Archive for Friday, March 13, 2009

Train collides with car northeast of Lawrence

A freight train collided with a 1995 Ford Explorer early Friday morning northeast of Lawrence.

March 13, 2009, 5:12 a.m. Updated March 13, 2009, 5:47 a.m.

A freight train collided with a 1995 Ford Explorer early Friday, just northeast of North Lawrence.

The driver said she suffered minor neck pains from the collision, which occurred about 2:44 a.m. near 1685 E. 1600 Road, but she declined medical attention at the scene.

Sgt. Blake McCall of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said officers took her to Lawrence Memorial Hospital to evaluate her condition and determine whether alcohol was involved in the accident.

“It sounds like the gates were down and she tried to go around,” McCall said.

The driver then reportedly came to a stop on the tracks.

The eastbound train, which was pulling more than 100 cars, struck the SUV, which was headed north.

The train came to a stop and didn’t begin moving again until the intersection was cleared at 5:12 a.m.

McCall said accidents between trains and cars weren’t uncommon at that intersection. He said he had been dispatched to at least five similar accidents there in his 22-year tenure with the sheriff’s office.

Comments

redmoonrising 5 years, 4 months ago

For the life of me, I will never understand why someone would try to drive around the gates at a train crossing. Where I grew up there were lots of train crossings and when the lights were flashing or the arms came down, you stopped. About every year or two someone was killed trying to beat a train. Even if you think you have enough time, you could get stuck or just not make it around. Those gates are put there for a purpose. Better late than never getting anywhere at all again. I'm glad this lady wasn't injured worse than she was.

introversion 5 years, 4 months ago

Thats really weird, cuz where I grew up, there were ramps on either side of the tracks, and you were s'posed to actually jump your car over the train, and land on the ramp on the other side... If there were no ramps at this particular intersection, I find it totally understandable that the driver may have attempted to find something equally dangerous to do... at least thats what I would have done.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 4 months ago

A person can be drunk and suicidal at the same time.

EarthaKitt 5 years, 4 months ago

You've blown your cover Introversion -- or shall we call you Starsky.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

introversion (Anonymous) says…

"Thats really weird, cuz where I grew up, there were ramps on either side of the tracks, and you were s'posed to actually jump your car over the train, and land on the ramp on the other side…"

Bah, amateur. Where I grew up they had low ramps, and you were supposed to jump your car Through the double set of open doors in the larger cargo boxes and land safely on the ramp on the other side.

/driving around train barriers = moron = attempted Darwin Award

bevy 5 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking more of Bo and/or Luke Duke. Don't forget to yell "yeeeee-hawww" when you jump it.

Hope this lady appreciates the miracle of her survival. My heart goes out to the engineer and the train crew. Ye Gods! How awful this must be for them!

loloen 5 years, 4 months ago

Best comments EVAR. Thanks guys.

Confrontation 5 years, 4 months ago

I wonder how many of these are truly stupid "accidents," and how many are suicide attempts.

Angela Heili 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree with redmoonrising. I just can not understand why people go around the arms. I've personally seen people do that when I have approached a train and it absolutely amazes me the lack of common sense it takes to do such a thing.

I also agree with wysiwyg69 and Boston_Corbett. It's these types that end up leaving the gene pool, or at the very least are injured because of a short coming in the "brains" department.

A friend of mine said it well...."The gene pool needs a little chlorine!"

riverdrifter 5 years, 4 months ago

Locomotive engineers are like blackjack dealers. They take all ties.

KansasVoter 5 years, 4 months ago

I was watching a show on trains on the History Channel last night and they had a statistic that said that there's a train-automobile accident every 90 minutes in America. Kinda strange that there was one in the area last night.

FatTony 5 years, 4 months ago

Riverdrifter - "Locomotive engineers are like blackjack dealers. They take all ties."

I don't know where you play blackjack but actually ties are a push and they hit on 16. But hey if you want to play your way I will be the dealer.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Not a good week for suicide attempts, I guess. If getting by a train or going over Niagra Falls isn't going to do the job, maybe it's time to up the Prozac cuz suicide isn't your strong suit.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 4 months ago

Wouldn't you have to be drunk to decline medical attention after being hit by a freaking train?

riverdrifter 5 years, 4 months ago

Fat Tony I stand corrected but don't meet me at the crossing. "Bell & whistle, bell & whistle."

danemary 5 years, 4 months ago

I have watched the "video" 15 times and still see only lights and darkness. Not even a comment! Journalism at it's best?

Dayle Hodges 5 years, 4 months ago

Yeah; I loved the video too......