Archive for Tuesday, March 31, 2009

McCain presses Sebelius on whether she’d support tax credit for insurance

March 31, 2009

Sebelius, in confirmation hearings, says healthcare reform is her 'mission'

Confirmation hearings for Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius are underway in Washington. Enlarge video

Kathleen Sebelius: Two decades in politics

Kathleen Sebelius is the nominee for Secretary of Health and Human Services in Obama's Cabinet. She has served as Kansas' governor since 2002 and before that was insurance commissioner and a state representative.

— Republican Sen. John McCain is asking President Barack Obama’s nominee for Health and Human Services secretary if she would support giving Americans a $5,000 tax credit for health insurance — the same plan he offered during his failed presidential bid.

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said she supports Obama’s plan.

Obama backs building on the current employer-based system and supplementing it with a government plan. That public plan option is opposed by Republicans and the insurance industry. Sebelius told McCain she supports it.

Comments

BrianR 5 years, 8 months ago

A tax credit does nothing for the unemployed and underemployed.

appleaday 5 years, 8 months ago

Not only that, but many insurance companies won't even cover individuals who try to purchase health insurance outside an employee plan. What good is a tax credit if you can't buy insurance?

1029 5 years, 8 months ago

Why is this even an article? The article about her confirmation hearings contains all this "info" already. McCain's "tax credit" idea was a pathetic appeal to simpletons. ("oohh, $5000? Sounds great.") That's part of the reason he is sitting in the senate instead of nominating the HHS secretary.

average 5 years, 8 months ago

The tax credit is worse than 'does nothing to help'.

What it does is encourage the young and healthy ('invincibles') to go for private insurance. Bully for them and all. Might even lead to a little more job flexibility among the young/healthy.

But, the flip side to that, is that group plans will only cover the sicker and older people. Which means they will get even more expensive, until the point that most companies stop bothering with them. 'Adverse selection' is the term for this.

Ryan Neuhofel 5 years, 8 months ago

McCain's actually policy suggestion is convoluted (much like the rest of his campaign), but I understand the desire to lessen the relationship of "health care" from "employers". People should NOT be penalized (via after-tax money) for actively shopping for health care/insurance outside of what their employer offers - regardless of income, age or health. But there are much better solutions than a "$5000 tax credit"

Mr. Lippencott and I have had a lively discussion about alternative health care reform at his recent blog post at . . .

1029, I hope you don't think I'm a "simpleton"!

KS 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, I guess if you don't pay taxes, a tax credit will not do you any good. For those of you who can't afford it, there is a program already in place. It is called Medicaid. For the rest of us, a tax credit can seem like a pretty good idea. I just can't wait until healthcare is free and the Feds run it like they will GM. Just look at the DMV and you will see what it will be like. Like going to the ER now only times ten. Afterall, it will be FREE! As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for!

Mixolydian 5 years, 8 months ago

"McCain tried to get Sebelius to agree with his contention that employer-based coverage is unfair because higher-paid employees get better coverage. She said she wasn’t familiar enough with the systems to say."

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to nominate an individual for HHS secretary who was familiar with health care systems.

I'm just saying.

average 5 years, 8 months ago

KS - I don't know when you last went to the DMV. I did about a month ago. Got renewed in about 4 minutes. I'd take the worst DMV experience I've ever had and the worst USPS experience I ever had together over the best Blue Cross, Coventry, UnitedHealth, etc, interaction I've ever had in my life. No questions asked about that one.

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

Can my wife get a "pre-existing condition credit" for her arthritis?

KSManimal 5 years, 8 months ago

Somebody should mention to McCain that he himself would be uninsurable under his own health care plan.