of abstinence most always surfaces from the so called "pro life" voices not birth prevention. Which leads to the question are pro-life thinkers anti sex?

Educating our children early on as to why these ideas could be helpful is not a bad idea. Educating them along the way as to the responsibilities of a parent to a new born might also act as a deterrent if they are presented with facts. Becoming a parent is time consuming and can put many things on the back burner.

As we see and have known for some time now there are many avenues to birth prevention which should be readily available to those interested in such.

* Abstinence
* Birth Control Implant (Implanon)
* Birth Control Patch (Ortho Evra)
* Birth Control Pill
* Birth Control Vaginal Ring (NuvaRing)
* Birth Control Shot (Depo-Provera)
* Birth Control Sponge (Today Sponge)
* Breastfeeding
* Cervical Cap (FemCap)
* Condom
* Diaphragm
* Emergency Contraception
* Female Condom
* Fertility Awareness-Based Methods (FAMs)
* IUD
* Outercourse
* Spermicide
* Sterilization for Women
* Vasectomy
* Withdrawal (Pull Out Method)

People have used birth control methods for thousands of years. Today, we have many safe and effective birth control methods available to us.

All of us who need birth control want to find the method that is best for us. And each of us has different needs when choosing a method. If you are trying to choose, learning about each method may help you make your decision. Use the list of birth control methods above to read about the methods.

Only you can decide what is best for you. And we are here to help. A staff member at your local Planned Parenthood health center can discuss all of your birth control options with you and help you get the birth control you need http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control-4211.htm

TopJayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Raider. Back at ya.
The Democrats just finished eight yrs of crying, wailing actually. But hey, you keep them liberal blinders on, life will be so much easier for you.

motocross 6 years, 1 month ago

Would it be more politically correct to say baby murderers? If you don't want a baby, DON'T have sex..... You can't kill babies as a form of birth control!! Would it be the same as them taking out the baby and then shooting it??? hmmm... seems kinda sickening doesn't it.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

"Well it's clear that cthulhu_4_president does not value human life."

Yes, painfully obvious. You are a sad person, Imallthat. Tell you what, I'll pray for you to the entity of your choice.

" He is the type of guy who would probably worship something made with his own hands."

An interesting concept, but so far I haven't found any such object worthy of worship. Keeping my eyes open, though!

"Prove to me that there is NO God"

I can fly through the air like Superman !! Can you prove that I can't? Does that mean that I can?

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

"If you can “I can fly through the air like Superman” then you must be a demon"

Or an angel ;) Please prove that I am not an angel.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

What makes you think demons fly? What makes you think angels and demons exist? Prove it! I like the way you keep answering my questions with other questions. Keeps you from having to think of an answer, right? Oh well, I can play too! The point to all this circus is that you cannot prove a negative. In trying to do so, you assume the truth of your conclusion as a premise, which is a logical fallacy. If you haven't seen that yet, then my usefulness in this conversation is ended. Goodbye. Enjoy your lazyboy.