Archive for Friday, May 15, 2009

Separate fights send one person to the hospital, three to the jail

May 15, 2009

Lawrence police responded to a couple of fights Friday morning:

• After a series of derogatory remarks, a fistfight and a foot chase, officers arrested three people on battery charges in the 1100 block of Tennessee.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said four women and one man were driving in the alley between Tennessee and Ohio streets about 1:40 a.m. As they were dropping somebody off in the alley, they saw two intoxicated 23-year-old men and started making remarks about them, Hadl said.

The remarks prompted anger from the two men, who opened the car door and began beating a 24-year-old man inside the vehicle.

One woman, who exited the car to try and break up the fight, was knocked to the ground and kicked in the face by one of the suspects. She suffered a laceration to her lip, Hadl said.

Another 21-year-old woman exited the car, inserted herself in the skirmish and began fighting the two men, Hadl said. Police later took her to jail on battery charges.

When officers arrived at the scene at 1:44 a.m., the man who kicked the woman in the face ran from police, Hadl said. Police chased him for about a block before tackling him near 11th and Ohio streets. He was arrested on charges of aggravated battery, obstruction and criminal damage.

The other 23-year-old man was arrested on battery charges.

Hadl said the victims were "roughed up, but no one was transported to the hospital."

• Minutes earlier, police had responded to a scuffle at the Jet Lag Lounge, 610 Florida St. One person was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with a laceration to the head after the fight.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael McLaren said the fight broke out at closing time. Officers found four people fighting at the bar when they arrived at 1:42 a.m.

Police found that two people were injured, one with a "bump to his head" and another with a cut to his left eyebrow, McLaren said. Neither injury was life-threatening.

The bar was very crowded at the time of the fight, he said. No weapons were involved and no arrests were made.

“Everybody’s got different stories,” McLaren said. “We don’t have enough information to charge anybody.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

In my younger days my motto was... "why fight, when you can run" Now I can't even run, so I guess staying at home is the final option.

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you xbusguy! It's gotten too dangerous to go out in Lawrence. No telling where the out-of-townies might show up to cause trouble. Drinking and fighting have never been my "thing".

yellowhouse 5 years, 8 months ago

Just gett'n started and it ain't the weekend yet!

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, at least no weapons were brandished.

tanaumaga 5 years, 8 months ago

'no telling where the out of townies might show up to cause trouble' ....really?...because nobody from lawrence could ever do something like that...if you think that's correct, think again.

sinverguenza 5 years, 8 months ago

There was another foot chase around 6:30 in SE Lawrence, too. I guess we should declare May 14th "Run from the po-po" day.

JoRight 5 years, 8 months ago

The handful of times (about 6-7) I saw fights at a bar, LPD was never called. . .don't know how this is news worthy, happens every weekend.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Unless they change the law, it is illegal to commit a crime in an alley. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many people went out last night and did not get into a fight, or get arrested?

beawolf 5 years, 8 months ago

I believe 2 gangs were involved in both fights... the Jets and the Sharks. Good old fashioned bar room brawls... no guns or knives.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

mush- Happy drunks do exist... I have a couple beers (maybe a refill) everyday, and most folks are like me... happy. My theory is don't drink when you are pissed at the world... don't drink and sky dive, and don't go around people who drive you to drinking.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 8 months ago

"we don't have enough information to charge anybody".

That statement is the problem with our law enforcement. Charge all of them with disturbing the peace, or disorderly conduct. If our LPD would start giving tickets to these idiots, maybe people would think twice before fighting.

Now the four guys who fought will all go home, brag about their fight, and fight the next time they go out...

In Vail Colorado, anyone associated with a fight, even if you are just breaking it up, goes to jail for the night.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why anyone was labled as "victim" in this story. I don't see victims, I just see participants.

jafs 5 years, 8 months ago

flyin,

I completely agree - the police in Lawrence seem incapable of deterring crime.

Also, it would be nice to see traffic laws enforced - maybe that would encourage folks to drive better.

gogoplata 5 years, 8 months ago

If you open your mouth you better be ready to rumble.

gogoplata 5 years, 8 months ago

Big talk is just talkin unless your backing it up.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

not a zebra print coat among the lot of 'em!

two mouthy girls. charge them with disturbing the peace, he|| charge them with littering since they're probably ugly skanks. they saw two drunk guys hanging out, and just had to hassel them.

I got it, charge the skanks with harshing lawrence's mellow!

persevering_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

Pywacket -

"I would say the police made a good call on releasing all the Jet Lag combatants. No one used weapons or (apparently) seemed a viable threat to anyone else, so it would have been a total waste of taxpayer money and law enforcement resources to do all the necessary paperwork, etc., that would be entailed in sending a bunch of rowdy drunks to jail."

First of all, just because weapons weren't used, doesn't mean they should get off. Second of all, a waste of taxpayer money and law enforcement resources to do all the necessary paperwork? I'm really glad you are not our local law enforcement! As much of a pain-in-the-butt it is to do paperwork, I would much rather teach people a lesson by locking them up and posting bail than to let them go for beating the crap out of people.

For crying out loud, one person even fled from an officer and was not charged! To me, this says that I could go beat the crap out of someone anytime I feel like it and get away with it - only as long as I'm drunk, have a different story than the other person, and do not beat someone up to the point of giving them life-threatening injuries. I'll keep this all in mind!

Graczyk 5 years, 8 months ago

Perfect example of why you should just keep your darn mouth shut. Shut-up and drink.

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 8 months ago

When is the last time there was an article about groups of stoners fighting? Every f-ing weekend anymore there are multiple stories here about drunken violence. And just wait, tomorrow will bring two to four more since who can think of a better way of ending the school year than to drink near toxic amounts of alcohol and get into a fight--or better yet shoot/stab someone. That'll learn 'em! Woo-Hoo!

Tony Kisner 5 years, 8 months ago

Note to girls, boys react differently to insults. Rather than eating a bunch of donuts to feel better, buys like to clear the air with a few punches. This is something boys learn early on.

jhawks1234 5 years, 8 months ago

I like to yell IM COUNTRY!! before I start swinging

rousseau108 5 years, 8 months ago

Persevering gal, you should actually read and comoprehend the entire article before bashing the cops. The guy who ran from the cops was arrested (on a felony no less), the fight at the Jet Lag where no one was arrested was a completely separate incident.

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 8 months ago

"Alcohol! The cause of, and solution to all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

If you have to drink to be happy, then you're pretty pathetic. There are a lot of pathetic people in this town.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

Let them fight and bust each other up!

Sooner or later, all the stupid drunks who ride around sticking their heads out the car window and calling people they don't know: "faggot"; deserves to get the holy-crap beat out of them.

Does anyone disagree?

jackdaniels 5 years, 8 months ago

I was a Military Policeman on Front Street in San Diego some years ago and learned a lot about what happens when you mix testosterone and alcohol. Add some immaturity and a surfeit of new-found ego and you'd better call for backup.

Sheila Couchman 5 years, 8 months ago

The cops do not have time to charge the people at the bar fight...they only give disorderly conduct tickets to mentally ill people on SSI!! Wake up and smell the crap! And NO, I have never seen stoners get into a stupid fight like drunks do. Maybe the wrong substance is illegal??