Archive for Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kansas wind industry booming

March 19, 2009

— Kansas has tripled its wind generating capacity in the last 15 months, and wind power supporters are hoping that is just the beginning.

Flat Ridge Wind Farm in Nashville, about 60 miles southwest of Wichita, began operations recently and will generate about 100 megawatts of power a year. And the Central Plains Wind Farm in Marienthal, just east of Leoti, is partially online. It will produce 99 megawatts when fully operational.

The two new wind farms make Kansas one of the few states in the country that can now generate more than 1,000 megawatts of wind power a year.

Government and industry officials say Kansas is making strides in taking advantage of its windy conditions, but there is still a long way to go to make wind energy profitable in the state.

Comments

WHY 5 years, 9 months ago

The industry is booming but not profitable?????

Hey hows business going? Its booming!!! Sounds great. Yeah but I don't make any money and it cost taxpayers a fortune.

truman1902 5 years, 9 months ago

Good to see these mammoth structures looming large from my car window outside of Salina on I-70...With tornado season just ahead, I'm looking forward to how these behemoths sustain the F1's to F5's force winds surely headed in their direction ..

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 9 months ago

I've often wondered what a tornado would do to a wind energy installation. Eventually, we will find out.

Such a poopy technology. We shouldn't even be bothering with it. We don't want to throw any bones to hippie environmentalists and their feel-good poopy energy ideas.

elfth 5 years, 9 months ago

Very insightful comments. We can all sleep easy knowing we have tornado proof coal generation.

spankyandcranky 5 years, 9 months ago

Any business starting out takes time to create a profit because of building costs. I'm glad to see we've finally finished building some wind farms. I feel that they're a step in the right direction and I appreciate that this state is finally using some of it's natural resources for it's own gain. I'm sure the possibility of tornadoes were taken into account when designing the structures -- although a big enough tornado can probably cause damage to just about any soundly built item ... I guess that's something most people in Kansas are aware of already without someone mentioning it in a response to an article.

georgeofwesternkansas 5 years, 9 months ago

Wind will be good if you don't mind the "smart grid".

Hey, my a/c is off it is really hot in here. Oh yea, the "smart grid " shut it down cause they need the power someplace else.

The wind stops blowing when the sun is going down, have you ever noticed that??

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 9 months ago

Ag--

One of the things that really bugs me about anti-wind/anti-sustainability folks is that they seem to be operating under the assumption that those technologies are static, meaning that they are as developed as they will ever be. To me, it sounds like people who are against these technologies are against them simply because they don't like the people who are promoting the technologies (i.e.--"feel-good" "liberal" "hippie"-types). It's really sad that detractors seem to have an inability to look beyond the cultural aspects of this debate.

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

Fortunately, the sun is always up and the wind is always blowing somewhere.

kmat 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey George - you poor baby. There's a chance you can't stay at a perfect 70 degrees all the time? I feel for you. How did anyone ever exist without AC? They must have all died from heat exhaustion before AC was invented. How did the human race survive for so many years before they had all the modern conveniences we have now?

Keep on crying. That wind will just blow your tears away.

I didn't know we grew whiners and sunflowers out in western KS.

Have you ever thought about the fact that not all electricity is going to come from wind and solar and that they aren't going to cut off your electricity? We can have multiple energy sources and wind is just one of them. I think the education system is lacking in W. KS. I always heard that all the money went to the SM school district. I guess it does.

Horace 5 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone know how much wind it takes to push my car down K-10 at 70mph?

JohnBrown 5 years, 9 months ago

Even if wind energy is created at a loss its still a win for the USA if we buy American and the electricity can be made available to transportation.

ANY energy we can produce here and not buy from the Middle East or Venezuela is good.

KsTwister 5 years, 9 months ago

If George really was from Western Kansas he would know the wind starts blowing every night about 7pm. I only know this because I thought it odd that when visiting family out there they always point it out. And it does. Try again George. When the oil runs out or people are paying $6.00 a gallon to OPEC I guarantee it will be booming to have those turbines.

Bill Griffith 5 years, 9 months ago

Based upon comments by KCPL and Westar, we should have another 600 MW of wind power up and running in Kansas within a couple of years or so. BPU, Sunflower, and Midwest may also be in the mix for more wind-generated electricity either from Tradewind's Smoky Hills windfarm or someplace else. I doubt if we double within three years but we might-I guess they must have factored in the joules needed and the math still works out.

OnlyLawrenceRepublican 5 years, 9 months ago

"Exactly how much is it costing me?"

I'm not sure about how much it costs you, personally, but it's estimated that the 2008 PTC was a $42 billion subsidy.

gphawk89 5 years, 9 months ago

I grew up in Kansas and never heard of Marienthal or Leoti. And I didn't know we had a "Nashville" either. Then again, how many Lawrence residents know we have a "Covert" and a "Hunter"?

"generate more than 1,000 megawatts of wind power a year" "generate about 100 megawatts of power a year" Something doesn't sound quite right with these statements. Does the writer mean megawatt-hours? Saying "megawatts per year" is like saying a car has 200 horsepower per year.

Not sure if I agree with anyone's assessment of western KS wind. Seems like it blows day and night...

Bill Griffith 5 years, 9 months ago

OLR, Can you also toss into the mix how much of a subsidy the oil interests receive altogether from Uncle Sam? How about the nuclear industry? Coal? Thanks.