Archive for Monday, March 16, 2009

Go!

Pour the perfect beer

Several Lawrence bartenders offered their opinions on what makes "the perfect pour."

March 16, 2009

Tap into beer culture

Tuesday is St. Patrick’s Day — as good a day as any to behold a good beer. Some online sites:

www.realbeer.com The site’s motto is “What part of beer don’t you understand?” It probably has the answer with a clearinghouse of booze articles and a “beer.edu.”

mustlovebeer.com A social network for beer drinkers.

www.lawrencebrewers.org Meet up with Lawrence home brewers.

www.lawrencestpatricksdayparade.com Details on Lawrence events.

Beer drinking remains an activity often lacking in refinement, but pouring a beer requires some knowledge and subtlety.

Because a bartender who isn’t versed in the skill can often tarnish the drinking experience, we talked to several Lawrence professionals who offered their advice on the subject just in time for St. Patrick’s Day festivities.

“With our beer, they all pour a little different,” says Jesse Fitzpatrick, bartender at Free State Brewing Co., 636 Mass. “It’s an adjustment. Some are more heady, so you may have to increase or decrease the (physical) drop.”

Fitzpatrick, who has worked at the brewery since 2000, offered these steps for how to pour a draft beer:

• “Rinse the glass. That little shot of water from that rinser will get out anything that is in that glass, like sanitizer that was left behind. It’s important to not have that in the beer. It also helps with the lacing, and that is what helps us pour the beer head.”

• “You open the tap all the way, quickly.”

• “Then we drop the glass down about halfway to three quarters of the way — that way a nice head will form.”

Fitzpatrick says at the restaurant there is typically more pressure in the lines at the beginning of the day, which can make pouring problematic. But the biggest bane to consistency is when things get inordinately busy.

“Ideally, you don’t get in a hurry and make a mess of it,” he says.

When it comes to the correct form for serving from a bottle, Ann Turner says the concept is similar.

“You’re dealing with the same principle, whether it’s from tap or bottle,” says Turner, a bartender at Teller’s, 746 Mass.

“You want to be hitting the side of the glass and let it flow down, rather than hitting the bottom of the glass, because that causes way too much head.”

She says certain types of bottled beer (stouts, for instance) require alternate methods.

“If you want to pour a proper Guinness, you have to fill it halfway, then let the head settle,” she says.

So when these bartenders order a beer at another establishment, are they hypercritical of their counterparts’ pouring skills?

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Fitzpatrick says. “I’m just grateful I’m getting the beer.”

Turner admits, “I’ve bartended for five years, but I don’t actually drink beer.”

Comments

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 5 months ago

I know this isn't related to the story but, why is LJ-World advertising Scientology's Dianetics.org website?!?

Is LJ-World unaware of their activities?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

My favorite beer is cold, hot is my second favorite. Hell, pour it however you want to.... it is all good. .

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

"but, why is LJ-World advertising Scientology's Dianetics.org website?!?"

Do you think money has anything to do with it?

maxcrabb 5 years, 5 months ago

Hmm... Monday. Free State Brewery. Beer.

$1.75 draws!

I know where I'll be tonight.

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

Marion, I'm reading a fun book right now called "Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer" by Maureen Ogle. It's a very interesting read about the Germans who came to Milwaukee, St. Louis, and other places to start their breweries. You might enjoy it!

monkeyspunk 5 years, 5 months ago

This article just reminded me of the jug of Free State stout sitting in my fridge at home... My god I am thirsty.

flux 5 years, 5 months ago

Lets not over think the situation. Give me a clean glass and go away.

flux 5 years, 5 months ago

Please....Marion probably drinks two beers a year and tomorrow will be one of them.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

You know that full feeling you get when you drink cheap American bottled or canned beer?”

Nope, but after drinking a couple beers, and a few refills I sure get shmarter.

Clickker 5 years, 5 months ago

Anheuser Busch in St. Louis was a customer of mine, and when I took the buyers out to dinner, they would return the beer if it had the residue on the glass like Marion pointed out. Also, they said the way to pour a beer was straight into the glass, NOT INTO THE SIDE OF A TILTED GLASS!! That way the beer could breathe out. I am surprised at some of these bartenders who do not know better.

Mixolydian 5 years, 5 months ago

KansasPerson (Anonymous) says…

Marion, I'm reading a fun book right now called “Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer” by Maureen Ogle. It's a very interesting read about the Germans who came to Milwaukee, St. Louis, and other places to start their breweries. You might enjoy it!

I read that book awhile back and it is, as they say, a thumping good read. The author has a blog and she readily responds to questions about the research into the book.

Highly recommended for any zymurgist.