Archive for Sunday, June 28, 2009

Electric fire at Target prompts evacuation

June 28, 2009

Customers evacuated Target on Saturday afternoon after a small electric fire broke out in a freezer.

At around 12:43 p.m., a freezer caught fire in the bakery section of Target, 3201 Iowa. No one was injured and the fire involved mostly smoke, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical Chief Doug Green said.

Six firefighting apparatuses and 16 firefighters were at the scene.

The store was closed for about an hour after customers evacuated the building. After approval from the Kansas Department of Agriculture, the store reopened.

Comments

none2 4 years, 9 months ago

Boeing (Anonymous) says…

none2:

You spent an hour and a half arguing about $20? Man, I am glad my time is worth more than $13.33 an hour to me, sorry yours isn't man. So you're either lying or really, really need something better to do with your time/life. Either way, I am sorry.

For one thing the price was different by $20.00 PER BOX. Did I ever say I only bought just one from this second store? Please learn not to make assumptions when you read a comment.

Second, it is a matter of principal. What they were doing was wrong and considering I drove all the way to their second store, I wasn't going to leave until the situation was rectified.

If you personally have $20.00 to throw left and right, that is great. I'm sure retailers love when you go to their store, because you must not care what they ring up and charge you. Personally, I saw no reason that WalMart needed my charity. Not all of us are oozing money or credit cards to where we can live that kind of lifestyle.

Escapee 4 years, 9 months ago

Keep telling the story, folks.... Walmart lies, cheats, and has single handedly ruined small town America's economies. Period.

Boeing 4 years, 9 months ago

none2:

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

Who cares about either place Price Chopper for food Beast Buy for electronics, Old Navy, Dilliards Pennys for clothes Wal Mart sucks

beobachter 4 years, 9 months ago

pissedinlawrence, in you great wisdom, explain exactly what a fire at target has to do with walmart prices?

Graczyk 4 years, 9 months ago

Shop at Target. Our prices are smoking.

none2 4 years, 9 months ago

Peaty (Anonymous) says…

Who cares about Wal Mart?

I'm glad it was not as serious as it could have been. Kudos to the fire department.

More people care about WalMart than Target (Tarjay).

MichaelC 4 years, 9 months ago

No mention of the fearlessness with which the leader of the Target team calmly yet firmly took control of the situation? Whatevs dog. Whatevs

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Right, this is a story about Target, so no one write about Target. That would just be so wrong. I love Walmart.

Peaty 4 years, 9 months ago

Who cares about Wal Mart?

none2 4 years, 9 months ago

amyc (Anonymous) says…

So do they price-match themselves?

No, they do not unless you make a pest of yourself and argue with them...

I'm disgusted with WalMart over this. Three months ago while I was in Overland Park, I went to Walmart to get Equate smoking cessation stuff for a friend. They only had one box, and they sold it for about $23.00. It wasn't on sale; it wasn't expired. Rather, that was their regular price. They told me, for more boxes, I'd have to call a nearby WalMart and see if they had it. They even gave me the phone book to call them. I did, and the other store had them. I never thought to ask them the price. I went there, and the product was around $47.00 a box. That is over TWENTY dollars higher! It was the exact same product (same bar code). I spent the next hour and a half arguing until I got them to give it to me for the same price.

The only difference between the "markets" that I could tell off the top of my head was that there were a lot more African-Americans, Hispanics, and in general more blue collar people in the second WalMart store -- as opposed to the one in Overland Park. Perhaps they feel that minority groups and blue collar workers prefer to pay more for smoking cessation products? Perhaps people in Overland Park at the Walmart near the Sprint campus cannot afford such high prices?

The day the NW Lawrence WalMart store opened up for the first time, I called and asked what their pricing policy would be. The lady said that the two stores would have identical prices. If someone finds the prices are different, I think they should get people to protest. Now, if we are talking manager special sales or overage inventories, price differences there I can understand. However, for anything else, they are cheating the community.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

okay, so the prices at wal-mart(s) caused the bakery freezer fire at Target?

whoa, I am living in the Twilight Zone!

amyc 4 years, 9 months ago

So do they price-match themselves?

skinny 4 years, 9 months ago

I thought Wal-Mart priced matched?

orioledw 4 years, 9 months ago

Wal mart prices according to the market...look at Sams Club online and pick out two different stores the prices are always different

pissedinlawrence 4 years, 9 months ago

The prices at the new Walmart are higher than the prices at the old Walmart!!

maxcrabb 4 years, 9 months ago

Aw, shucks. I miss all the excitement by half an hour...