Archive for Thursday, May 21, 2009

Seven-year-old bicyclist hit by truck in Baldwin City, flown to hospital

An emergency helicopter was dispatched to an accident north of Baldwin Thursday evening.

May 21, 2009, 6:37 p.m. Updated May 21, 2009, 10:04 p.m.

Emergency crews Thursday responded to the scene of two automobile accidents in Baldwin City.

At 6:05 p.m., Danielle L. Bennett, 7, of Baldwin City, was riding her bicycle south on Flame Way, according to Kansas Highway Patrol reports. She failed to yield at a stop sign at Firetree Avenue, entered the intersection and was struck by a vehicle driven by Ralph Ybarra, a 61-year-old Baldwin City man.

Ybarra was driving a 2005 Dodge pickup eastbound on Firetree Avenue.

Bennett was flown by air ambulance to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.

Emergency responders also responded to an unrelated accident at Sixth and Ames. Dispatchers said the injuries in that accident did not require transport to the hospital.

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 7 months ago

How about some reporting on the two terrible accidents that have occured on Iowa street near 9th street last Friday and today?? Why is news about accidents in Baldwin newsworthy, and nothing about the miserable driving skills that appear on our own city streets????

LocalYocal 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow, that was uncalled for frwent. How about some compassion.

bigdave 5 years, 7 months ago

This paper needs all the compassion it can get!!!!!

lctchr1 5 years, 7 months ago

Bless this little girl's heart. I hope, hope, hope that she comes out ok. Her poor parents!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

I hope she can have a full recovery. 7-year-old bicyclists just do kid things.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 7 months ago

Prayers for the child and her family. So heartbreaking to have a child injured.

igby 5 years, 7 months ago

Who lets a seven year old ride a bike in the street anyway!

"go play in the street dear", people will watch out for you."

Was it not Baldwin that had a rash of child snatchers last year!

In Lawrence, I would not let a dog or cat past the front door step without being supervised.

After that dog raping Turk they found.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago

When drivers notice young children in an area walking,biking, playing catch, kicking a volleyball around or whatever why not pretend they are not paying attention or simply have not noticed an oncoming vehicle.

Be prepared to stop no matter what. Hey Journal World how about doing a story as a matter of prevention.

No doubt the driver is not doing so well either.

Let a positive force be with that young child.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

No doubt the driver is not doing so well either.

Let a positive force be with that young child.

Right on, Merrill. Both will be in my prayers.

kidbusy 5 years, 7 months ago

Who lets a seven year old ride a bike in the street anyway! "go play in the street dear”, people will watch out for you.”

I live in Baldwin, and know the family. They did not tell her to play in the street. There is a sidewalk there, and she didn't stop at the stop sign. Kids do those things, we as drivers need to be alert.

Did the accidents in Lawrence involve young children? If not, that may be why this one was reported on and not the others. Have some compassion for the family and driver.

Luckily the little girl is going to be just fine. And I'm sure the driver is having a very hard time dealing with this.

My prayers are with both families!!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 7 months ago

As for accidents, generally we only report them if someone is severely injured or traffic is halted on a major thoroughfare. If we haven't reported the accident (and if we did report on every accident in Lawrence we'd do nothing but report accidents nonstop all-day), it's because the injuries were moderate or minor.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

gmemusic 5 years, 7 months ago

Prayers for the child, family and driver in a terrible situation. A reminder to parents, make sure your children wear helmets ALL THE TIME when on a bicycle, roller skates, roller blades, scooters, anything with wheels, and make sure you teach them the rules of the road, like watching for cars and stopping at corners and stop signs to make sure it's safe before crossing. Not saying that this was the cause of this because I don't know, but it certainly serves as a reminder that as summer rolls around (pardon the pun), kids are going to be out more on various wheeled toys and they need to be cautious, as do we drivers. If you don't have helmets for your kids, go to a bike shop, WalMart, Target, or if you don't have the cash, a local fire station and get one free through the helmet program. It could save a life.

middlemgmt 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm sooooo glad to hear the little girl will be okay. I have a 7 year old and this is the age that parents start having to decide what to let them do by themself. I let my son play in the yard by himself, and I let him go in a public bathroom by himself. Of course I stand by the door and he knows if anyone touches him to scream and I will be in the bathroom in a heartbeat! :)

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

What gets me is that people don't seem to understand that you can cross the street at a crosswalk and still get hit. I think that those who never walk or bike don't get this. Adults should be watching after the kids, not the other way around. Doesn't anyone remember when the world was still a wonderful place and full of distractions? Wait! Talking on the phone, texting, eating, putting on makeup, whoa!

morganlefay 5 years, 7 months ago

I live in a very small community similar to where this happened. The children will ride their bikes in the middle of the road whether a car is coming or not. And if car is coming, they don't move out of the way at all. It's a matter of parents doing their job of parenting and teaching their offspring to respect adults and vehicles. With that said, I do hope this child is alright and will have a long healthy life. This should be used as a learning experience for everyone.

Dani Bennett 6 months, 2 weeks ago

That was me who had been hit my the truck and I am okay I feel so much better but I'm not aloud to ride a bike anymore because I got in another bike wreck the haddel bar went 3 inches into my leg