Archive for Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday morning chase ends with vehicle crash

June 28, 2009, 7:24 a.m. Updated June 28, 2009, 11:25 p.m.

Car chase ends in crash

An early-morning car chase ended in a crash in south Lawrence. Enlarge video

A 20-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Sunday morning on multiple charges after leading police on several vehicle chases and later fleeing on foot. The man was arrested in the 500 block of Oklahoma Street after crashing his vehicle near the intersection of Kansas and Montana streets.

The suspect’s vehicle, a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville, began to malfunction near the end of the pursuit, which ended when the car struck two parked vehicles.

“The driver tried to negotiate a turn going left,” said police Sgt. Michael McLaren. “He went into the yard and struck two vehicles located in a driveway on the left side of the street.”

After the vehicle chase ended about 5:30 a.m., the suspect fled on foot from police. Officers pursued him through the Parkhill Terrace residential neighborhood for several minutes before making an arrest at 5:35 a.m.

The incident began at 5:12 a.m. when officers attempted to stop the vehicle for a traffic violation in the 2000 block of Iowa Street. The driver turned eastbound on 21st Street and accelerated, driving recklessly and blowing through stop signs, McLaren said. Officers terminated the original pursuit less than one minute after it began because of high speeds.

The vehicle was located at 5:26 a.m. near 20th and Rhode Island streets. When officers tried to reinitate a traffic stop it resulted in another pursuit, which was ended by the crash.

The suspect’s vehicle sustained front-end damage in the incident.

According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office booking log, the charges against suspect include fleeing and eluding, driving under the influence, open container, reckless driving, obstructing legal procedure, leaving the scene of an accident, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and driving with a suspended license.

Comments

hujiko 5 years ago

Man, those sirens were really going.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Your cousins or mine, autie?........

GardenMomma 5 years ago

I wonder why those people who run from the police do so. It only makes things worse - for the one who runs, for the police, for the innocent bystanders, etc.

christy kennedy 5 years ago

I heard a bunch of them go by—they were flying.

average 5 years ago

The word 'accident' is a strange euphemism in the situation.

irunsowhat 5 years ago

It doesn't look like Richard's car to me. I thought he drove a gold car (older than a '93) that was kind of lifted off the ground because of the tires a bit. Maybe he has since made a change. Go Demby's!!!

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

Would that be called a fenders bender??

cfdxprt 5 years ago

Flame me at will, but I'll say this.

70 mph is way to fast to be driving through neighborhoods, either cop or perp. You knew his plate number, he could be tracked down later - DO NOT EVER drive down my street at 70, I get pi$$ed at people driving 30. Yeah, it was early in the morning, but this behavior shows disrespect for citizens, and small children who could be around.

Not a day to be proud LPD, you got your suspect, but violated common sense.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

Slight follow up -

do not ever - should be all caps!

Thanks LJW caps filter.

compmd 5 years ago

"You knew his plate number, he could be tracked down later"

Except if the car was stolen or he performed the inconceivable and insanely difficult task of putting different plates on it.

Tell us again you wouldn't want anyone going 70 down your street when you call 911 because you have a medical emergency or your house is on fire.

gccs14r 5 years ago

EMS and Fire are allowed to go only ten over the limit.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

compmd - 911, in Chicago, which I'm more familiar with the laws, buses and fire trucks don't break the speed limit, it's your job if you do, tons of metal screwing up means real damage.

Maybe you don't have kids, you don't have neighborhood cats that are nice and you like, you don't care if things get run over in your neighborhood because someone's driving too fast. There are two parties in a high speed chase, one should exhibit logic, and minimize public danger. Again, do not ever drive down my street at 70, that's reckless, that's 18 year old boy's fantasy. Do you have a real argument to make?

Russell Fryberger 5 years ago

The perp is going to drive that fast anyway, why can't the cops stay on them? Personally I'd rather a sniper put a bullet in the skull of the idiot driver and be done with it. This cops and robbers thing is getting pretty old.

notjustastudent 5 years ago

2 questions cfdxprt-

1) What street do you live on? 2) Did you physically witness them driving down your street at 70 mph?

If the answer to question 2 is no, then do Y.O.U have a real argument to make?

cfdxprt 5 years ago

notjustastudent-

The street I reside on is in the city limits of Lawrence, KS, I pay property taxes and all that fancy stuff. As a student, do you have any skin in the game?

Whether it was my street or not, if they think it's acceptable to drive down one street at 70, than any street is acceptable. Are you not cognizant, do you not understand precedent? Today it's someone else's street, tomorrow it's your's or mine, or someone else with a 2 year old too close to the street. Then, when the inevitable happens at high speed, as taxpayers we have to pay for yahoo behavior that "again" violates common sense.

somebodynew 5 years ago

ding, ding ding - we have a winner !!!!! Teacher101 is correct if you check the daily jail log. Gee, and he has drug charges also - ya think he would have had them on him if the police just politely stopped, ran his tag and knocked on his door at a later date ???? Oh, I know I sure he would have just told the truth about everything when he answere the door.

gsxr600 5 years ago

170hp V6 < 235hp V8... They're gonna keep up with you so why bother.

Can someone give my a link to the jail log? I can never seem to find it.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I have bookmarked this so I can get information. If the public get names and addresses, why not put them in the article? Policy? Can't the paper change its policies?

MaryKatesPillStash 5 years ago

Yes, LPD, please refrain from doing your jobs, as it might disturb cfdxprt's stray cats.

JimmyJoeBob 5 years ago

I have read the article several times where did cfdxprt come up with 70 mph. Apparently he/she made that part up which makes their point seem silly. Even if they had the tag number the registered owner could say they weren't driving the car at the time. Some people lie cfdxprt. Use your head a little.

JimmyJoeBob 5 years ago

And why does cfdxprt allow their two year old to play so closely to the street unattended?

Marcy McGuffie 5 years ago

JimmyJoeBob -

The article did say 70 mph, earlier this morning. Before being so quick to judge that people make stuff up, take into consideration that articles are updated and changed from time to time.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

I don't have a 2 year old, many of my neighbors do. The time isn't an issue, if you could read, and understand, my point is that if they'll do it one time, at a given time, and a given street, they'll do it another time, on your street. Is it less of a threat if they're wielding a lethal weapon as a car at 2 in the afternoon when my neighbors 10 and 11 year old girls are out? Recklessness is recklessness, no matter the time of day.

As a furtherance of my point, I was at Home Depot earlier today and ran over to get some hamburgers, a sheriff was late to meet his buds and was driving 40 through the parking lot. This is unacceptable, a badge doesn't give you cart blanche to play out your childhood fantasies. These people aren't Kimi Raikkonen, they don't have the training or experience to operate a vehicle at high speeds in close quarters, with unexpected obstacles. Flip the tables and the cops would be in jail for reckless endangerment.

Consider me the old guy on his porch with a cane shaking it at passersby. At 16 one of those people made me realize how stupid I was acting with a car.

So far, they've got the guy on DUI and possession, glad we'll throw all laws to the wind to catch the dangerous ones. Might as well break out the military for anyone littering. I know Police have their purpose, I'm thankful for them, but they should think things out instead of acting on adrenaline. Even with the argument that they might have not caught the guy - how many drunks didn't they catch on the road last night?

gsxr600 5 years ago

This idiot was in my graduating class at LHS. He was a d-bag then and well..... it appears nothing has changed.

BMI 5 years ago

Irish if you can get that info why not just put it on yourself?

jaywalker 5 years ago

"Again, do not ever drive down my street at 70, that's reckless, that's 18 year old boy's fantasy"

Sorry, buddy, but you seem to be the only one living in a fantasy world. First of all, maybe you missed this part: "At one point, officers cut off the chase because of the suspect's high speed."

The police do hold by certain standards when it comes to HSC's and pull off when risk or danger is high. Let's say the police held by YOUR 'rule of law' and didn't pursue suspects over the speed limit. Less or more crime? I'm goin' with a heckuva lot more, and that's just swell.
You've spent alot of time here arguing something that is unrealistic and has absolutely no chance - EVER - of becoming reality. Not only that, but have we had a rash of police crashes in residential neighborhoods or children gettin' run down? You have the option of moving out to the country off a long dirt road. Perhaps that's not realistic for ya, but quit bein' the 'old guy shakin' the cane'. You're howlin' at the moon.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

I love how cfdxprt thinks himself an expert on why the sheriff was doing 40! "to meet his buds,"
maybe not cfdxprt. and, when its your emergency, please identify yourself ahead of time to 911 so they can drive at or below the posted speedlimit responding to your emergency.

lawrence is not like you see on Cops so often, we don't have a helicopter to track runners.
I'm delighted the LPD pursued this dude, for a while they weren't chasing anybody, including that Brandon guy who busted up checkers, threatened some guy with a kknife, carjacked a van at what was the texaco on Mass st. and 150-miles later on the other side of missouri some cops with a will to do what was right stopped him, high on crack.
after the carjacking, lpd called off the pursuit!

oh, yeah, cfdxprt, please also put a sign in your front yard: "this house not protected by lawrence pd, as they might use sirens to respond to a burglary here!"
let us know how that goes, okay.

purplesage 5 years ago

cfdxprt - You have it right. There is no excuse for this kind of thing. It ishow people - those who have run afoul of the law, police officers, and general public, innocent bystander types - get hurt and killed.

There are probably a few violent crime type of things that justify a pursuit. The rest of it - no way.

Police departments always fall back on "policy" in instances like this. The first piece of policy they need is that they work for us.

compmd 5 years ago

cfdxprt, the police were doing their job. Children should be taught to not play in the street, and to GTFO of the way if they see cars coming at them in general. It doesn't matter if the car is going 30 or 70. This goes hand in hand with "look both ways before crossing the street."

Also, I grew up in Chicago and the suburbs. In the suburbs (especially the North Shore) police, fire, and rescue will go however fast they need to in order to respond. My parents had a small fire at their house, and two minutes after dialing 911 a fire truck and ambulance were in front of the house. I have also had ambulances go flying past me on I-94 (55mph zone). Maybe the speed limit issue you're thinking of is only in the dense urban environment of Chicago. Still, I don't think it matters, because juxtaposing Chicago public servants and strict adherence to guidelines and ordinances is a joke, and you know it.

Seriously, the bright flashing multicolored lights and loud sirens are there for a reason.

been_there 5 years ago

So am I reading it wrong or is his total bail $7,700? That doesn't seem like much for so many charges.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I did not put Richard Demby's name on here as someone had already done so. I have never been involved with the police except for getting help from them. The only thing I know about bail is what I got from The Fall Guy, remember that show? I Googled bail and found out all about it. So, he would have to have 770 which is 10% of 7,700 to give a bail bondman to get out of jail. If he leaves town the bondman has to pay the entire amount. Anyone on here willing to post bail for Richard?

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

I should have added that back then, maybe '06, the lpd "almost never chase" policy was apparently driven more by liberal lawrence politics than lpd's own motivations, it seemed. there was an overreaction to a high speed chase death down near 31st and iowa.
a young asian guy t-boned an innocent and killed her, he had a long criminal history and outstanding warrants for drugs etc., and had started driving in a way that endangered people downtown, drove down 9th, eventually wound up way down near south iowa. lpd had pursued him but had broken off the pursuit before he hit the woman.

I am delighted that lpd did their job, and this loser today is behind bars. hope he doesn't make bail.

now, whose cousin is he? does he have family from Wichita? does he have a semi-iliterate wife willing to "stand by him" and tell us "he's a great guy, he just made a bad mistake, and you guys shouldn't be pikin on him cuz yawl don kno him. so jes shuddup!"

cfdxprt 5 years ago

jaywalker and gnome,

Normally I respect your comments and see you both as a voice of reason amongst many people who aren't, here.

Today, I will respectfully disagree. That they pulled off the chase wasn't in the original article when I got up this morning - kudos, should be done. The original article made no such statement, just that they HPC'd through neighborhoods. That's not right, and I'm not OK with it.

I'm not arguing that the police are bad drivers, they're better trained than most. I'm arguing, as of the facts early this morning, that they shouldn't be encouraging driving at very high speeds in residential areas. The person in the other car is probably drunk or high, or both, don't encourage. Yes, getting your man is the purpose, do it when it doesn't endanger.

I don't know, I said flame me at the start, I don't want anyone driving down my street at 40, much less 70. Facts have changed since my first comments, eh that happens, it sounds like LPD, if they did pull off, did the right thing, it didn't sound that way earlier, it sounded like they were bragging how fast they drove.

Like I say, there's h-e-double hockey sticks to pay for driving down my street fast - ask a few of the people I've confronted.

Gnome, I'll take care of myself and my loved ones, unless it's a spinal injury I can get people to the emergency room much faster than an ambulance, proximity will do that for you. Police aren't responsible for ensuring your safety, Supreme Court says that, so I take that responsibility also.

persevering_gal 5 years ago

cfdxprt -

With all due respect, if you have an issue with what was done, maybe you should take it to the city rather than the LJWorld.com. All you're going to get on here are remarks that may or may not agree with your statement.

mdfraz 5 years ago

cfd-

First, I love the complete speculation about the sheriff who was "late to meet his buddies" and was speeding (according to you) through a parking lot. Did you talk to him? Did you see where he went? Do you have a scanner to know if he was responding to a call? If so, please elaborate so you can defend your (seemingly) baseless accusations.

Second, recklessness (and I'm not saying the police were reckless in this case) will be defined differently in different neighborhoods, in different weather conditions, and at different times of day. If it were a school zone at 3 pm on a Tuesday, you can bet the cops would have called off the pursuit before they got to that situation. So, IF it was 70 on deserted streets at 5 am on Sunday morning, that's different than even 45 on a busy street during rush hour.

Third, although I don't want to give cops carte blanche to pursue recklessly on just any old crime, barring police from pursuing people who are driving faster than the speed limit provides free rein for criminals. The cops in Lawrence won't chase us because of whiny citizens? Let's outrun them every time!

cfdxprt 5 years ago

beo,

yep, you've got people like me around you. I stick up for myself, keep posting from your mom's basement. My neighborhood is safer with me around.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

md,

I will readily admit it's speculation, but there were 3 deputies in 5 guys and that's where he went. Forgive me for speculating, but employ a bunch of detectives to figure out what happened, and a cop driving real fast to meet 3 others who were eating, would probably say that's where he was going. Trust me, I'm not an idiot (though my wife would say different) I notice things, my conclusions aren't perfect, where someone parks is a good indication of where they're going.

justfornow and others, why do you want to know where I live? I gave enough away earlier that I'm within some distance of LMH.

soldier1 5 years ago

Probably just my experience, but 90% of the people driving like an idiot are in a Pontiac. Mostly Grand Prix. Again, probably just my experience...

for Beo... It is pretty easy to tell the difference between 30mph and 40mph. On post, the max speed limit is 30mph, and you can tell when someone is going over the speed limit.

kawvalleybulldog 5 years ago

Police officer training generally emphasizes the "worst possible case scenario". As a result, many officers become occupationally and personally groomed into approaching situations with paranoid suspicion. This defensive stance towards life can become both an obsession and a liability. It is not uncommon to find officers who are addicted to risk behavior. Police work is mostly routine, but it is also interspersed with acts of violence, excitement, and trauma. Officers become addicted to this excitement and cannot function effectively without it when they separate from service. Such "highs" are frequently followed by a depression of a "downer" mood; which has been proven to contribute to the rampant domestic abuse in police families.

townie42 5 years ago

There are only 3 streets out of the neighborhood. 3 cars could've contained him without a chase the minute he turned. No high speed required.

I'm just glad I didn't park on the street last night. That drunk jerk could've cost me a bunch of money, and he easily could've done a whole lot worse than that.

I hope they throw the book at him.

kawvalleybulldog 5 years ago

beobachter, Well, there are at least six officers in the news reel; four of whom appear to be just standing around chatting. Open your eyes before you open your mouth. LMFAO @ staffed at that level? Surely three could've responded.

Carol Bowen 5 years ago

I saw the chase. There were 3 cop cars in pursuit. Another car blocked Ohio St. I think they had a standard operating procedure that went well. They were swift and sure. Personally,l am glad they caught the guy rather than letting him roam freely. I would not be interested in having trouble on my doorstep at 5:15 am.

JimmyJoeBob 5 years ago

CDFXPRT would have complained if the cops hadn't caught the guy and he went out and killed someone while driving around drunk. It sounds like CDFXPRT got a ticket some where for speeding.

jaywalker 5 years ago

cfd,

Didn't mean for my address to you to sound harsh. I had no idea they'd 'updated' the article and finally included the line about pulling off the pursuit, I'm sure your comment would have been more tempered had you seen that originally.
I get where you're comin' from, I guess I'm just comfortable with the training and policies law enforcement has in place. Don't know what street you live on, but if you wanna slow down all traffic past your house I'd suggest looking into petitioning the city for speed bumps. Might not be feasible, but the effort couldn't hurt.

coolmom 5 years ago

i get tired of the criminals seeming to get off with a slap because they got away or skirted the laws that protect us. i want the cops to be as careful as possible but to get there. i want police, fire and ambulance to get to me or mine as soon as poosible, i wont call them lightly so if i call its important. when i was a kid an ambulance speeding to our home saved my fathers life.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years ago

cfd will eventually confront the wrong person someday and probably gain a whole new attitude about that approach. You may think you're out there doing the right thing, but you ain't no Clint Eastwood and this ain't no Hollywood movie.

I remember old people like you when I was young and, now that I'm older, I still don't get why they are so angry. The best way you can take care of your family and keep yourself in that business is to show a little restraint, not resort to vigilantism. You can either learn that the easy way or the hard way - your choice. The fact is, there are a lot of people packing these days out there and you might end up on the wrong end of that situation.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

Wow, flock, project much? I've confronted people with a raised hand and stopped them in the road when they were driving way too fast down my street. It seems to me someone is way too scared of guns. Yes, you've got a problem if you cross the threshold of my door and aren't invited, otherwise, I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. The attitude everyone should have. There's no reason for me to worry about people packing, I usually feel safer around them.

Jaywalker, no problem, like I said you seem intelligent around here, sometimes posting to an ongoing story is like commenting on an Irish blog.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years ago

cfdxprt (Anonymous) says…

"I've confronted people with a raised hand and stopped them in the road when they were driving way too fast down my street. It seems to me someone is way too scared of guns."

Not scared of guns at all, just some of the people that pack them illegally. I'm a dead-eye shot with small arms and it was part of my job while I served in the military. Maybe you haven't had a gun pulled on you before. Keep your behavior up and your chances of it happening will be pretty good.

bliddel 5 years ago

This is an absurdly complicated topic best discussed rationally by engineers and scientists.

Speed in excess of posted limits does not kill, any more than a reading of 0.08% on a cheap Asian breathalyzer is necessarily an indication of impairment.

Significant force is clearly justified when the task is to arrest someone who is driving while his or her ability is impaired by drugs, alcohol, or disease.

The motivation of most politicians in designing traffic laws is not safety and is not efficiency for the motorists, but is rather for revenue maximization, and the political appearance of caring about one's constituents. Speed and Blood Alcohol Levels are relatively easy to measure, hence statutes based on such relative trivia. Recklessness and impairment are much more subjective, and generally much more difficult to prove. Note that the ability of an average person to accurately estimate the speed of a passing vehicle is remarkably poor. Even people with training are not very good at it. See www.motorists.org

Law enforcement finds itself acting as armed tax collectors more often than providing a genuine public service. This perversion of our legal system for revenue enhancement generates considerable disrespect for those who otherwise try to prevent anarchy. Still, when a high speed pursuit results in discovery of drug paraphernalia, I am disinclined to criticize the police. In this particular case, LPD apparently showed great wisdom and restraint in terminating at least one segment of the chase.

I am not afraid of people only because they carry guns. I would however, be afraid of a gun toting vigilante who was so rabid about estimated speeds in “his” neighborhood that he would run out into a public street to enforce his personal gospel upon innocent motorists driving by, even if said individual believes he is a very nice person.

igby 5 years ago

DA's office did not file charges today and he's back out of jail on the street.

So the LPD can chase him down again.

We have no one working in the DA's office?

river_rat 5 years ago

igby

if you look under the inmates in custody link under the booking recap it will show you that this person is still in jail. My guess (and i know you folks hate guesses, but this one seems logical) is that this person was already on probation/parole for a crime with a longer sentence than he would have gotten for these crimes.

GardenMomma 5 years ago

Did the article change? I thought for sure I read it yesterday where it said something about reaching speeds of up to 70 mph. And I for sure do not recall seeing the bit about officers stopping the pursuit in less than one minute due to high speeds.

Sounds like a CYA to me.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years ago

GardenMomma -

Yes, the article has been updated. LJWorld frequently updates their stories online, as they learn more information. If you look under the byline, it shows when the story was originally posted. In red, it shows when it was last updated.

GardenMomma 5 years ago

Ah, yes, I see that now. Thanks for the tidbit.

I will look for that in the future.

cfdxprt 5 years ago

With the words put into my mouth, I'm a gun toting freak out on the street chasing down every car that passes.

I will signal to people on the street to stop so I can talk to them, most of the time they don't realize they were driving so fast. I've never had anyone get angry with me, most are appreciative for the wake up, some go by, so be it.

Residential is residential, ask my wife I gripe at her all the time about how fast she's driving. There's kids around, you're stupid if you don't think a kid will chase a ball into the street without thinking. That's what they do, stupid stuff that hopefully they get past. As a part of driving, it's your job to look out for that to take actions that prevent it.

I'm done with this thread, I've said my peace, I've argued with people who I respect their opinion. Now that I've got a thinly veiled death threat (beo) I'll return to being anonymous. At least I probably helped the market for blood pressure medicines in Lawrence this week.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years ago

cfd says:

"Now that I've got a thinly veiled death threat (beo)"

Death wish on your part, not a death threat.

As much as I agree with your intentions, I'm just pointing out that it could be a problem that you can't handle. What good are you to your family or neighborhood if, Heaven forbid, someone takes that track. I agree with Beo in that I would possibly view someone flagging me down in the road, depending on the approach, as a potential threat. You can sure try that, as you are, but there's a distinct possibility that things could go terribly different than you might have experienced up to now. I would have thought that you might have already gathered that from life in Chi-town, depending on where you were.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

CFD, thank you for your compliments. I do rather trust the pd, for one thing when they do a pursuit they're risking their own lives too. and I do not perceive that most officers have an itchy foot and just want to throw on the siren and hit the gas, Cops TV show to the wind.

you are lucky to live near LMH. many of us don't. some of us live across the kaw river bridge and traffic could be a problem for emergency vehicles.

many people indeed might interpret your waving them down as a threat, you really might want to watch that.

yes, it would be better if chases didn't happen. but given the alternatives, I'd much rather see the crook caught. if he's running there's probably a very good reason. yes kids do stupid stuff, boy do I agree. but teach your kids the meaning of the siren sound and the flashing lights.

and finally, I do think your comment about the sheriff was uncalled for. yes, you may have seen him meet three others at a restaurant. LEO's do more than eat at restaurants. plus, I'm willing to give him more benefit of the doubt.

anyway, thanks for the compliment. I do appreciate your comments too, even here as I've disagreed.