Archive for Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Driver tries to elude police, rolls car near 25th and Ousdahl

A driver who attempted to flee from police rolled his car near 26th Street and Ousdahl Road at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.

March 18, 2009, 1:47 a.m. Updated March 18, 2009, 9:32 p.m.

Driver flees from police, crashes car

A driver rolled his car this morning after leading police on a chase. Enlarge video

A driver rolled his car early Wednesday morning after leading Lawrence police on a chase through a neighborhood south of Kansas University.

The driver, a 28-year-old Lawrence man, ran a red light heading south at 19th and Tennessee streets at 1:30 a.m., police said.

“When an officer tried to pull the car over, the driver failed to yield,” Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said. “He attempted to flee from the officer, taking side streets and some major streets through the Centennial neighborhood.”

After driving west on 21st Street, east on 22nd Street, and north on Carolina Street, the man proceeded to Ousdahl Road and headed south across 23rd Street.

The driver then tried to turn east on 25th Court but could not negotiate the turn, causing his car to roll over.

Medical personnel arrived shortly to treat the man, who was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor cuts to his forehead.

The driver was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, attempting to elude police, reckless driving, no insurance and driving while suspended. Bond was set at $1,050.

Comments

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

keebler1rk is a typical knee-jerk jerk that would blame the police for not chasing him if he had wrecked into someone after they had given up the chase.

skinnee11 5 years, 1 month ago

Gnome says: I wish I had such a device myself to shut down the thuggy-thuggy-bump-bump loud stereo cars since lpd won't enforce rolling noise disturbances.

Reply: Oh, Gnome! Quit being such a fuddy-duddy! Loud music is good for the soul.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

oh somebodynew, you know according to people like keeblerelf the police are at fault. kinda makes me wonder about Keebler's rapsheet.

if lpd had a helicopter then ground chase wouldn't be so necessary as opposed to interseption, stop sticks, etc.

I'm glad the constabulary gave chase this time.

in the future will be EMP-guns and the chase will last less than a block and then the perp's car's electronics turn into paperweights. boy that'll be funny.
sometimes I wish I had such a device myself to shut down the thuggy-thuggy-bump-bump loud stereo cars since lpd won't enforce rolling noise disturbances.

somebodynew 5 years, 1 month ago

@keebler1rk - "allways a great idea to chase drunks through city streets, at high speed. Can't see how anybody would possibly get hurt."

As opposed to just letting them run - at high speed - on their own and crash and hurt someone???? Because once the lights and sirens come on, if they are going to run they do and they don't stop or slow down just because the lights go out.

And how do you know that is why they are running, maybe they are not drunk and just committed a serious crime (hurt one of your family members) and are trying to get away, but are sober?? Maybe they just did the shooting in the 1300 block of N.J. (per the other story) and that call hasn't been broadcast yet???

There is a whole lot of reasons to run and the poor officer who first starts following just doesn't have that information. But I guess if it is too inconvienent for them to stop, the cops should just say OK, see ya later.

Robert Kiefer 5 years, 1 month ago

neks0104 5 years, 1 month ago

It is time for him to stay where he belongs. What is wrong with those people here? more violence, more crime, more DUI? The city needs to do something now.

kubacker 5 years, 1 month ago

This kind of put-the-cuffs-on-them crack down (see below) never takes place in Lawrence, because bars, drunks and drunk drivers are the life blood of the City of Lawrence via the liquor tax, etc.

We don't have enough cops on the street any given nite to spare 2-3 cops to take the time to arrest and physically take a bunch of drunk drivers out to the jail and process them into a cell.

The only time a Lawrence drunk driver gets taken to jail is if they do something like this idiot on Ousdahl did, or they run over and kill somebody.

"Kansas City police along with the Jackson County Traffic Safety Unit and the Missouri Highway Patrol conducted the sobriety checkpoint from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 4 a.m. today at West 39th Terrace and Southwest Trafficway.

Police stopped 969 vehicles headed north on Southwest Trafficway.

A total of 28 DUI arrests were made, along with two felony drug possession, one misdemeanor drug possession, one possession of an illegal firearm, 12 Kansas City warrants, one state charge of driving while revoked and five other traffic charges."

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

with where this started, I wondered if sven erik alstrom/cool/spiderman/ariadne/rusty2 had finally snapped!

oh well, all's well that ends well! just hope he ain't driving again for a long time! too many drunks on the road now without letting out those convicted of DUI!

maxcrabb 5 years, 1 month ago

In all seriousness, the curve directly to the north of 25th Court on Ousdahl is dangerous enough when you're going 25-30 with cars parked on the side of the road and oncoming traffic in the other lane.

I've had some southbound drivers not watching they're speed, with some surprised looks on their faces as we pass inches from each other.

So, I imagine if you are drunk or speeding at night, things don't get any easier.

cheeseburger 5 years, 1 month ago

lawrenceguy40-

I see your stupidity cup overfloweth . . . again! (Or is it 'still'?)

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Bud Stagg 5 years, 1 month ago

He'll be driving again next week. Bet he has other DUI's. If he does, then then he should not see daylight for at least a year. I don't understand how we can allow someone to get multiple DUI's? It's like letting a drunk run around with a loaded gun, eventually he/it will kill someone.

2fat4u 5 years, 1 month ago

What a douchebag! If you're going to run from the cops you better know the town well enough and be able to drive well enough to get away. The fat lady has never been caught, but they keep tryin'! At least he won't forget what he did this St. Paddy's day!

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

aww lawrenceguy40, did those big bad policemen give you a ticket recently, boobie?

gphawk89 5 years, 1 month ago

Y'all need to practice your fleeing and eluding skills a bit. I never had a problem with eluding when I was in school there. Of course, it helped to have a car that was quite a bit faster than the one in the picture. And to not drive under the influence.

lawrenceguy40 5 years, 1 month ago

Wow - what a day for LPD. They get to pose around downtown, acting like killjoy tough guys at the parade. Then they get a car chase.

The testosterone cup overfloweth at 111E 11th this morning!

50YearResident 5 years, 1 month ago

"The driver then tried to turn east on 25th Court but could not negotiate the turn, causing his car to roll over"

He would have been caught anyway as 25th Ct to the east is a dead end off Ousdahl. This is real close to the recent fatality wreck on Ousdall as well. The neighbors will be getting nervous.

kusp8 5 years, 1 month ago

But I wanna go Fast! If you ain't first you're last.

Clearly this guy was last. What a dumbarse.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

zissou (Anonymous) says…

"What speculation? He was driving under the influence and tried to run from police. I can't see what we'll need to determine."

At the time of my original post that info wasn't included with the article.

Keep watchin'..........................;-)

conservativepunker 5 years, 1 month ago

What a maroon. Yeah, if he had stopped a little trouble. Now....

ocean 5 years, 1 month ago

zoom zoom zoom he was under the influence of advertising 'the need for speed'.....oops too much booze.

gsxr600 5 years, 1 month ago

^ I like the Top Gear reference! I'm not a car expert, but that looks like a Chevy... why would you even think you could get away against a Ford police interceptor with a crap car? Maybe a sportbike or Lambo. That would do the trick.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

I thought I lived in Douglas County, not Hazard!!

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years, 1 month ago

Clearly he didn't listen closely enough to The Stig on his practice laps. You've gotta go slow to go fast!

(Seriously, I'm glad nobody aside from this jackass was hurt.)

zissou 5 years, 1 month ago

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

pretty dumb trying to run like that. I can get away I just know it Oops Ouch

consumer1 5 years, 1 month ago

One thing for sure, his name is not Bo Duke. Enjoy the grey bar motel dick weed.

hawkman8950 5 years, 1 month ago

Good thing i wasn't in that area at the tim that all happened, would have been hard for me to complete my newspaper route with no car if i was plowed into for sure. Poor S.O.B., looking forward to see what he gets coming to him.

Slowponder 5 years, 1 month ago

It's brake, then gas, turn, hit the apex, then floor it. This will allow you to get to the stop sticks waiting down the road.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

DUI with a suspended license. Good job buddy. You made a bunch of really intelligent decisions last night, didn't you?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Lucky he didn't kill someone. Bet he feels like a real idiot, not to mention every bone in his body must be hurting.

parrotuya 5 years, 1 month ago

Why do they come here? Can't this clown just drink and drive in Olathe? I guess our keystone cops could use more practice in "hot pursuit!"

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 1 month ago

I was lucky enough to see some of the that chase last night... figured the guy was dui, no surprise there...

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Couldn't outrun the radio when I was young and dumb. Looks like the same holds true............

Let the speculation begin..................