Archive for Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Four injured, including a child taken by helicopter to KC-area hospital, after two-car accident on Sixth Street

One child was taken by helicopter ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital after a two-vehicle accident near the intersection of Sixth and Eldridge streets in west Lawrence Tuesday afternoon.

March 3, 2009, 4:26 p.m. Updated March 3, 2009, 4:59 p.m.

Google Map

Sixth and Eldridge streets

View Larger Map

A 12-year-old child was flown to a Kansas City area hospital Tuesday after a two-vehicle wreck near Sixth and Eldridge streets in west Lawrence.

The 4:15 p.m. accident reduced Sixth Street traffic to one lane each direction. Lawrence police were still investigating the cause of the wreck.

A Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical supervisor said two people were taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and a third person was treated at the scene.

The 12-year-old patient suffered the most serious injuries.

“It’s serious enough we needed to fly the patient to a trauma center,” Division Chief Joe Hoelscher said.

A Toyota car sustained severe damage on the passenger side, and its rear also struck a streetlight. Westar Energy workers examined a broken power line to the streetlight.

A sport-utility vehicle also sustained damage.

Comments

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 2 months ago

No worries. Probably just another broken rib.

ThoughtPonderer 6 years, 2 months ago

What a flippant remark! It is better to be safe than sorry.

ljpppp 6 years, 2 months ago

How do you know its a child? Do you have any more details?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

I've never seen accident victims referred to as "patients" before-- at least not until they are admitted to a hospital.

flux 6 years, 2 months ago

There you go again woodenfleaeater......you are so inconsiderate

kusp8 6 years, 2 months ago

LJWorld can we get a mapquest or google map with the intersection?

Janis Pool 6 years, 2 months ago

Helicopter was here and gone in less than 5 minutes. With that kind of effiency someone will be better for it. Thanks to our men and women who work in the emergency fields. Prayers to the families.

roggy 6 years, 2 months ago

I was driving on 6th when two police cars flew by me, truly the fastest I have ever seen on a Lawrence street. I drove past the accident just as the second officer reached the car. It was a small to medium sized car and the front passenger door was completely smashed in. I'm assuming the child was in that seat but everyone in the car could easily have been severely injured. My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

That is an awful intersection, especially this time of day. Turning left onto 6th there is nearly impossible and turning left onto Eldridge there is too.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

roggy, I thought I saw a red car and a beige SUV. Is that what you saw?

spankyandcranky 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm wondering why they flew the child to KC, but took the adults to Lawrence Memorial?

Freestater456 6 years, 2 months ago

spanky i dont know for sure but if i had to guess i would say it is because the child is more seriously injured. Also the child could possibly have been taken to childrens mercy. Just speculation not fact.

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

spanky - just guessing, but Children'sMercy is in KC and they do wonders with injured kids. Plus the adults may not have had serious injuries.

doggymom 6 years, 2 months ago

The cars involved ended up on the NW corner of 6th at Eldridge. It's difficult to tell the direction either car was originally going. And, yes, it is a beige SUV and a small dark red car. Neither have been towed yet; in fact two tow trucks were sent away. The police invesigation unit is still on the scene, very meticulously taking measurements, which indicates - in my mind anyhow - that the victims were injured pretty severely.

Sixth St is only closed in the northernmost westbound lane now; all other lanes are open. Eldridge is closed southbound but traffic can turn in to the connecting road toward HyVee.

This is an awful intersection. I live on the south end of Eldridge which has no outlet. Even making a right turn is dangerous but there isn't enough traffic to warrant a light. Flashing lights and/or signs indicating a dangerous intersection would be appropriate though.

I certainly hope the injured child was NOT in the front seat and was restrained properly in the back. Prayers for all those involved in the accident.

roggy 6 years, 2 months ago

alm77- yes, the cars I saw were a small maroon car and a tan SUV. I knew from the speed of the police cars that it must have been serious. The first one passed me just past Kasold and the next one just before I reached Hy-Vee. I was headed west and the cars didn't look that bad until I looked in my rearview and saw the side of the maroon car. There was at least one child standing outside the cars but for all I know they weren't involved. The cars were at a very odd angle and I have no idea how they ended up where they did or from which direction either was coming.

storm 6 years, 2 months ago

That intersection is used as a bus stop and needs pedestrian markings in addition to a left turn lane on eastbound 6th street on Eldridge. Or at the very least, flashing lights.

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

Judging from the damage apparent on both vehicles, I'll keep my SUV. The difference in gas mileage is worth the extra protection.

maxcrabb 6 years, 2 months ago

Either the tow trucks jumped the gun and the police were not done investigating the scene, or....

they were predatory towers trying to exploit a tragedy for money... (highly doubtful)

Hoots 6 years, 2 months ago

I see too many close calls at that intersection. It is bad when people are stopped in the road trying to turn left and worse sometimes when people get impatient and try to get out on 6th with little margin for error. They really do need a turn lane. If I lived in that area I would use Monterey Way of Folks Road to get out. At least that way you have the protection of a stop light.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

tow trucks are called by police to accidents on a rotating basis so if some showed up they came before they where called or they just wanted to try and cash in on the accident. They can get in trouble for this but i think the police had other things on their minds.

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

There are a lot of scary intersections on 6th as well as private drives to churches, businesses and apartment complexes. I often wonder how some of those people ever get turned onto 6th at heavy traffic times.

I sincerely hope that all involved in this accident make a complete recovery.

Elizabeth Peters 6 years, 2 months ago

For those who posted caring comments of concern: The mother and 2 children in the red car will be alright.
For those who posted speculative comments that were false and without an any basis I have nothing for you and understand I am being kind to leave it at that.

I do not know about the driver of the SUV and my hopes are they are alright as well.

The boy transported to Children’s Mercy did have a head injury and the father who was not in the accident followed by car to be with him. Luckily the Hospital checked him out thoroughly and it was only a concussion he can recover from with no permanent brain damage. After staples to repair his head injury the family is told he will be ok. Mother and daughter were checked and released from LMH. Thanks to those who read this and are sensitive enough to know that accidents happen in an instant even with the utmost care and cautious driving.

KURocks 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey woddenfleaeater:

The child flown to KC suffered from massive bleeding. You should not make stupid comments you know nothing about. It's my understanding that the kids were not wearing seatbelts. This is one instance where that probably saved their lives.

Raider 6 years, 2 months ago

Why does it seem that lately (the past 6 mos or so) that nearly EVERY accident in Lawrence has to have the helicopter flown in? Is LMH not equipped to handle accidents? If not, then perhaps someone should look at upgrading our medical facilities. Or is this a ploy by the powers that be to get a chopper stationed at the Lawrence air field full time? I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

accidents? If not, then perhaps someone should look at upgrading our medical facilities. Or is this a ploy by the powers that be to get a chopper stationed at the Lawrence air field full time? I'm not sayin… I'm just sayin.

---Raider

uh, the lifeflight or whatever its called is already stationed there.

conspiracy theories...sheeeeeeesh.