Archive for Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Several area events planned this weekend in honor of Memorial Day

Community can join in several events on Memorial Day

May 20, 2009

Several area ceremonies are planned this weekend in honor of Memorial Day.

“It’s an opportunity to honor the bravery of people who have given their lives for the country and our freedom and show our appreciation to them and their family members,” said Capt. Thomas Arnold, commanding officer for the Naval ROTC unit at Kansas University.

Arnold will speak at the Veterans of Foreign Wars ceremony at 11 a.m. Monday at Memorial Park Cemetery.

The VFW ceremony follows the American Legion Dorsey-Liberty Post No. 14’s 10 a.m. ceremony at Oak Hill Cemetery. The Legion will also perform the Clinton Cemetery Memorial Day service at 11:30 a.m. Monday.

Legionnaires will begin placing 300 American flags along the Oak Hill Cemetery driveway at 7 a.m. Monday. Anyone from the public is welcome to come assist then or at 4 p.m., when the flags are collected.

Other area Memorial Day events throughout the weekend include:

• Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts helping members of the Sons of the Union Veterans of the Civil War place flags on markers for Union veterans at Oak Hill Cemetery. They will start at 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

• A memorial service for benefactor Alfred Bromelsick will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Oak Hill Cemetery, led by Boy Scouts with Girl Scouts and 4-H members in attendance.

• The 123rd Memorial Day observance ceremony will be 9 a.m. Monday at Leavenworth National Cemetery. U.S. Army Command Sgt. Maj. Philip F. Johndrow, of Fort Leavenworth, will give the Memorial Day address.

• A Boy Scout troop will perform an American flag retirement ceremony at 3 p.m. Monday outside the lake near the VFW post, 138 Ala.

Comments

Kat Christian 5 years, 7 months ago

That's pretty low edjayhawk. SO??? What they didn't let you in a a kid? OR Is this too structured for you? I think this organization is a good thing - better than letting kids run loose on the streets wrecking havoc. It builds character and gives them purpose or to find their purpose in a positive way. I don't think that's a bad thing and certainly shouldn't be synonomous (sp?) with Hitler who was an EVIL ba$t@ad. Shame on you - take it back!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

The scouts are a good thing. In addition to the structure they are also good fun. You learn to do a lot of things, but then I have always loved camping and such. They don't just hand out badges you know. You have to earn them, which is a good lesson to learn. My daughter and granddaughter were also in the Girl Scouts and they also look back on those days with fondness. In the same area, Donnuts wrote that I am a registered social Nazi because I belong to Independence, Inc. So, go figure!

kmat 5 years, 7 months ago

My nephew was an Eagle Scout and said that if kids wanted to score drugs, join the Boy Scouts. He was always amazed at what his fellow scouts were selling and using.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

The scouts do good things for individual kids, but the program is a tad hypocritical in their policy for discrimination against gays and atheists, especially given the fact that they are federally funded through their charter as a "Patriotic Charity" through the military. It's not very patriotic to discriminate using government money. For example, the scouts use a huge plot of government land for their annual jamboree each year. It's a huge event that costs tens of thousands of dollars to put on. What do the scouts pay for rent? $1. Is this the same rate that a private club would pay? Heck no!! Your tax dollars paid for the event, and for their discrimination policies. They didn't used to be this way, but it was only in the 70's when the Morman Church took over the funding of many troops, and basically bullied their way into the leadership that they began discriminating.

It's very sad for an organization that teaches children great lessons and gives them self-confidence to deny it to those children who need it most. Suicide is the leading cause of death among gay youth, and organizations like the scouts denying them normal childhood experiences is a partial contributor.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

summerguuuru: Those men and women died protecting the freedom of speech that edjayhawk (and you and I) love using so much. Love the sin and hate the sinner, I guess.

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Let us honor all the Veterans who have given their lives in service of this great nation. Most American families have some relative in their family tree who has done just that somewhere down the line. We should honor them.

sinverguenza 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey sunshine_noise (or anyone, I guess) -

I need a citizen's investigation.

Have you ever had a kid come by your house asking if you'd like to buy some crap for a "youth" program that helps keep the kids off drugs and the streets?

I had one come by months ago, with a little tub full of candy bars and cheap candles. I bought a candle and didn't think anything of it. Yesterday while I was at a friend's house, another came by. In both instances, they showed little laminated cards that I didn't pay any attention to. I couldn't give yesterday and when my friend came downstairs, she was like, "What's the neighbor kid doing over here?"

I told her and she thought that was fishy. So we're thinking these kids load up a bunch of crap from the Dollar Store and then sell it door to door at a higher price. Which would be cool, if it were actually going to a program to keep the kids off drugs. Not cool if it's just some punk making a buck.

Anyone else know about these kids? Is there actually a youth program around town that sends them out on this mission?

Mixolydian 5 years, 7 months ago

I try very hard not to do personal posts and if I respond to any specific post it's always about the idea expressed and not about the person expressing the idea.

In this case:

edjayhawk you are a complete DB tool moron.

Kathy Gates 5 years, 7 months ago

Scout Oath On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

If atheists believe that there is no God, then why would an atheist want to join a group that states in its oath that to be a member, one has to "do my duty to God?" The two opinions seem to be diametrically opposed to each other.

"I believe there is no God, but I want to join a group that has belief in God as one of its core values."

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

"If atheists believe that there is no God, then why would an atheist want to join a group that states in its oath that to be a member, one has to “do my duty to God?” The two opinions seem to be diametrically opposed to each other."

A good question, but irrelevant to the topic I was discussing. Instead of asking "Why would they want to join" instead ask "Why would they be denied joining such a group, and why is government money funding an organization that openly discriminates?" The atheist's use of free time is not the issue here, and the opposing views do not matter. The issue is the government funding discrimination against a demographic of children that are already vulnerable and succeptible to stress-induced depression and suicide.

By the way, belief in God was not one of the core values of the scouts before the Mormon church hijacked the organization. Seriously, track down scouting literature before and after the 70's. It is amazing how drastically the "core values" of this institution changed in just a few short years.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

"They don’t want to join, they want to destroy out of jealousy."

Right on, those evil atheist children who just want to play with their friends. When little Timmy is denied joining the scouts the only thing he can think of is how to get jealous revenge on little Johnny.

Seriously, are you allowed outside by yourself?

Kathy Gates 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, cthulhu_4_president, but the first Boy Scouts of America Handbook for Boys, published in August 1911, declares that "... no boy can grow into the best kind of citizenship without recognizing his obligation to God." (Page 215). The Mormons had nothing to do with it.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

smgkag: I am aware about the contents of the oath and the creedo, what I am referring to is the individual guidance that troop leaders were instructed to give to their kids. Pre mormon takeover the troop instructors were instructed not to guide the children explicitely in any sexual matters or specific matters of faith, as they were not qualified to do so. Please see Scoutmaster's Handbooks from the appropriate eras and you will see what I mean.

I should have been more specific, and I apologize.

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes, cthulhu_4_president,

of all the problems that we see in the media concerning our youth, (Gangs, Drugs, school shootings, Bus fights, disrespect of authority and elders) the Boy Scouts always seem to be at the heart of it. I for one will be thankful when there are not anymore of those terrible Boy Scouts walking around in uniform scaring all the citizens from leaving their homes. (Sarcasm Intended)

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

Practicality:

You must be tired from shoving all of those words into my mouth (Gangs, Drugs, school shootings, Bus fights, disrespect of authority and elders. Where did I say any of this?). You also missed my first post, where I said that I acknowladge the boy scouts do good things for the children who are in the program. Would you believe me if I said that I used to be a scout, and I still believe that it contributed positively in my life? My only problem is the government using my tax money to discriminate. I don't even care about the religious angle!! They can to whatever they want, as long as they don't use my tax money to practice hate! No matter. As a person to have a useful conversation with, you are worthless. Goodbye.

Again, the religious angle of the scouts is not that big of an issue. Private religious organizations can (and do) discriminate against anyone they want. The scouts, however, are using your taxpayer money to make victims out of children.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

Why would anything think that every time an African-American does something it can be traced back to President Obama? Why don't the gays and atheists form their own young peoples organization? You are going to have to accept that you are not going to be universally understood, accepted, loved or even liked. Every organization has people in it that do things that others consider bad. You can't reject it on that basis. The only answer would be to live in the center of the Mojave Desert and have your good parachuted in to you.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

"Why don't the gays and atheists form their own young peoples organization?"

Seperate but equal?
Haven't we tried this already, with some nasty results?

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

cthulhu_4_president (Anonymous) says…

"The scouts, however, are using your taxpayer money to make victims out of children."

So this is the experience you took away from by being a scout? You felt victimized by your experience? Or, you left the scouts and started victimizing other children?

The scouts offer positive, structured guidance for our youth while imparting a slight emphasis on moral decency, integrity, and strength of character. How is this victimizing a child?

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

Practicality: You have obviously failed to read any of my previous posts where I explain exactly this situation. For your benefit though, I will try to dumb down the argument so that even you can understand, and save you all that difficult scrolling:

1) A federally funded organization cannot discriminate. It is against the law.

2) The scouts are federally funded through a defunct charter as a patriotic charity which gives them sweet deals on land usage for meetings and events, among other funding.

3) The BSA have a policy in place to discriminate against gays and atheists.

4) Child A and Child B are friends. Child A is an atheist or homosexual. Child B is not. Child B is allowed to join the scouts and have fun, nurturing life experiences. Child A is told that his beliefs are wrong and not good enough to join. Child A becomes internally conflicted because society (vicariously through this organization) has just told him that his core beliefs are "wrong". Child A is now at risk for more mental anguish, a possible termination of friendship with Child B and other children as they will probably view him as "wierd" since he couldn't get into the scouts, and clinical depression.

Points 1,2 and 3 are facts. If anyone has any reading that might prove them wrong, I will be glad to research it. Point 4 is a hypothetical, but I believe a reasonable, consequence of these facts.

As I've said before, if your goal is to provide a safe, nurturing environment for youth, why deny it to those children who need it the most?

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

"1) A federally funded organization cannot discriminate. It is against the law."

I believe the Military is federally funded, is it not?

"Point 4 is a hypothetical, but I believe a reasonable, consequence of these facts."

That is a possibility, along with a million others.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

"I believe the Military is federally funded, is it not?"

What, exactly is your point as it pertains to this issue. Oh wait! It doesn't.

"Look, why not advocate for the abolishment of these clauses. You have admitted the Scouts have done good things with you and other youths, why do you want to have them abolished?"

Again, you cannot seem to post without putting words into my mouth. Never, ever, anywhere, did I say that the scouts must be abolished, dismantled, whatever. I merely assert that our government's relationship with the organization may need restructuring in terms of their charter. Silly me, I was under the delusion that I might try to have a civil conversation with you, but you cannot post without making up things that I didn't say. You are pathetic, and arguing against yourself, because nowhere do you even attempt to refute anything that I've said. If you're going to personally attack me, start by using words that I actually used, instead of what you wish I'd said. Until you come up with a useful argument that isn't a strawman attack, I'll just assume that you agree with everything in my last post.

"That is a possibility, along with a million others."

Um, did you miss the part where I say "point 4 s hypothetical"? Do you know what that means? It means "I acknowladge that this is one of a million possible scenerios". My Gawd you are thick.

Kathy Gates 5 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps I could reword practicality's comment in this way...

The Scouts are federally funded, according to cthulhu. The Scouts discriminate against homosexuals. Therefore, the Scouts should not receive any federal monies of any kind.

One could extrapolate from that logic statement in this way...

The military is federally funded. The military discriminates against homosexuals. Therefore, the military should not receive any federal monies of any kind.

I am NOT trying to put words in anyone's mouth; I am merely thinking about other entities that discriminate against homosexuals. Should we paint them all with the same brush?

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Look idiot.

No where did I put words in your mouth! You must be dense and need someone to spell everything out for you.

The military excludes people who are openly gay. The military is a federally funded organiziation. Now, do you understand why I brought that up? Or is this not elaborate enough for your frazzled brain to comprehend? Like it or not, the Boy Scouts are loosely modeled after our military.

As for your other nonsense. You have done nothing but complain about the Boy Scouts from the beginning. You have taken an article concerning the respect which is due our veterans who have given the ultimate sacrifice to attack the Boy Scouts. How noble of you. Are we to assume by reading your posts that you are in love with the Boy Scouts? And no where did I personally attack you (until now). That was all your doing. You have attacked everyone on here with name calling. I also see they removed some of your previous posts because even the LJW believes your statements concerning the Boy Scouts were too vile to let remain.

I understand what hypothetical means moron. I was commenting on the part of your statement that said, ". . . but I believe a reasonable, consequence of these facts."

I do not believe anything you have said has been a "reasonable consequence". Your scenerio takes a giant leap in faith and reason to follow along, but you claim it is reasonable. Your scenerio could end with the kids not caring one bit about the Scouts when they are not doing anything scout related and play with all kids on the playground. (I have seen this occur at numerous schools). Or, it could be that the ostracized kid in your scenerio re-evaluates their beliefs and holds fast or conforms. Who knows, again there are a million of possibilities, but somehow you think yours is reasonable. How convenient for you. Kids are ostracized for anything and everything. Do you want to disallow that evil game basketball because no one wants you to play because you are short, or can't shoot, or a bad rebounder as well? Should we quit funding basketball programs for kids because they might go home and kill themselves for not making the team like in your "reasonable" scenerios.

Whats next, are you now going to start on Catholic Charities?

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Just read your post smkag, glad to see you are able to effectively put two and two together.

I guess that just leaves ol' "reasonable" cthlulu_4_readingcomprehensionclass unable to understaing logic and reason without it being spelled out to him like a child.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

None of my statements on this thread have been removed. In fact, every statement I've made about the scouts is still there, maybe because they're factually supported. However, you've been digging through all 56 pages of my comment history? Creepy!

"Whats next, are you now going to start on Catholic Charities?"

Well, now that you mention it, that Mother Teresa character wasn't all that she's cracked up to be. An issue for another day, though.

LOL. You stay classy, now.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 7 months ago

"I think cthulhu_4_president is gay, "

Don't worry, you can't catch it, hun. mwah

gogoplata 5 years, 7 months ago

I'll be honoring memorial day by camping, drinking a few beers, and hanging out with family and friends. Yeehaw for a 3 day weekend.

gogoplata 5 years, 7 months ago

"Are you ready? Are you ready? Lets get it on!!!"

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

Summerguuurl,

Did not realize that I was offending you. Unsure where I did. But, as for the bravery comment, think what you want. I have received numerous commendations for bravery in my life. So, I believe your statement about me is ridiculous. Lucky for you though, I was raised not to strike women. So, I guess you will win in a fight.

Have a nice day.