Archive for Saturday, March 7, 2009

Police arrest man for rape, aggravated burglary

March 7, 2009, 3:50 a.m. Updated March 7, 2009, 6:44 a.m.

Lawrence police are investigating a reported rape in the 2300 block of West 26th Street.

Sgt. Ted Bordman said officers arrested a Lawrence man, 26, Saturday morning in the 900 block of East 15th Street on charges of rape, aggravated burglary and intimidation of a victim.

Emergency dispatchers sent police to the scene at 3:05 a.m. Saturday. The victim alleged that the suspect, an ex-boyfriend, threw her to the ground and began trying to remove her clothing.

She declined medical treatment after the incident, Bordman said.

Officers are still investigating the incident. No further details were available Saturday.

The Journal-World generally does not name suspects of sex crimes unless there is a conviction.

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how many of these crimes don't ever get reported?

redmoonrising 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder why twice already in today's articles, the victim has denied medical treatment. Are they saying they didn't have any? Seems to me an improper choice of words that I have noticed several times lately. Deny and decline are two very different things in my point of view.

Deny( maybe there is some validity in definition 3b. or 4). 1: to declare untrue 2: to refuse to admit or acknowledge : disavow 3 a: to give a negative answer to b: to refuse to grant c: to restrain (oneself) from gratification of desires 4archaic : decline 5: to refuse to accept the existence, truth, or validity of

So are they saying that the vicitim is declaring that it is untrue that they received treatment or that they deny receiving treatment? Seems like someone is tired of the old semantics and trying to come up with something new by using the archaic. Or maybe I just don't have anything else to b*tch about today.

CrystalKU 5 years, 5 months ago

Funny, I didn't even notice it said "denied" I just skimmed over it and read it as declined. That is strange...I wonder if it is a typo? I can see if they were reporting a crime after the fact how "denied recieving medical treatment" would be appropriate, but the wording it doesn't work right in this scenario.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Good looking out, Redmoon. I missed that denied part.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Looks like it was a busy night for LPD> Rapes, assaults, high speed chases, all in a day's work.

awhatha 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm looking at it right now and it definitely say declined and not denied