Archive for Saturday, May 16, 2009

Police investigating sex crime that occurred Thursday morning

May 16, 2009

Lawrence police officers are investigating a sex crime that occurred Thursday morning in the 1300 block of Vermont Street.

Sgt. Michael McLaren said officers were called to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Friday night at 10:44 p.m. There, they found a 22-year-old KU student who said she was sexually assaulted Thursday morning at an acquaintance's home on Vermont Street.

The victim reported that the incident occurred sometime between 2 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday, McLaren said.

The suspect and the victim are known to each other, McLaren said. He said the victim had no visible injuries from the incident.

McLaren said the crime is still under investigation.

Comments

Bunny_Hotcakes 6 years, 1 month ago

"He said the victim had no visible injuries from the incident."

Thank you for this. It drives me up a wall when articles about sexual assault say that the victim "was not injured." Just because a sexual assault isn't accompanied by a fat lip, a black eye, or worse does not mean the victim escaped without devastating, long-lasting injures of both the physical and non-physical type.

Boeing 6 years, 1 month ago

Between 2am and 10am? They can narrow that significantly if she simply knew if it were light or dark out...

mrbig 6 years, 1 month ago

Red- I'm pretty sure she was complimenting the writer...

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

For a website that is incredibly scrupulous about not naming accused rapists you would think the LJW headline and "story" could have read "Police investigating sex crime that ALLEGEDLY occurred Thursday morning" I am constantly befuddled by the LJW editors and policies. They steadfastly refuses to name those publicly accused of sex crimes even though other news organization in the area do, and at the same time imply a sex crime occurred because of an accusation is being investigated.

bluerayborn 6 years, 1 month ago

Summerguuurl... I AM hoping that you are joking about Lawrence being "Berkley of the Midwest". This is one of the most unprogressive, repressed towns that I have lived in. Unless you are interested in drinking, getting high or spending the almighty dollar at some big box store, then there is nothing to do in this town ( other then commit violence on one another or some poor innocent animal) (Lawrence, home of the dog sodomizer and the cat mutilator) LJ World is a joke. Crimes of sexual violence is on the rise in this town and the response seems very subdued. There is little action from the community or newspaper. It feels like the consensus out there is "must of had it coming" or "they weren't hurt, so it wasn't really a crime". Very frustrating.

bluerayborn 6 years, 1 month ago

Ahhh...Summerguuurl. It's so easy to blame the liberals and their crazy thinkin'. Seems to me that protecting the rights of of the criminal is the job of the Republicans. That's why Bush, Cheney and Rove are still walking free today. It's why all those corporate bankers are still walking free today. Sorry, Summer... wacky liberal thinking isn't the problem in this town. It's finger pointing and poor leadership. It's bassackward hometown values. "Why shucks M'aam, we do's things the way we has always done it." No one wants to change for the better. They just want to make more money and cover up the mistakes. If you try and illicit change then you are touted as "some kind of dang fool Liberal". By the way, I work for victims rights and... in case you haven't figured it out by now... I am a dang fool Liberal and a Democrat.

Bladerunner 6 years, 1 month ago

Boeing..Couldn't it have begun at 2 and lasted till 10? Just because you dont have the stamina..........

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

bluerayborn (Anonymous) says… "Seems to me that protecting the rights of of the criminal is the job of the Republicans. That's why Bush, Cheney and Rove are still walking free today. It's why all those corporate bankers are still walking free today."

Here is a news flash for you, the Democrats control all three branches of the Federal government. You might have heard about the last election, it was in all the papers. So it seems to me that no one in power is really all that interested in prosecuting the previous administration for things they also approved of. In fact, it now looks like the military tribunals in Gitmo will go forward under Obama as Bush. Why do you think that is?

As for corporate bankers (not sure I know any non-corporate bankers, but leave that aside) still walking free today, what specific bankers and for what specific crime should they be in jail for? And once again I remind you that all three branches of the Federal government are in Democrat control, how are Republicans blocking them from prosecuting?

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, I am having a real problem here. A LOT of people here (ME being the first one in line) give YH, Smitty, Was_ Fre--, and several others for trying to hijack comments and turn them into rants about the LPD, Federal Attorneys, and other LE, but no one complains when someone(s) take a story about a traumtic event and turns it into a policital commentary about which d**n party is worse than the other????

And it is just not this thread, it happens all the time, it just struck me now. OK, I will go back to normal now, but thought I had to point out the double standard.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, (reminder to self - double check before you hit submit)-I meant to say give add names crap about hijacking threads. Sorry.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 1 month ago

somebodynew, I know what you mean. This is a news report of a young woman who was raped. I trust she was not asked how she voted before she was seen at the hospital. This has nothing to do with politics or whether or not Lawrence is boring or the most exciting city east of Vegas. She has been traumatized enough and when they find the rapist and it goes to trial that will not be pleasant.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Irish - yes I know, maybe I have lived here too long (or am just too d**n old), but I am soooo tired of all the "intellictuals" (spelling does not count) debating about which political party is responsible for this or that on a story that should be all about a victim of a crime.

Save the BS for a political story, as I have tried to convince YH, Smitty, et.at., on their stories. And I am sure I will have the same profound success on this story, but I am off my soap box now.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 1 month ago

what somebodynew said!

I was genuinely puzzled about party ref. now sadly some of us wonder about the DA's willingness to prosecute. we wonder if juries can bring the maximum charges to conviction when evidence supports it. some of this connects back in a way to ideology.

God comfort and care for the victim. and I hope the DA will actually prosecute fully.

Sw33tKatt 6 years, 1 month ago

jaywalker 6 years, 1 month ago

blue rayborn made me wretch up my corn flakes.