Letters to the Editor

Dandelions just fine

May 5, 2009

To the editor:

The city of Lawrence should be proud to have the median of a major thoroughfare, Kasold Drive, filled from edge to edge with thick masses of yellow, then white dandelions year after year. It shows that we are not spewing out toxins to kill a harmless plant that I frankly find to be lovely. I think we have more pressing “problems” to address. I would rather have the dandelions than the herbicide!

Gates is from Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely. Dandelions are self sustaining = no city water,fertilizer or cancer causing herbicides. These median strips are no place to be placing carcinogen laden chemicals as this is a quick route to our water supply. To further destroy the now dead Kansas River running through Lawrence.

Last week concern came up about how the park department is spraying way too close to local waterways which drain into our rivers after rain storms.

There are so many new chemicals in our water supplies that most water suppliers cannot filter out. According to Frontline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/view/

Why? Because they don't know about them. Water cannot be tested for the unknown. Then think about the large number of pharmaceuticals that get flushed down the toilet either by way of urine or people simply disposing of them.

PCB's are back.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

If it weren't dadelions, I would have no yard at all.

BigPrune 5 years, 7 months ago

This letter must've come from one of the weed picker volunteers - When the little group lobbied the City to stop using herbicides, this little group also volunteered to pick the weeds. Of course they lied. Today they like weeds.

Not only does Lawrence look ugly, it also looks poor.

Thanks liars, you make our town suck!

cowboy 5 years, 7 months ago

Our parks have taken a noted downward slide in appearance since the weed lovers had an impact a few years ago. Use a weed killer every few years and you can control these. You can usually see the dandelion yards teamed up with a poorly maintained house . Take some pride in your yard !

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 7 months ago

cowboy - sorry but my yard has dandelions and I don't feel my house is poorly maintained. i do not spray my yard b/c children play in it daily. i believe they are exposed to enough chemicals outside of my home so i find no need to expose them to more. the kids love them. they pick them and then the next day we have even more.

i take pride in my house and my yard with all my beautiful yellow flowers!!! glad to know you are not my judge:)

jafs 5 years, 7 months ago

As others have noted, maintaining a yard so that it is only grass requires lots of resources and chemicals.

I think grass with naturally occurring dandelions looks just fine, and prefer to conserve water and not use toxic chemicals.

As far as appearances go, if the city would mow all of the park areas near our house at the same time, and do the areas around lightposts, etc. it would look fine.

Why do they come and do a little bit, then leave, and come back several times before finishing? And why can't they seem to do around the bases of utility poles, etc.?

number3of5 5 years, 7 months ago

Pilgrim2 - the definition of a weed is any plant that grows where you do not want it, so to you a dandelion may be a weed, but to me it is a salad green, a potato substitute, a fritter, some jelly or some fine wine. Whereas, the tomato growing in my asparagus bed or the blue strawflowers in my garlic patch are weeds.

cowboy 5 years, 7 months ago

I would bet your neighbors think your yard looks like crap , then your dandelions fly all over the neighborhood and inflict themselves upon the neighbors yards who actually care what their yard looks like.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 7 months ago

wow, cowboy, who peed in your wheaties? i could care less what you think. you don't know me and you sure don't have know my neighbors. we all get along and have no problems and don't worry about a few dandelions. so sad that they bother you so much.makes me want to go pick some and put them on your doorstep:) haha:) believe me there are yards that look alot worse than ours. we maintain our yard and our house to the best of our ability. we actually just had new guttering and we will be painting this summer plus putting a new deck on the house. you must have a sad life if you are worried about dandelions!!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

Howdy cowboy, look where you park your horse,,,, amazing no dandelions.....

bastet 5 years, 7 months ago

No problems with dandelions, but could they at least be mowed once in a while--preferably BEFORE they go to seed and spread all over?

Caller Hunsaker 5 years, 7 months ago

There is a safe chem free solution to the dandelion problem. Simply mow them when they are yellow. They will not bloom and spread if you do that. Mowing your lawn is safe for the river, children and pets. Maybe the city should mow more often. I live near memorial park run by the city and I understand with the budget why they can't mow often so the dandelions grow bloom and spread. Maybe some residents are having economical problems too, they either do not own mowers or can't afford the gas. The weeds will however, eventually take over and kill the grass and they will not have much curb appeal if they ever try to sell, not to mention the loss of value to their own property. I wondered about if we have a weed abatement department here. I see some yards that are only mowed 2 or 3 times per year if that. Oh well, that's my two cents.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 7 months ago

So your dandelions and the citys don't get removed, which in turn have their seeds spread across town to other yards, who will have to keep using herbicides year-round to control your seeds. So in essence, you are causing more herbicides to be added to the river by keeping your dandelions.

Keep your dandelions and ruin the river....

Betty Bartholomew 5 years, 7 months ago

Ever notice that the people who are the most irritated by dandelions and other wild flowers are the ones who mow their yards the most, anyhow, whether they're "afflicted" by them or not?

trinity 5 years, 7 months ago

hey get off the dandelion bashing...if you've never had a sweet little toddler come up to you to proudly gift you with a chain made from dandelion stems, then you ain't livin'.

or played the little ditty with 'em "mama had a baby and it's head popped off" while snapping the head off the dandy.

or watched in awe as your baby (who is fixin' to graduate college, now!) girl sits on her hot wheels, fixedly blowing the dried dandy stuff in to the wind. precious precious moments.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 7 months ago

trinity - EXACTLY!!

i think there are far worse things happening in this world than dandelions. next thing they'll want me to contain is my helicopters from my trees. the kids have a blast with these. and if a tree starts to sprout somewhere in the yard we just mow it down. and i hate to say to all the people who think we don't mow. we do, at least once a week. sometimes more if we've had alot of rain. i can say i would not want some of the people on here as neighbors. they'd want me to get rid of my kids for just being loud!!

can't wait until this afternoon, we'll be outside picking the dandelions, and spreading all the dried dandy stuff we can:)

boltzmann 5 years, 7 months ago

I've always thought that if I ever wanted to be a terrorist, the quickest way to wreck havoc and destroy the American spirit would be to fly over the suburbs and drop huge numbers of dandelion seeds.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

MD-, shouldn't smoke those dandelions..... much better if you eat them

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

MD Unlike Quarter horses, goats could fill in as a multipurpose animal. We could race them, use them for mowing the median, seeing eye goat, fetch me a beer, guard goat, they could supply us with dairy and meat products. Is there a large breed that could pull a beer wagon? As far as how hard it would be to breed a goat..........No idea, not interested, sounds kinky

kmat 5 years, 7 months ago

BigPrune - this letter was written because a lady wrote a letter last week bitching because how dare the city allow dandelions on Kasold.

Who cares about dandelions? If that's something you worry about, you really need to get a life.

The USA is the only country in the world that has a lawn maintenance industry. So many Americans are so consumed with what their stupid little patch of grass looks like and they've forgotten that there's more to life than mowing and obsessing over weeds. All that money spent on lawns could be spent to take care of people instead of grass.

I have a neighbor that mows at least 2-3 times a week, sprays weed killer at least once a month and obsesses over everything, He has no life. He works then comes home and screws with his yard. How sad. The whole neighborhood mocks him.

My husband spent a couple hours last week removing dandelions and playing with the dog in the front yard. Now they're all gone - no chemicals used.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow, let's see if we can get up to 200 comments about dandelions. To this day I pick some whenever I come across them and put them in a jelly jar on the window sill. Is someone really going to judge the entire city by the median on Kasold Drive? I can think of far more interesting places. I can't wait for the video of the complainer out on the median with a weed whacker at midnight screaming, "Die, die, for the love of God, die!" Md-just thought, maybe the homeless in the tent city could use the goat milk to make cheese? I would like to have a little farm with some Nubian's. Not likely.

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Isn't it the "Everybody is crazy but me!" person that gets hauled away in the rubber suit?

God bless

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 7 months ago

Kmat- perhaps your neighbor finds great peace and joy in working on his yard. Everyone needs a hobby, and I fail to see why his lawn obsession is any more pathetic than countless other time-consuming hobbies. At least your neighbor's hobby involves physical exercise. It beats coming home 2-3 nights a week and planting himself in front of the tv.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I do think people should keep a neat lawn. When I was growing up ours was always mowed and trimmed and we lived out in the country in the Ozarks! We had a hedge of roses that separated the lawn from the vegetable garden with a path though and I fell off right in the middle of the hedge once. Ouch! My daughter used to blow the seeds off and make a wish, and I told her if she said wakimatoa the wish would come true. She still remembers that. Speaking of goats, there are going to be some Chinese goats at the Spencer Museum of Art on campus this Thursday from 1-4. Just put a male and female goat together. They know what to do.

WHY 5 years, 7 months ago

Irish, did I ever tell you the story about the time when I was growing up and we would play under the acorn tree except nobody back then called them acorns they called them squirrel trees but that was just because I liked to swing on the tree all day and my dad used to tell me son get a job and work hard so you can buy a house so that you can spend every day you have off work mowing and trimming and sweeping up and that will teach you how to live your life like a true man but instead I just sat under the squirrel tree.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 7 months ago

"White mans' footsteps". Another invasive, introduced, non-native species. Kinda like 'em myself.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

Why, believe me we did not spend every waking moment on the lawn if that is what you are trying to say. The garden, now that was a different matter. Especially during caning season. I remember running on that lawn, playing croquet on it, sipping lemonade from green and white striped glasses under the weeping willow tree. I like your comment though. It was good.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

Roe, thanks for the link to the dandy lion picture. How about a few of those on the median with the goats? Maybe not. Are you going to see the Chinese goats on the Spenser lawn tomorrow?

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Irish, Still recovering from "Close Encounters of the Medical Kind", probably this old goat stating close to home ......

kmat 5 years, 7 months ago

Pilgrim and ren - I have a nice house with a very wonderful, non-chemically treated yard. My yard is a great example of how if you chose the right kinds of grass and plants and do a little self weeding, you don't need chemicals and don't have to obsess over your yard.

My neighbors yard looks like sh*t because he overmows it, sprays too much weed killer and because of all the chemicals has to keep any flowers or plants in pots or else they would die.

He spends so much time obsessing with his lawn because he has no life outside of that. He spends no time with his kids or wife. His pathetic life is his lawn. It's not a hobby and is pretty sad. But he's such a nasty guy that his family probably asks him to just go mess with the yard instead of putting up with him. He's the wonderful type that leaves notes on everyone's houses because he will never be happy with anything and yells at all the neighborhood kids that are out playing.

And guess what there Pilgrim - our houses are the same size, but mine's worth more, according to they city appraisals. See, I take care of my entire house and have wonderful landscaping. He has no landscaping and grass that mostly dies by late summer from the constant mowing.

Maybe the city should plant iris' in the medians. Mine spread like wildfire and no weeds stand a chance in the areas where they're planted.

satie 5 years, 7 months ago

The city looks like crap. The neighborhood streets are looking shabby, too. By the way, any of you chemical haters ever hear of a SHOVEL? KMAT... damn, what are you, a spy? haha

Eugehne Normandin 5 years, 7 months ago

unemployment,swine flu pontiac gone and you are worried about dandelions ?