Archive for Sunday, June 28, 2009

Police make arrest in east Lawrence home invasion

June 28, 2009

An 18-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Thursday morning on charges of criminal trespassing and interfering with duties of an officer.

Lawrence Police responded to 2000 E. 19th Street at 2:25 a.m. Thursday to a report of a woman waking up and finding a stranger beside her in bed. According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, police located the suspect in the bathroom of the residence.

The suspect apparently was intoxicated and thought he was entering a friend's residence. He let himself in through an unlocked door and crawled into bed, according to Hadl.

According to Hadl, the man gave a false statement to police, resulting in the arrest on charges of interfering with duties of an officer. The man was not arrested on charges of aggravated burglary because nothing was taken from the home and no sexual misconduct took place.

Comments

ToriLynn 1 year, 9 months ago

3 years ago that man stood in the door way of my room and flickerd the lights on and off. and hid in the bathroom because my dog was growling. sad to say but that man ruin my life i can stay home at all at night by my self because he scared me that bad to wake up and some one be flashing the lights on looking at you, not knowing if they are gonna rape you, try and harm you or anything.. My life changed that night and to this day i still shake in my sleep, picture that guy in my head. at the age of 13 you shouldn't have to deal with it. expecially if you have a step mom like mine that wouldn't come help me. she was to scared here self be cause he got in bed between her and my 3 year old sister

If you cant handle you alcohol then don't drink or make sure you are where your supposed to be.

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

Beo~ I'm somewhere between you and Skinny... I think a paper (like government or a small child) can always stand to improve and what incentive will it have (or how will it know how its readers/constituents/parents want it to change) if people don't offer constructive comments?

Emphasis on the word "constructive." And there's where I differ from Skinny. If the comments are rude, belittling, obnoxious, and mean-spirited, how far do you think you'll get with encouraging change?

How hard would it be to suggest in a positive and constructive way that including more comprehensive police reports and court sentencings would be welcomed by readers? I'm sure a lot of other readers would get behind that--including me!

But I can't get behind snotty, dismissive slams. A lot of people work really hard on the paper--and are receptive to suggestions that will make it a better publication. But they have no obligation (much less motive) to heed tips from someone whose "suggestions" are delivered as insults and chides.

beobachter 4 years, 9 months ago

skinny, you don't like LJW, don't read it. Or better yet buy it and change policies. Sure Dolph would be open to offer if money was there.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

His name is Elden Matthew Oldman and he had an outstanding warrant along with the other charges.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Lock your doors! How hard it that? Well, once or twice I have come in and after an hour or two happened to glance at the front door and saw that it was unlocked. I am always shocked and chide myself. But it happens. That would be a real shock to have something like this happen. He thought it was a friend? Well, that's just about as friendly as you can get, "I'll just leave the door unlocked and when ever you just come in and climb into bed." Whoa!

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

skinny - It isn't so much that the LJW doesn't print the stuff, it is because they no longer have actual reporters who go look for things. Years ago there was a reporter assigned to the "police beat" and would show up everyday at the LEC and look for stories. They now wait until the agencies call them to report a story. And trust me, the agencies do not go out of their way to call them.

And they do have a crimes/court section, but even if you know where to look for it, it really doesn't report much.

skinny 4 years, 9 months ago

Beobachter, I have no problem with LPD. They do a GREAT job.

My problem is after living in several cities and having read several area papers the Lawrence Journal World is lacking. They fail to report the local news as it happens. They are selective in what they print. They say they did not print the names of those arrested until there is a conviction. However they do print the names of a select few that are arrested such as LPD Officer Ryan Sayler. Was he convicted? The LJWorld doesn’t even follow their own policy.

There isn't even a crimes section in the paper or a court section. Look at all the other area newspapers. If something happens in this town you have to read the Kansas City Star or The Topeka Capital to find out who it was that was arrested. What a joke!

The people in Lawrence don't have a clue to have the stuff that goes on in this city because the LJWorld refuses to print it.

This is a safety issue for those of us that live in this city.

beobachter 4 years, 9 months ago

skinny, what the hell is your problem with LPD? Too many up close and personal encounters?

skinny 4 years, 9 months ago

and his name is??????

You printed Officer Ryan Saylers name!

The information is given to you, print it like all the other papers do.

Get with the program or close up shop.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh this is ripe all the way around. Everybody know where their cousins are? Nothin' like local news to go with the biscuits! ;)