Archive for Saturday, March 7, 2009

It’s breasts, not bombs, at nuke protest

March 7, 2009

— Activists in Paraguay are showing a little skin for world peace.

About 100 women disrobed Friday in a square in downtown Asuncion to protest nuclear weapons.

Demonstrator Carola Gonzalez said the Humanist Party activists decided to strip for their cause since “the public and the news media pay so much attention to breasts and bottoms.”

Many went topless, with their chests colorfully painted with slogans, images of the Earth and radioactivity symbols.

Organizers said they hoped to raise awareness about the thousands of nuclear warheads threatening the planet, about half them in the hands of the U.S.

Some 20 police officers — and a crowd of onlookers — monitored the protest.

Comments

HermioneElliott 5 years, 9 months ago

Vulgarity is vulgarity no matter what motive you claim for doing it. Is this really going to make anyone go online and start doing in depth research on nuclear warheads? I am very proud to be an American and I don't know whether to be insulted, bewildered or laugh at the ways people can find to insult us. "...half them in the hands of the U.S." This is as crazy as some of the stunts the PETA group have pulled.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 9 months ago

"Is this really going to make anyone go online and start doing in depth research on nuclear warheads?"

Probably not you-- you seem quite comfortable in your ignorance.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

I am very proud to be an American and I don't know whether to be insulted, bewildered or laugh at the ways people can find to insult us...

Hey herm--We can be proud Americans, and still enjoy a chuckle. "Some 20 police officers — and a crowd of onlookers — monitored the protest"

Newell_Post 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't believe this story. I need photographic evidence to convince me this really happened.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 9 months ago

Well, the comment wasn't directed exclusively at her, 75-- you've consistently exhibited a considerable comfort level yourself.

Harpo 5 years, 9 months ago

Was this a spontaneous protest, or a "tit for tat" response to some pro-nuclear weapons demonstration?

In the interest of thorough journalism, I join Newell in calling on the LJW for visual evidence!

(my contribution to the childishness :)

lwctown 5 years, 9 months ago

rollcar 5 years, 9 months ago

So you're saying all I have to do is acquire a nuclear weapon? If only I'd known this 20 years ago!

Christine Anderson 5 years, 9 months ago

Since some of us are calling each other childish, and others say this protest is vulgar, I'll be both. Considering the shape of nuclear missles, I feel the men should have exposed their....WARHEADS!