Archive for Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Couple report being hit by van

March 10, 2009

A couple was hit by a van last Thursday after a dispute with the driver over a can of beer, police said.

It all started when a man said he saw the van driver throw a can of beer into an open field beside his house in the 100 block of Perry Street, police said.

When the man approached the driver, asking him to pick up the beer can, they got into an argument. The victim said the driver backed up and hit him in the right leg, but didn’t injure him.

As the van was leaving the scene, the victim’s wife came outside and was struck by the van on the right knee, police said.

Police are still looking for the driver of the van.

Comments

HermioneElliott 5 years, 4 months ago

I would be willing to bet the driver was drunk and did not realize he hit the two people. I don't think it is wise to play parent to the world and confront strangers demanding that they live according to your code of conduct.

woxy 5 years, 4 months ago

A small bit of headline proofreading here ... "couple" is singular. Therefore, Couple report[s], not Couple report.

kmat 5 years, 4 months ago

He wasn't asking them to live according to his code of conduct. The drunk jerk in the van was littering, which is against the law. This address has to be in the trailer court by the river. I'd get pretty sick of having jerks throw trash out of their car too.

I live in a different part of town north of the river. I actually ran after a couple of girls last year who walked by my house, threw their trash in my yard, right next to my husband who was doing yardwork. When I caught up to them with the trash in hand, I was cussed out by the teen girls and then they took off with the trash. Obviously some parents have been doing a great job raising them.

When you see someone throwing trash around, you're supposed to just shut up? Whatever. I would have confronted the jerk too. Only after he hit me with his van, I would have gotten in my car, called the cops and chased him down. That hit and run charge would have been much better than littering.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if alcohol was involved?

kmat 5 years, 4 months ago

logic - small trailer court. Take a walk on the river trail back there and you'll understand.

Raider 5 years, 4 months ago

I'd also be willing to bet this van didn't really hit anyone. If he did, maybe he hit ONE of them, but not two. Perhaps someone's trying to get a little extra insurance money? Something's not all right with this story.