Archive for Saturday, March 7, 2009

Man arrested after high-speed chase through Lawrence

March 7, 2009, 1:47 a.m. Updated March 7, 2009, 6:54 a.m.

Lawrence police arrested a man after he led officers on a chase through Lawrence that reached speeds in excess of 90 miles per hour.

Officers initially observed the 41-year-old Lawrence man driving his silver 2004 GMC pickup erratically near Sixth and Kentucky streets. He then led police into North Lawrence at 12:42 a.m. Saturday, driving east on Locust Street at a high rate of speed.

After winding through the neighborhood and striking a fence near Seventh and Walnut streets, he returned to Sixth Street and turned north on McDonald Drive toward Interstate 70. Two officers were in direct pursuit of the vehicle.

He then turned left on Second Street and right onto North Iowa Street. He continued northbound until West Lakeview Road.

While the driver was speeding on West Lakeview Road along the city’s northern edge, Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman disengaged the pursuit because of high speeds. The driver then turned south on North Kasold Drive.

“It looked like he was heading back into the city. We started the pursuit again and we hit him with the stop sticks,” Bordman said.

The stop sticks were deployed at a roundabout just north of Peterson Road, blowing out three of the car’s tires, Bordman said.

The man was arrested at 12:52 a.m. on charges of operating under the influence, reckless driving, driving with a revoked license and attempting to elude officers.

Comments

fatheadff 5 years, 9 months ago

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

good job LPD....I hope they keep this guy in jail. Sounds like he (revoked license) has history of being an idiot. .

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 9 months ago

Everytime I drive on 31st near the Target store I remember the woman who was broadsided there and killed by a driver trying to elude police. I always feel a sadness for that woman and a bit of anger. Though I did not know her, I cannot forget that senseless tragedy.

We need to be as tough as is humanely possible on these folks who threaten the lives of innocent people with their reckless and selfish driving. We need to be as harsh as we possibly can or there is no justice.

redmoonrising 5 years, 9 months ago

Amazing isn't it that idiots who have a revoked license still go out drinking and drive? They know they've done something wrong or they wouldn't run. The sad part is, it is usually the other guy who gets injured or killed by their stupidity. Great job LPD!

Janet Lowther 5 years, 9 months ago

The fact is, a license to drive does not grant the ability to drive. And the loss thereof does not deprive a person of that ability.

The license is just a state endorsement of a person's ability, and a means of tracking people who violate the rules.

There are certain irresponsible people who will drive whether or not they have a license, insurance or any other perquisite.

Some not so irresponsible people too, like otherwise responsible peoople who have immigrated to this country without the government's permission, because the government denies them the ability to obtain a license and insurance.

nobody1793 5 years, 9 months ago

"The right to travel is a natural right."

How do you figure?

UpperLawrence 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't know about a "right to travel" but there is not a right to drive.

somebodynew 5 years, 9 months ago

@jrlii (Anonymous) - I don't think I have been taken aback by much of what you have said before - but this one I just have to say something on.

"The right to travel is a natural right. The right to work is a natural right. The immigration laws of this country violate both, and are therefore immoral, and should be repealed."

I am not sure what planet you are living on, but I think if you check all countrys have some form of laws about who can come and go into their country. And I am not sure how either of these things are a "natural right".

maxcrabb 5 years, 9 months ago

I think jrlii is going along the lines of "property is theft". Meaning, the earth doesn't belong to us.

Not that I believe in that sort of thing... not at all.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

thanks Somebodynew...what you said.

now back from the hijacking of this thread:

I'm glad nobody got hurt, good job LPD! wouldn't it be cool to have an EMP-gun and you aim it at a fleeing suspect and fry all the electronics in his car/engine, dead stop? no more pursuits, ever.

Hoots 5 years, 9 months ago

In a few places once they take your license they also take your wheels until you have the right to use them again. Bet this guy gets his truck back in less than a week. Funny thing is they'd never give his gun back if he used it to threaten people yet he'll get back his 6000 pound weapon.