Archive for Friday, May 15, 2009

Four juveniles taken into custody after fleeing police in stolen van

May 15, 2009, 10:01 p.m. Updated May 15, 2009, 12:58 a.m.

Lawrence police took four juveniles into custody after they led police on a high-speed pursuit from Lawrence to an area southeast of the Kansas Speedway.

The juveniles, aged 17, 14, 13 and 10 years old, were taken into custody about 10:15 p.m. Friday. Lawrence police Sgt. Mark Warren said the juveniles stole the van from The Shelter, a group home at 1615 Lindenwood Lane.

“They took the keys by force from the staff member,” Warren said. “They immediately loaded up in the van and took off.”

Warren said the staff member wasn't severely injured in the incident, but would have her hand examined at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a possible injury.

The four suspects, two boys and two girls, stole the full-sized passenger van at 9:33 p.m. Friday, Warren said. They crossed the Kansas River Bridge while fleeing from police.

The van was reportedly traveling 65 mph on North Second Street in North Lawrence before turning east on the turnpike. Police successfully used spike strips to blow out one of the van’s tires before it got on the highway.

As the van entered Leavenworth County, an officer in pursuit reported that one of the van’s tires was completely destroyed, leaving only the rim in contact with the pavement.

Warren said the van drove east at approximately 65 mph to Bonner Springs where it exited the turnpike. The van got back on the turnpike at 10:05 p.m. and was reportedly traveling eastbound in the westbound lane. The van was later traveling eastbound in the correct lane at 10:09 p.m.

An officer reported that multiple tires had been blown by spike strips at 10:09 p.m. The vehicle was then traveling approximately 35 mph, police said.

The suspects drove from Bonner Springs to Interstate 435, where they headed south. They went south to Kansas Avenue before driving into a shallow ditch near 98th Street and Kansas Avenue.

Warren said the Kansas Highway Patrol assisted with the pursuit, as well as Edwardville police, Bonner Springs police and other area agencies. The Kansas Highway Patrol took the juveniles into custody before handing them over to Lawrence police.

Warren wouldn't speculate as to why the juveniles stole the van. The suspects have not been formally charged, but Warren said any charges filed would be "serious."

"The equivalent for an adult would be robbery, to start. There'll be other things as well," he said.

David Lignell 6 years, 6 months ago

I think we have another Darwin award entry. First, a brief recap:

1. You guys stole a van?!
  2. A rim in contact with the pavement tends to draw attention to itself. Okay, so it happened in North Lawrence after the theft was discovered. What choice did you have? "Hmmm. Let's drive to Leavenworth County. I'm sure no one will notice." (Big duh!)
  3. If you're going to forfeit your freedom, wouldn't it be a bigger kick to forfeit it at 120 mph -- going out with a passion of fire -- instead of a mundane 65? (Putt-Putt...sputter...kur plunk!)
  4. Back to point #1, WHY did you steal a van?

I look forward to seeing this Darwin entry over my Internet during work hours. After reading it covertly, of course, I will prompty delete it as you and your pals have deleted your futures.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

the first Google ad comes up: "win a free kansas getaway!"

right on, for once the Google ad fits the content of the article!

I'm glad nobody got hurt in this, and the kids are back in custody.

and, ... what DavidL said!

David Lignell 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, Max. It's frustrating anytime when I hear about younger people making poor choices. (There's already too many older folk, like me, making poor choices over alcohol and debt!) So I opt for humor over pathos, though the latter stays with me longer. I wish the young had fewer rites of passage. What ever happened to clear rites like hunting for three days with a satchel of rice cakes or helping to build an Amish barn? I didn't accomplish either rite, or course. I was just wondering.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

Nobody getting hurt on the road is probably a miracle. For a least the driver, juvenile detention and Lansing are a big difference, which he/she will soon find out.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 6 months ago

I had my car stolen recently. The worst part, I didn't know it until the Sheriff came by my house and asked " do you know where your car is?" My response... " yes, it is parked right over.... whoops.... Where is it?"

Talk about feeling like an idiot. That should worth 5 bucks.

somebodynew 6 years, 6 months ago

Did_I_say_that - "The keys were given to a youth that staff made the mistake of trusting, or, the keys were easily accessible."

If you read the story a little closer, it stated that the keys were taken by force from the staff member, who suffered minor injuries. So I don't think there was a whole lot of trust going on there.

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 6 months ago

It would be fun just once to see a forum where no one thought they were funny bringing up the "T" name. It was cute the first time and only the first. Seems some people get on a subject and can't let go. Either that or they can't come up with anything original. We do actually have a few homegrown criminals here.

I'm going to make an assumption here and guess the 17-year-old was driving. If so, hope they try him/her as an adult. Four young lives could have been wiped out in an instant not to mention some others who got in their way. If these kids have already been in trouble, it is obvious that they don't have the skills to make reasonable decisions. Did they think that by stealing the keys, no one would report the van stolen? Maybe someday these kids will learn that when there are actions, there are consequences.

50YearResident 6 years, 6 months ago

These kids probably have been watching channel 48 (Wild Police Chases) where they learn you can drive 80 MPH on a flat tire. No one would ever try that unless it looked like the car drives as well as it does on the TV.

somebodynew 6 years, 6 months ago

50year - Have you never heard the term "drive it like it was stolen"?? Mostly it applies to rentals, but it this case that is exactly what they did.!!

Now, I hope they ALL pay the price for it, as I would assume they all had a hand in taking the keys and willingly going along with this.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

"your an idiot" a self-canceling, self-reference epithet. LOL.

again, thank God these kids and nobody else got hurt. now, let's hope the kids learn something and turn their lives around. so, this will be first and last transgression of the law.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

May 15, 2009, 10:01 p.m. Updated May 15, 2009, 12:58 a.m.

why they stole the van? they've had a tough time up to now and wanted some control in their lives; boys and girls wanted to get away and do what boys and girls do together; they naturally rebelled against authority; or, because they could.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

train hit a car E of the 'dirty bird' in north lawrence. driver=drunk, apparently uninjured.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

Autie: kids might be. This sounds just like something her ex husband in law kids might be in to..Or my sister's ex husband..I can't keep the all straight no more…most of them are from Oklahoma.

that's funny. but I want cousins! those cousins from muskogee or those really baaaad cousins from ft. whatchacallit.

you know them okies, you caint count on 'em ta do right. theyr kids runt wild doun thar, so theyr jus doin it here 2.

finally, Autie, I wisch you'd get a beter hanle on your reletives! soon, we gonna hav 2 bill you for theyr foolin around.

RoeDapple 6 years, 6 months ago

or pay him for entertainment value..........

Dani Davey 6 years, 6 months ago

Did_I_Say_That said: Unfortunately, the citizens of Lawrence will never know the outcome of these arrests. First, they are juvenile and, thus confidential. Second, if they are out of county, their sentencing will be deferred to their home county court.

1. Juvenile Offender cases are open to the public. The legislature changed the confidentiality if juvenile cases years ago. I suspect there will probably be a detention hearing/first appearance first thing Monday in Pro Tem if you want to go watch.

2. Only on motion of the state or their counsel. Most of the kids who live at the Shelter are in state custody, some for long term, so they don't really have a "home county" and Douglas is as good as anywhere.

somebodynew 6 years, 6 months ago

Did_I - OK, I know when to stand up and take the heat. Right after I hit "submit" I thought to myself, "Self, you should make a second post in case the story was updated." But, I was in too much of a hurry to bother.

My Bad. Now, Multi - can I get the Klondike Bar ????

somebodynew 6 years, 6 months ago

But I am still waiting for my Klondike Bar !?!?!?

quift 6 years, 6 months ago

While I realize this entry is late, I will have to say that the disappointing reality to the morale of this story is that the kids will probably not be held accountable as they should. Our system is set up to allow the kids to work their charges off through community service (which they feel no remorse for what they did). Then they are bounced from one placement to another, each with their own set of rules and regulations. Once these kids turn 18, they are released from custody (a huge majority of them) and the system dumps them. They have no resources available to them, no health insurance, and are often times 2-4 grade levels behind where they should be. It is at that moment they commit crimes again and get a real taste of punishment. But by then, that's all they know. I'm not excusing the children's behaviors in this matter, but there really needs to be an adjustment in the system and how these cases are handled.