Archive for Sunday, March 22, 2009

Emergency crews life-flight one after four-wheeler rollover

Emergency crews responded Sunday morning to a rollover accident at 967 E. 1500 Rd. involving a four-wheeler.

March 22, 2009

Rollover sends young ATV driver to hospital

A four-wheel driver is life-flighted to Children's Mercy Hospital after a rollover accident just before 11 a.m. Sunday. Enlarge video

Emergency crews responded late Sunday morning to a one-vehicle rollover accident involving a four-wheeler at 967 E. 1500 Rd.

The driver was headed northbound when his ATV struck a dog, according to Douglas County Undersheriff Steve Hornberger. As emergency crews cleaned up the scene, they pulled the yellow four-wheeler from the ditch east of the road.

“The vehicle overturned,” Hornberger said. “And the driver was thrown from the vehicle into the ditch.”

The driver of the four-wheeler, a male, was transported from the site via Life Star helicopter to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. He sustained a head injury but never lost consciousness, Hornberger said.

Emergency personnel received the call at 10:59 a.m. and reported to the scene at 11:09 a.m.

Comments

HermioneElliott 6 years, 2 months ago

Not funny, remember what happened to the woman skier who had the accident in Canada. She was alert and insisted she was all right. Later she became sick, and a few days later, died. You never know. I think they might have said something about the dog. Did it belong to the driver and it was running beside and decided to run in front and got caught?

ollie_na4eva 6 years, 2 months ago

Hope the rider comes out ok. Is the dog ok?

jackbbatchelor 6 years, 2 months ago

we drove by it when the first ambulence came he wasnt wearing any protective gear

gsxr600 6 years, 2 months ago

If you don't wear protective gear and get in an accident, you deserve to get whatever injuries you get.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 2 months ago

That's kind of cold gsxr600, but just saying minors should wear helmets.

gsxr600 6 years, 2 months ago

Google "road rash" and you'll understand. Not saying gear will always save your life, but it can do a whole lot of good. I ride a motorcycle and I always gear up because of this.

HermioneElliott 6 years, 2 months ago

Anyone else notice that the ad, preparing your pets for an emergency is next t to the picture of the accident?

MissinLawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

ocean- i was told this by a sheriff officer after being pulled over for riding my atv on a gravel road about 2 years ago during the summer: In the state of Kansas, ATV's are illegal to ride on state owned highways. If you are under the age of 18 and not wearing a helmet, you can receive a ticket for not wearing a helmet. Of course if someone calls in a noise complaint about your loud ATV, you can receive a ticket for that as well. But this officer told me that they do not chase ATV riders, for if that rider would crash while the officer was chasing him/her, the officer would be faulted. Hopefully this information is helpful.

Radar Callaway 6 years, 2 months ago

A helmet works. I had a very minor accident once. When I checked my helmet afterwards, it had two bruise marks. The fall happened very quick without any chance to recover. My ego was hurt more than I was. My prayers are with the rider and his family. Peace be with you.

mbarne22 6 years, 2 months ago

FYI he was using the four wheeler going from one farm to another doing chores when the dog ran out in front of him. He tried to advoid the dog at all cost but couldn't. It doesn't matter about the dog anyway. He is doing ok.

frank mcguinness 6 years, 2 months ago

mbarne22, I sincerely doubt he was going from farm to farm on a honda 400ex plus there is a group that have been riding in that area over the last week.

Either way, even farmers should wear a helmet.

mbarne22 6 years, 2 months ago

I know him personally and he was going farm to farm helpin his dad. when he has been riding like that for 3 or 4 years with nothin happening to him it wouldn't cross it mind for something like this to happen. So maybe all you people who dont know what your talking about shouldn't say anything unless you know the actual story. Especially you rooster.

mbarne22 6 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 2 months ago

"when he has been riding like that for 3 or 4 years with nothin happening to him it wouldn't cross it mind for something like this to happen"

Safety comes when we take time to consider the possibilities. "It won't happen to me" gets a lot of people hurt. And, that's not something we need to put on HIM. His parents are the ones that needed to consider safety and then require him to wear appropriate gear. He's young. Of course he's not going to consider how he can get hurt: he's invincible at that age.

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

"mbarne22 (Anonymous) says…

Honestly its a dog who really cares if the dog is stupid enough to run in front of a moving vehicle then it deserves wat it got. Remember that there was a young man hurt in this accident i think you ppl need to show a little more sympathy. Your down right rude."

You don't get it. We care about the dog. The guy chose to ride a dangerous vehicle with no helmet. That's his stupidity and hopefully he learned from this that he was a moron and had better wear gear next time. Thd dog didn't chose to get run over by before mentioned moron.

I used to ride a motorcycle. Anyone that rides any type of motorized vehichle with no helmet has a death wish. Doesn't matter if you're going one block or one mile.

mbarne22 6 years, 2 months ago

Who cares about the dog there is millions of other dogs in the world. I dont care what you care about honestly. You are all heartless!!! Its just a dumb dog. Everyone needs to be more worried about the young man than the dog.

MissinLawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

mbarne22- we are concerned and hope this young man is okay (yes i know him personally too). But having said that I am aware of how he drives his ATV, FAST!!! I wonder how fast he was going when the dog ran in front? Probably a little too fast to be driving on that road.

Hopefully this is a lesson for everyone who operates machinery like this, safety first. I learned my lesson the hard way when I hydroplaned about 4 years ago going around a corner too fast. Luckily I missed the road signs and only flew about 30 feet, and came out with just a broken collar bone and 4 ribs.

Just be careful. You never know when it could be your last ride.

mbarne22 6 years, 2 months ago

yea i understand wat your saying i'm jus irritated about the ppl who are worried about the dog more than him. Its not right

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

What you aren't getting mbarne is that he chose to drive that ATV recklessly with no care for his safety. The dog didn't get a choice. UNDERSTAND??? Yes there are millions of dogs out there and there are also millions of idiots that don't take precautions and endanger themselves and others. You can be concerned for him all you want to. He chose to not care about his own safety, so why should the rest of us be concerned?

DirtyGirl 6 years, 2 months ago

'The rest of us should be concerned' about a young man in our community who doesn't recognize the importance of safety. His actions affect the community both the people and environment (animals). Caring about it is important. Apathy is destructive to community.

icemanctg 5 years, 5 months ago

actually i was the one in the accident and who cares about the stupid dog it ran out to chase my atv there was no way of avoiding it and yes i slaughtered the dog.... and the thing is that the main problem i had after the wreck was not my head it was actually my back so yeah the helmet would of helped me from getting a head injury but it wasnt gonna save my back any so all of you guys should probably stop being so rude cuz im pretty sure none of you guys would like it if that was you and you were talkin crap........thank you....

UfoPilot 5 years, 5 months ago

I know some one who's son now lives in a wheel chair because of an ATV rollover. Not funny and not fun. BE CARE FULL OUT THERE!

RoeDapple 5 years, 5 months ago

hek i thinks evin most the cuzins coulda gots it sed in lessen nine munths coarse mosta the cuzins put thare dogs in thare frunt seet ridin shotgun an dont chase affer them down the rode so i bettr not tauk boutit