Archive for Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lawrence included in winter storm watch

March 26, 2009, 11:31 a.m. Updated March 26, 2009, 6:03 p.m.

Winter is returning for one last blast.

First there will be rain Thursday, then snow on Saturday, 6News meteorologist Craig Gold said. Thursday’s temperature will reach a high of only 39 degrees, he predicted.

“It’s going to be a chilly, on-and-off showery scenario for Friday,” he said.

A winter storm watch issued by the National Weather Service in Topeka goes into effect Thursday night and will continue through Saturday evening in Lawrence and much of northeastern Kansas.

The storm should be out of Lawrence sometime Saturday afternoon, but it could leave anywhere from 3 to 6 inches of snow on the ground, Gold said.

In addition to Douglas County, the watch affects these counties: Shawnee, Jefferson, Franklin, Riley, Pottawatomie, Jackson, Wabaunsee, Lyon, Osage, Coffey and Anderson. In addition to Lawrence, these cities are in the watch area: Manhattan, Topeka, Ottawa and Emporia.

Snow amounts elsewhere in the watch area will vary, according to the weather service. It’s possible that up to a foot of snow could accumulate in western Kansas.

Thursday night, the temperature will fall to 28 degrees and start the changeover from rain to snow, Gold said.

“At some point, it is going to change to all snow, and when that happens depends on how much snow we will get,” he said. “It could be a heavy, wet snow.”

Temperatures on Sunday will likely be in the upper 30s, but the amount of snow on the ground also will have an effect on the high, Gold said.

“The snow should melt pretty quickly,” he said. “I don’t think it’s going to stick around very long.”

The Kansas Division of Emergency Management is urging Kansans to prepare for these dangerous weather conditions.

“It is absolutely critical to have an emergency kit in your home that allows you to stay safe during power outages,” said Maj. Gen. Tod Bunting, director of KDEM and Kansas adjutant general. “This needs to include bottled water, nonperishable food, medications, blankets and flashlights.

“If you plan to travel over the next several days, make sure you have an emergency kit with you and plenty of gas in your vehicle’s gas tank in case you become stranded or delayed,” Bunting said. “If possible, change your travel plans to avoid the storm.”

Kansans may monitor road conditions by calling 511 or going to http://511.ksdot.org. If outside the state, call 866-511-5368 to get local road conditions.

Here are some items to include in a home emergency supply kit:

• Water: One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation.

• Food: At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food for each person.

• Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both.

• Flashlight and extra batteries.

• First-aid kit.

• Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.

• Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities.

• Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food).

• Local maps.

Comments

maxcrabb 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess march madness applies to more than just basketball.

Buh-zing!

But seriously, folks, have you seen this? Have you heard about this? Apparently, there's some snow coming.

crowd gasps and murmurs

Yeah, it's true. A cargo plane full of cocaine was flying over Kansas, when the pilots got into their own stash, thought it was too hot, and opened up all the windows...

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Curtis Lange 5 years, 5 months ago

4-8" are the conservative numbers. It's not out of the question that WE could see at least 12" here as well.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

How many inches is Katie expecting north of the river?

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 5 months ago

How are there going to be 4 or 8 or however many inches of snow when they're predicting the high temp to be 42? Last time I checked snow melted at that temp.

countrygirl 5 years, 5 months ago

Joy. Son's scout troop has a campout this week-end and I'm told they won't cancel for weather. We're digging out the wool socks and long undies!

iLikelawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

Tried reading this article and I was hit by 3, count em THREE pop-under ads for American Express. I know media is hurting for revenue but the pop under ads are getting ridiculous.

edit: while previewing my comment TWO more AmEx pop under ads came up.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 5 months ago

ilikelawrence- What browser and OS are you using. You shouldn't be getting more than one per day.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

otto 5 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it actually be a spring weather advisory -

d_prowess 5 years, 5 months ago

4-8 inches... maybe 12... heck, I heard we could get 24 inches!!!

iLikelawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Kealing, Safari on a Mac.

I usually keep pop up blocker off for forms ect but I've turned it on now. No problems. If the pop ups were actually local ads I'd be more interested in looking at them.

Curtis Lange 5 years, 5 months ago

d_prowess: That is possible too, but those amounts should stay in southwestern Kansas where a Blizzard warning is in effect.

otto: Snow is winter weather hence why it is a Winter Storm Watch regardless of season.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

lol-R_I, what a wonderful world, eh? :)

holy smokes-i MUST leave work early to go home and build some sort of shelter for my satellite dish!!!! dear gawd! if i can't eat my pizza, popcorn, cookies and drink barley pop whilst watching KU basketball friday night-i don't know what i'll do. can't be held responsible.

better make sure there's plenty of milk&bread. :)

alm77 5 years, 5 months ago

ilike - two things, go to "Safari" and check "Block Pop Up Windows" then go clean out your cookies. Viola!

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

I'll believe it when and if I see it! My idea of being prepped for a so-called winter storm is the kids being home and safe, and a hot cafe' mocha in my hand.

kusp8 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope Chuck Norris can slap Mother Nature in the face for me and make her quit being so dang moody!

JoRight 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm calling it now: It's going to be all rain, no accumulations & the predictions will be sensationalized yet again.

Tammie Bryant 5 years, 5 months ago

Emergency kit? Really? Aren't we overreacting a tad bit?

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, like it was supposed to rain all last weekend. Then it was supposed to rain at 1 pm on Monday, then at 6:00 pm, then at sometime in the evening. We finally got the storm around 2:00 am I guess. I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course, I'll be the frozen corpse that the Lawrence FD will remove from my home 3 days later...

HermioneElliott 5 years, 5 months ago

Why do you need local maps in the home emergency kit? So you know what room you are hunkered down in? We should keep focused on what is important. The Kansas Jayhawks. Don't let the cable go out. But, I am going to go shopping in a couple of hours and lay in supplies for the game in case the snow arrives early. That way-no snow.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

When is the last time Lawrence actually got 12' of snow?

aha 5 years, 5 months ago

oh good grief. we'll get a dusting maybe a couple of inches at the most. that's it.

but everyone be sure to run and clear out the grocery stores while you still can.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

R_I - are we crossing threads? Nope, never test drove any Jag. I'm more of an Italian car kinda gal.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

"When is the last time Lawrence actually got 12' of snow?"

The last ice age?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

bozo - Lawrence gets plenty of ice. Just about every winter is just another ice age. But snow...that is a different animal all together.

Justin Roberts 5 years, 5 months ago

Memo: Mother Nature Spring began last week. There is NO snow in Spring.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 5 months ago

spring needs to spring already and stay that way. Come on spring your are bigger you can do it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

Jersey Girl-- just needling you on your typo-- I assume you meant 12", not 12'.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

LOL! Yes, I did. Thanks, bozo.

timetospeakup 5 years, 5 months ago

Good work editors, your link to the 511 website is broken (needs to be http:// not ttp://)

and good work kdot, your site the "Requires Firefox 2.0 or greater" denies me access with firefox 3.0.7.

cellogrl 5 years, 5 months ago

Ha! I'm loving the Ghostbuster's reference Reticent! :)

budwhysir 5 years, 5 months ago

yes the world is in shambles, this weather will stop your heart from beating. However, we will be receiving a bail out some time next week. Have no fear, the snow will soon turn to water and flood out entire being from the valley. Dont let your defenses down, the sun will soon burn out and we will die of starvation

Joel Hood 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm joining the doubters. There is no way we will get that much accumulation. In fact, if more than 1 inch accumulates, I will listen to the Missouri fight song for 5 minutes on Sunday. Now that is putting my money where my mouth is!

tonymontana 5 years, 5 months ago

maxcrabb

that was my plane. sorry about that.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says…

"Sounds to me like you are all going to die. Can I have your stuff?"

its gonna be like mad max on ice!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Stay close to somebody related to Dennis Quaid. It's your only hope.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

BTW, "mad max on ice". LOLZ! Good one, Jaylee.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Would that be Mad Mad Ice Capades?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

MD, the members of the snap tribe moved around a lot (often under the cover of darkness) & changed names a few times. I could be related to anybody.

devilsrighthandman 5 years, 5 months ago

Is this a plan of HyVee and Dillions to stimulate their bottom line?! There is a winter storm so head to your local grocery stores and buy up everything that you can. Spend people spend. Then Sunflower will get involved and charge us all for the KU game since we are not allowed to leave our homes! Then the city fines us all for not shoveling our sidewalks. Someone take credit for this brilliant stimulus plan!! Hahaha.

PatKirk 5 years, 5 months ago

LOL. Thanks for the laughs guys. You're all in rare form.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

"Dont let your defenses down, the sun will soon burn out and we will die of starvation"

hey bud, think they can finish the SLT before the sun burns itself up.... Hate to see um build that thing in the dark, you know

Curtis Lange 5 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkerjoel: Get that Mizzou fight song ready then...

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

Anyone else tired of seeing those awful yellow teeth that are long and look like horse teeth on the side of our screen???

budwhysir 5 years, 5 months ago

The slt has ran its course, we now have a small but adequate area to call the road to no where. Also, the water around there will soon be proven to cause a toxic gas that slows the growth of dirt. It is only a matter of time till the SLT will be taxed just as the hog farms will be. I saw a sign the other day that said Otter crossing in the middle of the puddle out there. How much did that cost the average tax payer. Look folks, when the snow flies, on come yellin at me about the shortage of muskrat meat. I know where it is

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Gootsie- Quit making fun at me.... Those are mine. The white ones were back ordered.

Ceallach 5 years, 5 months ago

Gootsie, I was just showing that ad to a co-worker! Brenda has some really scary teeth!! That ad should come out of the rotation. Yuck

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, like I've said before, there's nothing worse than expecting 6 inches and getting 2.....

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Starting to sprinkle where I am camping. Hope snow doesn't get here early

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 5 months ago

21 year old said garden city under blizzard warning and they keep saying 20 inches. I say no no no no to any of it.

Tricky Gnosis 5 years, 5 months ago

Dammit. We're going to lose another year of apples aren't we???

This is due to a lack of global warming. Go drive some more SUVS!!!

HermioneElliott 5 years, 5 months ago

xbusguy, you get wi-fi where you are camping?

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

Shoot, I wish I could load up my boys and head for Garden City!! Man, western Ks does know how to do winter right. Brings back sweet memories of winter '86-'87 when I was going to the CC out there. Got 8 inches one night. The next morning, I drove the sidewalks on campus in a '78 Chevy Caprice. (was the dean's pet in a former life)

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

yep, camping right here next to the wood stove, in my easy chair.

I may be a little slow,, but I learned about the tent thing pretty darn quick...... afraid of snakes.

yankeelady 5 years, 5 months ago

nooooo. it's supposed to be spring, It was 80 last week. I want sun and flowers and warm weather. NO SNOW

del888 5 years, 5 months ago

Here are some items to include in a home emergency supply kit:

beer snacks for ncaa tourney air horn to blow when j-hawks win

yoornotmee 5 years, 5 months ago

LOL @ "spring weather advisory".

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Who is going to win the xavier/pitt game????

hujiko 5 years, 5 months ago

I honestly don't care if we get a foot of snow, there is absolutely nothing you can do about the weather so stop complaining.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

hujiko (Anonymous) says…

I do !

justaverage 5 years, 5 months ago

Add this to your supply list: Remington 870 with plenty of 00 Buckshot to keep pesky folks at bay who didn't prepare, hehe.

kusp8 5 years, 5 months ago

I swear if I can't watch the KU game tomorrow I will go Topeka on somebody!

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm a little confused:

"For areas along and south of Interstate 35, sleet or freezing rain also could fall."

Doesn't I-35 run north/south?

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

Dang folks, I'm a bit worried!

Traveled down to TX today and am supposed to drive back on Saturday.

Not worried about here or Lawrence, it's just the part in between. Check out the Wichita forecast. No mere "snow" or "winter watch" for them... it's a BLIZZARD WARNING.

SEDGWICK COUNTY:

RAIN IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW BY LATE FRIDAY MORNING INTO FRIDAY AFTERNOON... WITH SNOW CONTINUING FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. THE SNOW MAY BE VERY HEAVY AT TIMES WITH SNOWFALL RATES APPROACHING TWO INCHES PER HOUR... ESPECIALLY WITH ANY PERIODS OF THUNDER SNOW. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY SATURDAY MORNING ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS. THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY NORTH WINDS WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE BLOWING SNOW... AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES NEAR ZERO. THIS WILL CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE DRIVING CONDITIONS ACROSS THE REGION WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

Dang, dang, dang. Don't know whether to just stay here in Dallas an extra night, or drive at least as far as OK City on Saturday and then trust that we can get a room, or try to muscle through (bad idea if this forecast is accurate.)

Wish we were in Lawrence with y'all, buying Chex Mix and getting ready to watch the Jayhawks.....

wiredgirl 5 years, 5 months ago

"Doesn't I-35 run north/south?"

In the watch area referred to in the article, I-35 looks more like it runs east-west, although technically, you are correct.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Pywacket - what about your croakuses?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Also, I believe DG is now under a blizzard watch until Saturday at 7 pm.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

hey jersey, I think they might just croak.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

"there's a helpful smile in every aisle."

HI-V controls the weather.

hey, they probably control the pilot of that low flying helicopter, too!

where's Clint Eastwood when we really need him.

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks MD

(Foolishly, I am still up.... I really need to get to bed, though)

I'm not worried about Lawrence getting much -- but I'm going to keep an eye on the Wichita area forecast for the drive home on Saturday.... (Not sure where you meant when you said "us" -- is it true that you're not living in larryville anymore?)

Wish there were some other way of getting back to Lawrence other than going through this mess. Can't go around it -- it keeps going far into MIssouri and who knows where else!

Ah well, I will check in again tomorrow (before the KU game, which I sure hope I'll be able to watch from this TX hotel room).

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

I predict 3.5 inches. Anyone else want to guess? Winner gets a sauteed salamander.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

OK I just looked at The Weather Channel prediction, and it says 2-4 inches. That means we will get about 9-12 inches. bummer!

KU Weatherman? Any more thoughts?

Boeing 5 years, 5 months ago

I heard on the radio this morning that it's down to 2-4 inches...the prediction seems to drop every minute. By the time tomorrow rolls around, maybe I'll actually be able to swim in my pool...

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

yeah but...yeah but...yeah but...don harman had us in the purple! he says 6-10 inches of snow! tsk!

i am still going to elbow my way in to the local price chopper and stock up! must. have. supplies. it may be sunday afternoon before i can get out again!

on that note- friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :)

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

and why is today's ots unavailable??? geesh!

Poon 5 years, 5 months ago

Dang durnit, now I got that dad-gum Mizzouri fight song stuck in my head.

Speaking of Mizzou, WOW did they look impressive last night. I can't claim to be a Tiger fan, but WOW!

As for the snow, it really depends on at least two factors.

1. The storm track. If it moves farther south, we may get nothing. If it moves further north, then snowfall totals might be more impressive.

2. The "foot race" between the cold air and the precip. If the cold air infiltrates early, then naturally we would see more snow.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

MD, it may not look like it, but I actually get up at 5:00 every weekday and go to the gym. But I am worthless after 8:30p....the tradeoff.

We may all wish we had the Ewell Gibbons cookbook..

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

oh, now gootsie-if i have to resort to cooking houseplants for sustenance, that's it. i'm throwin' in the towel and moving somewhere that has no snow.

i do my working out in the evenings; wonder if i still have that euphoria thing going on when i wake up in the morning? :)

who cares. it is FRIDAY. :)

Curtis Lange 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm sticking to my 'at least 8"' prediction for Lawrence.

Centurion 5 years, 5 months ago

Curtis, I'm going to hold you to that! :)