Archive for Sunday, March 15, 2009

Police: Arrest made after pit bull threat

March 15, 2009

Police sent a Lawrence man to jail early Saturday morning after he threatened to sic his pit bull on three officers, broke out the rear window of a police car and attempted to flee custody, police said.

Lawrence police Sgt. Michael McLaren said officers were dispatched to the 600 block of Folks Road at 2:28 a.m. Saturday regarding a domestic dispute.

Witnesses nearby could hear a loud verbal argument and things being thrown around inside the residence, he said.

When officers arrived, a 30-year-old Lawrence man who lived at the residence began threatening officers with his dog. McLaren said another resident in the building held the dog back and prevented it from attacking officers.

Officers placed the man under arrest and put him in the back of a squad car. He then attempted to flee by breaking out a rear window but was unable to escape, McLaren said.

The man was booked into jail on three counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, criminal damage to property, obstruction of legal process and escape from custody. His bail was set at $90,000.

A 61-year-old Lawrence woman was also arrested at the scene. She grabbed one of the officers and tried to prevent them from investigating the residence.

She was arrested on charges of battery on a law enforcement officer and obstruction of legal process. Bond was set at $2,500.

Comments

triplegoddess13 5 years, 1 month ago

gnome-I was discussing the article, not your instance.

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

I know exactly what I am talking about, my personal opinion.

I don’t understand why people keep most dogs. Unless they are working for you in some capacity, (hunting dogs, herd dogs, ect.) why one would feed a dirty animal that lives their house and craps in the yard and barks incessantly is beyond me.

I wouldn’t raise an animal unless it was working for me or I could eat it.

I would also like to sit in my back yard without listing to 3-5 dogs barking constantly because their owners bought them as cute puppies and now don’t want to entertain them.

As for pit bulls and all dog owners maybe they should have to carry liability insurance on their pets.

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone remember what the article was about?

Roland Gunslinger 5 years, 1 month ago

Rooster-

I did not say my stance on the pitbull breed- whether or not they should have to be registered or not.

I was just stating the facts of a study I came across. Please don't presume to know my opinion or whether or not I know what I am talking about. I only passed on relevant information of a scientific study; I did not add in my opinion anywhere.

rooster 5 years, 1 month ago

Arumer/Vertigo have no idea what they are talking about.

Vertigo, The pit bull is the #1 most popular and overbred dog in the usa. You can't fault the dog for being sought after by americas dumbest dog owners.

Arumer, It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current (December 2004) passing rate of 83.9% -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population. Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. (Please visit ATTS.org)

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

Pretty much any animal will attack anyone if its owner is in danger or in need of protecting. It has nothing to do with the breed of dog or even the species of the animal. Mothers do much the same thing with their children.

---wrong.
in my case the little ankel biter left his yard and went out to challenge my [larger] dog.

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

That being said, Dalmatians are pretty vicious dogs I knew someone who had their face practically bitten off by one.

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

There are plenty of pit bull attacks by “nice” dogs, they just snap and kill somebody. Then the owner is dumbfounded. They think they knew their dog. News flash: dogs are animals they are unpredictable. They should be outlawed at least inside city limits.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

We just need enforcer here to complete the doggy crusade set.

Roland Gunslinger 5 years, 1 month ago

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

Just thought some facts should be thrown in the with opinions.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

Note to self:

Add "MacHeath" to list of arrogant, ignorant and stupid people.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 1 month ago

Pit Bulls don't attack people.. PEOPLE attack people.. ;-)

MacHeath 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah Marion, i bet that vein in your neck is really throbbing! Congrats to edjayhawk and beobachter! Marion raises wolf-dogs btw, which are even more unpredictable that pit bulls.
come on Marion, that vein is gonna blow any day now!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…

my God, for a minute there, with obsessive posting, I thought Marion Sydney Lynn was channeling Merrill."

Marion writes:

Naw, arrogant, ignorant and stupid people like edjayhawk and beobachter just p*ss me off.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 1 month ago

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

I have suffered one serious dog bite in my life, required several stitches, one helluva lot of pain! no, it wasn't inflicted by a PB. it was one of the ankel-biter varieties. my dog almost killed it though. it never attacked again.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, Lordy, Lordy!

More children near dangerous dogs!

Whatever shall we do?:

edjayhawk and beobachter!

Save us!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, My God!

(Get out of the way please!)

The humanity and all the passengers!

"Pit Bulls" near children!:

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

War Hero "Pit Bull":

"The Yanks Are coming!:

Helen Keller and her deadly "Pit Bull", Sir Thomas:

Famous "Pit Bulls":

Germans Called US Marines "Devil Dogs"..

..check the mutt in the poster!:

Oops!.....buncha dogs but look at which dog is highlighted!:

edjayhawk and beobachter do what again?..........

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

Find the "Pit Bull":

"Pit Bull" Saves lives:

(Warning: Graphic Images!)

"Pit Bull" Saves People From Fire:

"Pit Bull" stops Child Abduction:

"Pit Bull" Takes Bullets For Family!:

"edjayhawk (Anonymous) says…

Pitbulls owners should be required to register their dogs just like people who purchase guns have to. The owners then would have a waiting period while a background check is conducted on the owner. Lastly, the dog would need to be checked for unusual aggressiveness."

Marion writes:

edjayhawk (Anonymous) does......

edjayhawk (Anonymous) does.......

"beobachter (Anonymous) says…

"Otherwise the scum that own pit bulls....."

Marion writes:

Beobachter saves.......

Beobachter does........

Marion writes:

Well, surely, both edjayhawk and beobachter do something of social worth.

Help me out here because the "Pit Bulls" are running way ahead of both of them!

Woof!

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

beo - I would amend that to "owner would be subjected to injuries equivalent to those victim received up to and including death". Our court system would of course need to prove "owner negligence or intent to train said canine for attack purposes."

(I still watch that chihuahua with a wary eye) >;-/

beobachter 5 years, 1 month ago

RoeDapple, simple solution. If dog attacks and causes serious injury, then dog should be put down. In that case, since owner is responsible for dog, put owner down as well. Then there will be no repeat offenders. Otherwise the scum that own pit bulls will simply get another pit bull and cycle repeats.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

(1.)_owners should be required to register their (2.)__ just like people who purchase (3.)__ should have to. The owners then would have a waiting period of (4.)__ days while a background check is conducted on the owner. Lastly, the (5.)_ would need to be checked for (6.)___ before final approval. Fear not, your government is here to protect you. No need to think for yourself, your government will take care of all your needs.

Fill in all blanks and sign below or form will be rejected.

Signed___date__

Forward to nearest appropriate government agency. Please allow 8 to 10 months for response

edjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

You missed my point. Good night and good luck.

rooster 5 years, 1 month ago

EDJAYHAWK:

You are the weakest link.

I guess ignorance is bliss though.

pace 5 years, 1 month ago

where in the world did you think that guns had to be registered? On tv?

REGISTRATION Are all guns registered with law enforcement? No

No state requirement that gun owners register their firearms. Police do not know how many guns are in the state or where they are. The lack of registration data makes it more difficult for police to trace guns used in crime, identify illegal gun traffickers or hold gun owners accountable for their weapons. There is no state system to automatically identify and disarm felons and other prohibited people who bought guns legally in the past, but later committed a crime or otherwise became ineligible to keep possession of their firearms.

Return to the Menu LICENSE OR PERMIT TO PURCHASE Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? No

No state requirement that handgun buyers obtain a handgun license or undergo any type of safety training prior to buying a handgun.

Pink_Sock 5 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering if sic was really a word, but it's in websters online dictionary. Lol at the definition of tweak. It describes a tweaker but that word isn't listed.....

edjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"Nowhere in the article does it mention that the dog was a problem…only the owner."

At the same time, the OWNER of the dog considered the dog dangerous; hence the threat of sicing the dog on the officers. You say the dog is not a problem, yet the owner seems to think that the dog had the potential to do harm. Find me an article where someone did that with any other breed, even a larger breed such as a german sheperd used by law enforcement.

Drew_Carey 5 years, 1 month ago

50 pts to autie for tweaking Eudora.

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

tweaker might be a better choice..??

beobachter 5 years, 1 month ago

Sadder yet is the “scumbag and nincompoops” won't understand the point being made.

Drew_Carey 5 years, 1 month ago

5000 pts to Icomiclast for protecting our readers with mental disabilities while at the same time, hurting the feelings of far more readers who fall under the labels "scumbag and nincompoops" in the same comment. \o/

This could be a Most Points Awarded contender.

beobachter 5 years, 1 month ago

It appears the dog was the only smart animal there. Definitely the Mama and her little angel were lacking in common sense.

Icomiclast 5 years, 1 month ago

Please. please don't use the word "retard" as an insult. I know many fine folks with mental disabilities, and the use of that word hurts many good people's feelings. I understand it's an easy word to use, and it's a part of our culture, but that word has real power to hurt, and it's easily replaced with other words. ("Scumbag" comes to mind.) Please find another word for the nincompoops of the world. Thanks.

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps the story stated that the dog was a pit bull because it was a pit bull. It was a detail that people would want to know. If the weapon had been a gun they may have told us it was a rifle as opposed to a hand gun. I didn't read anything in the article that condemned the dog. It was not until I read PitBullGrandma's comment that I even thought the dog would be considered as the problem.

Rabbitgoesthump 5 years, 1 month ago

Its sad that retards get pitbulls and encourage them to be mean....

I have met many many sweet loving pitbulls, I have a 75 pounds akita who is about as mean as a baby bunny...

But this is going to sound really sad, I have been attacked by a dog before and seriously, this vicious mean dog was a dachsund :(

I hope the pitbull is rehomed to a loving family...

mablehazel 5 years, 1 month ago

It is sad that a person would use an animal this way. I also think that it is sad that the paper wishes to single out the animal in the article title.

Animals don't necessarily get to choose their owners. I agree with PitBullGrandma and RoeDapple. Animals seem to reflect the personalities of their owners and how their owners train/treat them. I'm sure that animal in a different situation over time the dog would change dispositions. It will have traces of the stupidity of the owner that got arrested but eventually with the right care could be a different dog.

edjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

The other thing to consider is that an attack by a pittbull is much more lethal then most other breeds.

edjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Dangerous pitbulls are from criminal owners. I think the LJW was trying to emphasize that these dogs are being used as attack weapons. The dog should be put down because it is vicious.

womanwarrior 5 years, 1 month ago

Phogfan86 (Anonymous) says… Why are these two losers' names not included in the article?

The LJW does not give names until they are formally charged with a crime in court, not just booked into jail for a crime. They won't be formally charged until next week during court business hours.

Fatty_McButterpants 5 years, 1 month ago

Roe: if the media were to start hyping all of the people that get bitten by non-bully breeds, that would mean that all the finger pointers might have to start pointing the finger at their own precious labs, boxers, etc.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

PitBullGrandma, I don't see anything negative in any responses about pit bulls, maybe you are referring to the article casting the dog as the bad boy. I have known pit owners whose dog their small children could roll on the floor with. I've seen chihuahua that would eat your face for sitting in the dogs favorite chair. Most people, I think understand it's the owner that makes bad dogs. Good luck convincing the media. They are in the business of selling news. The more something like this gets responded to, the more they think "sales".

EarthaKitt 5 years, 1 month ago

What are you talking about? Everybody knows there's no meth west of Massacusetts.

; )

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

and no mention of the meth? sounds like a meth thing to me.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 1 month ago

Why are these two losers' names not included in the article?

rooster 5 years, 1 month ago

What really does the "PITBULL" have to do with this situation?? The story would be the same if the dog was a boxer or a lab but I can assure you the dogs breed would not have been in the title of the article. Shame on the writer for trying to pump up his article with propaganda.

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 1 month ago

People dont need mean dogs...they need to change their friends.

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

I didn't say the dog was the problem. The dog is smarter than the owner. But, do you want this idiot to keep the dog and make it mean?

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 1 month ago

OK...one more time. Pay attention to the story here. The OWNER of the dog is threatening the police...not the dog. Nowhere in the article does it mention that the dog was a problem...only the owner. The dog, as usual, appears to be smarter than the owner. The dog should be removed from this home as it is not a safe place to be with a moron like this at the helm.

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like a lovely family! Sieze the dog, arrest the old bat and club junior like a baby seal!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

90,000 bail.... that should do it ....