Archive for Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring mating season gets birds so excited they might be charging into your windows

A robin looks for a meal in the grass. According to experts, it's not uncommon for the birds to get territorial as breeding season approaches.

March 18, 2009

It sure can be nice to enjoy that view as spring — crash — approaches.

Unless of course a robin or cardinal is repeatedly flying into the pane, ruining your peaceful glance outside.

Well, it’s common for the birds to get territorial leading up to breeding season.

They’re so jealous, in fact, that the sight of their own reflection could encourage them to attack.

“It’s almost always males. Females are smarter,” said Stan Roth, a retired Lawrence High School biology teacher.

Roth said ornithologists have determined that birds during the breeding season will first vocally try to engage the bird they see in a reflection because they think it’s a competitor.

“If that doesn’t work, they may try an attack mode and bash into a window,” Roth said.

And some birds might be so competitive that it’s hard for them to give up. The window thumping can last for hours or over the course of several days.

Outside of the breeding season, birds can often fly into windows if predators, like hawks, spook them. In those instances, the birds can often injure or kill themselves because they are trying so hard to escape from the hawk, Roth said.

Several bird-watching publications suggest taking steps to reduce the reflection outside, like pulling down shades, putting screens up or even soaping your windows for a couple weeks during the spring.

Roth said several buildings with large windows or a breezeway are often decorated or shaded to make the glass appear more like a barrier for birds.

Comments

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 1 month ago

kerplunkr,

Thank you for mentioning a VERY important point that the article left out. LJ-World seems to be releasing a ton of articles lately that are very short and leave out the most obvious of points. I'm glad to see the comments section is stepping up to fill in the blanks!

elfth 5 years, 1 month ago

Explains lack of or broken mirrors in college bar mens restrooms.

think_about_it 5 years, 1 month ago

Don't you hate it when you are mowing along and run over a nest of baby rabbits? Flump, pawump, splat!!!! My dogs sure love it though.

kerplunkr 5 years, 1 month ago

To elaborate a bit more on this topic, if anybody finds any baby wild animals (such as rabbits, birds, squirrels, etc), leave them alone! People often find rabbits huddled in a nest in the middle of their yard and assume the mom abandoned them. This is not true. Momma rabbit only feeds her babies at dawn and dusk, and then leaves for the day. The reason for this is to not attract predators.

Also, if you find a baby bird that has fallen out of its nest, try and locate the nest and put the baby back in it. It is a fallacy that the bird parents will reject the baby after it has been handled by humans.

Lastly, do NOT try and raise baby wild animals on your own. Not only is it illegal you could get hurt. If you do find an orphaned or injured animal, please contact an appropriate wildlife authority/organization.

This has been your public service announcement for the day. =D

commentator_on_the_axe 5 years, 1 month ago

Sold my house last year. I'm laughing now, knowing the new owner is being bombarded my a robin now, and soon will be invaded by little black ants. I once bought a van, and for some reason, the bird either loved or hated the rear view mirrors. Poop everywhere. I had to cover the mirrors with grocery bags each time I came home. Changed brand of vans, different mirrors, problem solved. Got heated seats in the bargain. I learned that heated seats are the validation for a hard worked life. Did I think I needed them? No. Did I think them a silly luxury? Yes. Did I learn how remarkable it is to have them on a winter day? Yes! How do we live without those?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

And all this time I thought it was the clean windows.

Boeing 5 years, 1 month ago

Happens to me all the time

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope they don't start that at my house...the cats will go beserko.

Newell_Post 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks goodness I never bumped into a plate glass window or anything while looking at a pretty girl. Oh wait, I have done that.....

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

BeeBee3 5 years, 1 month ago

OK- someone has got to say it... slow news day??