Archive for Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lawrence man bound over for trial in alleged rape of 11-year-old

March 25, 2009

A Douglas County judge ruled that there is probable cause to believe a 21-year-old Lawrence man raped an 11-year-old girl whom he was baby-sitting.

Judge Michael Malone bound the man over for trial at the conclusion of a preliminary hearing Wednesday afternoon in District Court.

The 11-year-old victim took the stand, describing how the defendant had sex with her Feb. 6 at her North Lawrence home.

The defendant was baby-sitting the girl and her siblings while her parents were out of town at a casino.

A Lawrence police officer testified that the suspect admitted during a three-hour interview with detectives that he touched the child inappropriately.

The court set an arraignment for April 24.

The Journal-World generally does not name suspects in sex crimes unless there is a conviction.

Comments

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow. These parent should be on trial as well. But in Douglas county he may get a lil more than 60 days in jail and 96 mos probation. Thats their policy. This county does nothing to protect our children. Make them register slap their hands and let them go home so they can do it again only learn how to hide things more. Thats all they will do.

Ashley Shoemaker 5 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. Whats up with the parents? was he a "friend" of the family, how about you stay home, or find someone reputable! he'll be out in no time..... a slap on the wrist

Freestater456 5 years, 9 months ago

He deserves to be castrated and life in prison! This should be a capital offense. This girls life will never be the same and he should pay the price for that.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow! It is amazing how fast a lot of you are to blame the parents. There's always the first time a person babysits for you. There's always a first time a pedophile acts inappropriately. There's always a first time he gets found out. We don't know why the parents asked this particular person to babysit. We don't know how the parents know him. Would you be slower to blame the parents if they had been at a prayer meeting rather than at a casino? Or is it because they live in North Lawrence? If this happened at a home in the Alvamar area, would the parents be less culpable? Even if THEY had been at a casino?

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 9 months ago

This is NOT the parents fault. It is the 21 year old man who is going to hell. I'm sure any parent that lets a person babysit is trusting of that person. Im sure they didn't just pick someone off the streets and say hey will you watch our kids? The parents are probably going through alot right now as well as the little girl, but it is the 21 year old who is to blame.

frustratedOne 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree with pissedinlawrence. I know this family and know that this babysitter was close to their family, like a son to them. It was also my understanding that this man had his girlfriend there helping to babysit. The parents of this little girl are good parents and whether or not they went to movies or a casino is not the issue. It is healthy for any adult relationship and especially for parents to spend time alone together. This should in no way cause the parents to be on trial for this mans actions. These people do not deserve to be victimized yet again. They treated this man and his girlfriend as their own children, always helping them. They trusted these two adults with their children,proabably even paid them to watch their children, and this is how they were repaid. What he did was wrong and that is all there is to it. I pray this family has plenty of support systems and that they will see justice done by our system. My heart goes out to them and that poor little girl.

glock23 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes this guy was like family to this poor child and her parents. Yes he has a girlfriend and from what I heard she was there but didn't know it was happening. But I just learned she is standing beside him. Me being a man can even see how manipulative this guy is and how sick this girl is. Maybe she should be to blamed too. But I do know he does not deserve to see the light of day and knowing now that the girlfriend was there to, is anyone looking at her? These parents are not to be blamed at all, I am a father of 5 and there were plenty of times my wife and I trusted friends and nothing ever happened, but if it had I would blame both "adults" who were in the home! Maybe she should be brought up on some charges, I mean really how could she not know something was going on? SEND THEM BOTH TO JAIL FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!

glock23 5 years, 9 months ago

I also want to add that I love this town and I hope that the judicial system does not pass this guy by! Exspecially in light that I just talked to someone and they informed me he has been arrested before for raping another girl, but he was under age so not much happened. I truly hope this town, that may not be the town I spent most of my life in but it is now my home, steps up and makes him pay for this little girls life.