Sports

Sports

Self comments on Henry situation

Carl Henry says sons might still choose Kentucky

Tuesday reports indicated that Xavier and C.J. Henry were again unsure about their college choice.

June 30, 2009, 2:35 p.m. Updated June 30, 2009, 4:29 p.m.

Kansas University basketballl coach Bill Self today commented to the Journal-World on reports that Xavier Henry and C.J. Henry were having second thoughts about attending KU and still might attend Kentucky.

"I'm still looking into this," Self said, acknowledging the Henry family was upset about a weekend story in the Kansas City Star that the Henrys felt portrayed the family in a negative light.

"I am ready for the finality of it (on where Henrys are going to school). I believe that will occur very soon," Self added.

Rivals.com and 610 radio quoted Carl Henry, father of the Henrys, as saying the family would hold a meeting today in Oklahoma City. Rivals said that Self and assistant Danny Manning would be traveling to OKC tonight. Self this afternoon said he was on his way back to his office from a function in KC and did not confirm whether a trip to OKC was in the works.

Self said because of the "article and blogs and people commenting on the article, the family is very upset and concerned about how they'd be treated in Lawrence."

While expressing anger at the article, Carl Henry said in an interview with 610 radio that his son, Xavier, actually has stayed in touch with incoming Kentucky freshmen John Wall and Daniel Orton and recently told Carl he might want to switch his allegiance to UK.

"A couple weeks ago, my youngest son (Xavier) tells me he wanted to go to Kentucky. Said he's thinking about it," Carl told the station. "He keeps in touch with John Wall and Daniel Orton. They are good friends. What happened is those guys get to talking to him, they could probably change his mind. Actually that's what happened. I was talking to Xavier. I'm telling him, 'Hey, man, I know those are your friends, you can't change just like that. You already gave a commitment. You already said you were coming. Now all of a sudden you dont want to come any more? Just because your friends said, "Hey, this (Kentucky) will be a great place?"'"

Self said the Henrys gave their word they were coming to KU and thus he is "past the point of being concerned with (their) recruiting. Either they are coming or not coming. There's no reason for fans or people who support the university to be concerned. They gave us their word they are coming. If an article keeps them from coming, of course it'd be disappointing but it's not anything I can control."

Comments

boomer1110 5 years, 2 months ago

I find this disturbing to say the least! How in the world could an article light this fuse? Facts keep the confusion out and there's more to this story than meets the eye. It will be interesting to see what the facts turn out to be! I hope for Coach Self this gets straightened out in KU's favor! The Henry's would love KU once they get to Lawrence...let's hope the follow through on their commitment.

roggy 5 years, 2 months ago

Holy sh*t! I'm not sure what to think about this! I didn't see the article in the K.C. Star but this dad is starting to sound like a nut case. Hopefully, the mother has some sense and the brothers will remain at KU. Personally, I think Calipari is a bit shady and am wondering what he is saying behind the scenes. If Carl thinks the newspaper put them in a negative light, let the basketball court show the true side of the boys.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 2 months ago

THE BEST FOR K.U. AND MR SELF'S PROGRAM IS TO LET THEM BOTH GO TO KENTUCKY.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 2 months ago

So will the parents be sitting on the bench and calling the plays also? This is ridiculous. Let them go to Kentucky. They sound like trouble. There are many other good players who'd like to play for KU and perhaps aren't so high maintenance.

always_correct 5 years, 2 months ago

there's the story.. no real point to publish that story other than to cause a stir. weird. it does make them look bad, but if one news article makes them want to change their decision, they should know that anywhere they choose to play, there are going to be negative articles written. every other article so far has been relatively positive, and here in Lawrence we want the Henry brothers. Brady McCollough is on an island with a limited population.

jaywalker 5 years, 2 months ago

I read the article by McCullough and don't know what his angle is or where he went to school, but it certainly was not complimentary, particulary from someone who was given the access he had for what posed as a puff piece. He played the family up as prima donna's and I as soon as I finished reading it I hoped the Henry's wouldn't see it. That being said, associating that article with coming to KU couldn't be much more ridiculous for the Henry's. The man is a reporter for the Star and not part of KU in any fashion. If they make the move to Kentucky they'll just be proving McCullough right.

persevering_gal 5 years, 2 months ago

^^ Agree with Bob. Obviously Carl allowed the story to be published by allowing photographs and by providing information about the boys.

Al Deathe 5 years, 2 months ago

If Dad is so thin skinned and son doesn't have the guts to tell Dad to stay out of his business then let them go to Memphis. Sounds like the article could be true if the family is that thin skinned. Most Dads would take it as fuel for the boys to shut the media up, go out and prove them wrong. My question is, why aren"t the Henry boys here working out with the rest of the team anyway. Henry's need KU and Self not the other way around. He will make them first round draft picks. It would be nice to have them but KU players dont act this way, PERIOD!

kusp8 5 years, 2 months ago

Did Xavier ever sign a letter of intent?

roggy 5 years, 2 months ago

I want Xavier and C.J. to be a Jayhawks - Xavier wanted to play here all along. The article was a little weird but this whole situation has been weird. The boys coming to KU would put an end to all of the talk and speculation about why they aren't/weren't here this summer.

kcgregory 5 years, 2 months ago

chuckabee24 (Anonymous) says…

Did Xavier ever sign a letter of intent?

He signed one with Memphis and was released so he can go anywhere now.

Rickyonealku 5 years, 2 months ago

Tell you what Mr. Henry most of us Kansas Fans are thinking about college football which should be a great great year. Then it's time for basketball, but if every other day your getting upset about your sons????? and what your reading???? Question did both your sons ever sign a letter of intent with Kansas University??? Meaning they wanted to play basketball at KU??? Or maybe your sons are a bigger thorn in everyones back side and they should attend some other school for ONE YEAR. Kansas Basketball willl be a preseason NUMBER 1 without you sons.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 2 months ago

Be very carefull everyone. Carl is probably reading this thread.

Carl, love your kids, send them here. In four years your two boys will graduate with a degree from a great institution. By the way Carl you're looking great since you left KU. Have you lost some weight? Your boys are a chip off the old block, you must be proud. How's that pretty Bride of yours?

bangaranggerg 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh no! Now the point margins on our undefeated season will be slightly closer...bfd

kusportsnut08 5 years, 2 months ago

Xavier did not sign a letter of intent with the University of Kansas because he is not eligible to sign a second letter of intent. This is per NCAA rules, once he was released from his LOI with the University of Memphis he was able to choose another school and eligible to receive a full athletic scholarship but not sign a second LOI.

Phillandererr 5 years, 2 months ago

On the Xavier Henry story: Indeed, this is a wild story and I've got mixed emotions. I was graduated from Kansas and, similar to many, my knee-jerk thought is for the Henry clan to just pack up and head to Kentucky. Don't let the door hit ya!!!! However, coach Self has a calmer approach; to visit the family, as reported, tonight in Putnam City. I think alumns and fans should support this decision. Afterall, the coach has invested far more hours and time to the recruitment of Henry and probably has a better handle on this than what has been reported. I've been sensing some medling, of some sort, going on from Calipari and I heard on radio 810 Between the Lines Sports Talk today that some Kentucky players have been talking to Henry recently. The so-called "burr" about the KC Star article published the other day-------well, I think that's merely a smoke-screen.

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

"Let" them go to Kentucky? Heck, give them a ride. Better yet, give them a ride on the CatBacker bus, and take Iowa on the way out of town ... tell them to stand up, look back, and wave goodbye.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

We don't need the father, but I will take the sons. I am willing to believe they are good kids. The Kansas City Star has nothing to do with KU, but I guess the dad is fearful these types of columns will continue through the boys stay at KU. I hope he has enough sense not to let one article by an idiot journalist affect his kids futures.

roggy 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe the writer for the KC Star is a Missouri fan!

Stebbins 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't bring the KC Star into this. That article was very well done, and the writer called it like he saw it: a family with NBA priorities trying to navigate what's best for them, and them alone... and they'll never find that kind of navigation in a Range Rover or Hummer GPS unit.

sinverguenza 5 years, 2 months ago

The next time you ask yourself, "Why are athlete's egos inflated so much?" - slap yourself in the face. This is why. Don't tell me a couple of 18-year-olds are worth this fuss.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 2 months ago

Should the Henry's still attend KU, I would love to see the first time they practice or play a pick-up game with team members. Don't think that the current guys did not see Carl's quote that C.J. is better than anyone on KU right now (which for the record, is quite laughable).

Martini_Boy 5 years, 2 months ago

This too shall pass. Everytime this kind of thing happens so many of you pop a vein. Just shut up. Sit back and go along for the ride, because just like the amusment park, it will be exciting, fast and over before you know it....

aha 5 years, 2 months ago

they're gone, and i say good riddance.

seriously, i'm tired of the drama these two have brought this year ... actually, the drama more from daddy. if they don't want to be here, then go on to UK. we will be fine without ya.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

I know many of you think the Henrys not coming won't be that big of an impact, but KU could seriously use another guard. Collins (who is an All-American) is the only guard who is more than halfway decent. Although I still have hope for the Freshman point guard coming in.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget that Carl transfered to KU from Oklahoma City University and he also does not know the meaning of the word committment. It is no wonder his sons don't know either.

wacipimo 5 years, 2 months ago

Lance Stephenson is still available.

Graczyk 5 years, 2 months ago

If they came here the story would be more about "The Henrys" than it would be about the rich tradition of KU basketball. They would just screw up the progress that our very young team made last year.

Sayonara.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

Even without the Henrys, KU will be able to put a better team on the court than they had last year, and that team wasn't too far off final-four caliber.

Sure, it'd probably be better for both the Henrys and KU if they come here, but even if they do go to Kentucky, I'd still put my money on KU winning it all over them. I don't see any way Calipari can turn that many inexperienced prima donnas into a cohesive team.

cg1029 5 years, 2 months ago

This whole situation is laughable... Most of you probably did not hear the interview on the radio, or read the article in the newspaper and yet your opinion is already one of negativity toward the Henry family.

The article was not what I would consider a flattering piece on the family, but I highly doubt that it was disclosed to the family as the hatchet job that it was... Some of the quotes attributed to Mr. Henry were quite unflattering, but quotes in a newspaper article can be taken out of context. There are only two people who know what was actually said Mr. Herny and Mr. Mcculagh and in what fasion it was ment.

The quote about CJ being better then current KU players is a perfect example... Did Mr. Henry actually say that... I am sure that he did, but I dont think that he ment any offense when making the statement I believe that like most other proud fathers who love their children unconditionally he feels that his son is the best at whatever he does... Did the writer misrepresent what Mr. Henry said, or did he interpret it to mean something different?

7texdude 5 years, 2 months ago

KU fans have become so topsy-turvy it is laughable. When the Henrys announced they were here, we all went nuts and praised them to the sky. Now, there is a little bit of negitiviity and everyone is screaming to them, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

Huh?

When did Carl Henry and his sons become bad guys? Because of one story and one interview? Huh? It sounds like KU fans are now UK fans.......no class. I bet probation is next.....for both.

And KU has no chance to win the national title next year without them because we will be thin at guard. What happens if Sharon gets hurt? And I thought we wanted someone else to take 3s besides him.

This whole thing stinks.

Mike Blur 5 years, 2 months ago

TheOriginalCa, the reason why Carl transferred from OCU is because the school whacked their basketball program.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 2 months ago

I was unaware that OCU had "whacked" their basketball program. When I was there, the OCU Chiefs (now "Stars") played in national tournaments, this being 1962-1966), Abe Lemmons was coach and I played in the basketball band for all home games. OCU does not have a football team.

I was curious why Jeff Capel at OU did not get in the running for these fellows, they are Oklahoma natives and OU does have a pretty good BB program. Maybe Jeff knows something that is just now coming out, that these fellows might be great players, but there are other necessary traits needed to have a cohesive team effort, and odd behavior and prima-donna personalities are not part of that sort of an organization. This might not be a bad thing, if indeed these players bolt KU for UK. Just my 2pennies worth.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 2 months ago

mike_blur (Mike Blur) says…

You may be correct, but why then did he have to sit out a year in 1982?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh well, don't really care and the reason to go to college is for an education anyway. hahhaaahahaaaa, who am I kiddin".

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 2 months ago

jumpin_catfish (Anonymous) says…

Oh well, don't really care and the reason to go to college is for an education anyway. hahhaaahahaaaa, who am I kiddin”.

Looks like you need an education so that you will know how to spell "ha ha ha ha ha ha"

jaywalker 5 years, 2 months ago

"Tell the Henry's to go to hell. KU is too good and ethical for this dog and pony show."

But apparently some of KU's fans are deficient in the 'class' department.

"if Self lets them in, I will not attend or watch any game while they are at KU. And my respect for Self is dropping fast."

Spoken like a sincere 5 year old. Where's snap with that quote of you vowing to never post on this forum ever again? Aah, the wonders of boundless hyperbole. And your 'respect' for Coach is waning because of someone else's actions, statements, and decisions? Brilliant!!

DB Ashton 5 years, 2 months ago

The Henry family, John Calipari and recently integrated Kentucky basketball are a perfect fit and will allow Kansans to continue to allege that basketball players here are students, however illusionary.

What’s sad is that the The Kansas City Star has exposed this fraud, fully confessed by the Henry family, and readers -- those few left who can and will read -- would prefer to kill the newspaper. Be careful what you wish for...

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Let the one and done Prima Donnas go to UK.

jayhawks71 5 years, 2 months ago

So Xavier thinks he is ready for the NBA? Wow, what will he do when the national media comment on his first shooting slump. 18 year olds are fickle, but c'mon, let's toughen up a bit.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 2 months ago

Free country I'll spell ha ha anyway I want and I'll have you know originalca that I are educated.

mae 5 years, 2 months ago

are these boys or men? sounds like daddy is controlling the situation, so obviously boys. not ready for nba.

they will be heroes in lawrence and adored. this whole thing has been catered to to a point that makes us look like kentucky.

let them go, we don't need them.

greenworld 5 years, 2 months ago

WHo Cares......Let's not take these guys and beg them into coming here, if they want to be here they will be, if they dont then they can go play somewhere else. Afterall we have the Twins and of course Collins and Cole. With or without them we are still very much a loaded gun ready to take off and win it all. I guess if they dont want to win it all they can go play for someone else.

DrKen 5 years, 2 months ago

Letter to the Henry's if you read this blog: The fans at KU very much want you and are waiting for you to arrive on campus. You will be welcomed with open arms. Since your annoucement of coming to KU, I have heard literally hundreds of positive and excited comments about the brothers playing for KU. I had not heard any negative comments until the last couple days. The negative reactions on this blog and other blogs are a reaction to your verbalizing a lack of loyality to your commitment to come to KU. To put in another way, when your highly desired prom date begins talking at the last minute about going to the prom with someone else, human nature is to lash out a bit. We are simply hurt that you have not committed heart and soul to KU. I'm no basketball coach, but from what I know, KU will be a better fit for your career aspirations in the NBA. Please do not let a newspaper article (which could have been a lot worse) written by someone with no association with KU (probably a Missouri fan) effect the promise you made to Coach Self and tens of thousands KU fans across the country.

Thats_messed_up 5 years, 2 months ago

They sound perfect for KU! Get them rooms in Jayhawk Towers and station them in the elevators to pleasure the locals. Of course Sherron will be their certified instructor! Lolololololololololololollolol

Sparko 5 years, 2 months ago

The article is only cover for them to do what they were going to do already; it is pretty clear Calipari has been tampering with the recruitment of these kids. Follow the money.

Kent Fisher 5 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like another Jaron Rush recruitment fiasco...You'll remember that Coach Williams dropped Jaron after a similar situation.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 2 months ago

stiches4snitches (Anonymous) says… "be careful Carl, your Joe Jackson is showing."

mdrndgtl 5 years, 2 months ago

People read the Kansas City Star?

Mike Blur 5 years, 2 months ago

No one is reading this thread anymore, but I'll respond to TheOriginalCa's and TheOriginalBob's comments in a roundabout way.

In the early 80s, sub-mid-majors were groaning under the financial weight of Title IX compliance--and in the day when big TV contract money had yet to filter down to the OCU's of the world, athletic departments had little choice to crap or get off the pot. OCU sort of did both, by self-demoting to NAIA and whacking their MBB program. (I don't know, and can't find out if they ever had a football program of note. I'm unwilling to spend more than 10 minutes on Google looking up OCU football.)

Wichita State followed a similar path in the early 80s when they deleted their football program. The men's basketball program was successful enough to avoid the axe. The football program has yet to resurrect itself.

You can cite OCU basketball history all you want--but remember the lessons taught by the case of CCNY, the only school in history to win an NCAA and NIT title in the same season: when things go bad, the free fall is pretty steep. And no-one's around to break your fall.

Rickyonealku 5 years, 2 months ago

OCU aka Oklahoma City University NEVER had a football program.

Judgesmails 5 years, 2 months ago

Take your a$$es to Kentucky !!!

Selfish and Spoiled.

BEAT IT !!!

ravenjayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Should we go or should we not?Get rid of them. Not University of Kansas type of players at all