Archive for Sunday, June 28, 2009

Writer seeks help identifying demons

June 28, 2009

To Manifested Glory Ministries of Bridgeport, Conn.:

Perhaps you wouldn’t mind telling me what a “homosexual demon” looks like. I will confess that until last week, I had no idea demons even had sexual orientations. Or, for that matter, sex. Then I happened upon a video that is making the rounds online. It depicts members of your congregation conducting what can only be described as the “gay exorcism” of a 16-year-old boy.

He convulses on the floor as if in the grip of a seizure while adults circle above, apparently attempting to holler the gay out of him. They yell things like, “C’mon, you homosexual demon! We want a clean spirit!”

And ... “Come out of his belly! It’s in the belly!”

And ... “Right now, I command you to leave!”

And ... “Rip it from his throat! Come on, you homosexual demon!”

A woman fans a towel at the writhing boy. At one point, the child, limp and unresisting as a sack of flour, is held upright and vomits into a bag. Someone on a piano plays gospel chords in the background.

Originally, you all had posted the full 20-minute video on YouTube, but for some strange reason (surely not embarrassment?), you’ve since taken it down. Still, snippets survive and are as near as a Google search. The ones I saw do not make clear whether the demon ever poked its head out but if it didn’t, you have to wonder if maybe it was scared to.

That was quite an unsettling scene, after all. Unsettling enough that it has landed your church in the middle of controversy and outrage.

The Associated Press reports that some advocates for gay youth regard what the video depicts as abuse and are calling for an investigation. They warn that this is not an isolated event. To the contrary, they say, things like this happen all the time.

The AP went to get your side of things and one of your leaders, “Apostle” Patricia McKinney, told a reporter the boy actually came to you seeking help. She said your church isn’t prejudiced in the least. “We have nothing against homosexuals,” she said. “I just don’t agree with their lifestyle.”

I know you’re up against it right now, but I want to assure you: I’m not here to beat up on you, or to accuse you of being the bigots you say you aren’t, or to call you a bunch of backward mouth breathers who abused a confused teenage boy. No, I’m just hoping you’ll tell me what a homosexual demon looks like. I’m scared I may unknowingly run into one, so please help me sharpen my demon gaydar.

Is the homosexual demon the one who lounges around the lake of fire wearing a pastel shirt open to there? Does he kind of sashay his pointy tale when he walks? Does he smell of brimstone, sulfur and $100-a-jar advanced extra firming skin butter facial cream? Is his iPod filled with Patti LaBelle, Bette Midler and show tunes? Does he think a power forward is a gear on a four-wheel drive?

Or what if he’s a she? Can you tell the lesbian demon because she never wears heels? Is she the one who prefers to slip her hooves into sensible shoes? Does she wear her hair like Clint Eastwood in “Dirty Harry”? Does she look like Clint Eastwood in “Dirty Harry”? Does she tool around hell on a motorcycle, a pack of Marlboros rolled up in the sleeve of her flannel shirt?

Please advise. If I encounter a homosexual demon, I would like to know. I’m not a big fan of show tunes.

Actually, if you could run down all the various types of demons and ways to ferret them out, I’d be grateful.

Not to leave the impression I’m entirely demon illiterate. I do know a few. For instance: the demons of fear, stupidity and intolerance. You don’t need to tell me what they look like.

I already have a good idea.

Comments

i_tching 4 years, 9 months ago

"However, if the young man asked for the ritual and it made him happy, what gives me the right to say, don't do it?"

Common sense, awareness of reality, and freedom of speech dictate that we should all speak out against such religious nonsense. Of course they shouldn't do it. It's cruel, stupid, and counterproductive.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

I do not believe that this young man had a demon in him. I think the ceremony was hocus-pocus. However, if the young man asked for the ritual and it made him happy, what gives me the right to say, don't do it? I did not read anything to lead me to believe that he is now terrified of his faith. I don't know. That is why I asked the question. I don't understand people being sexually attracted to others of their own gender.

witchfindergeneral 4 years, 9 months ago

Irish Swearingen says... "As I understand it the boy came to the church for help so the real question is, how is he doing now? Is he satisfied with the results?"

Good question, Irish. Has the religious terror he feels because of his sexual orientation made him borderline suicidal yet? Has he forsaken his god for making him gay? Later in his life, will he be able to overcome the religious-based abuse he suffered as an impressible teen?

craigers 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh to be as intollerant and arrogant as Pitts. To top it off, he has a column to put it on display.

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 4 years, 9 months ago

Hope those kids didn't see him without his wig. It's one thing to go to visit and find out your favorite hero wants to touch in you in bad places. But to find out he's got no hair can mess you up for life.

pace 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow, of course there are homosexual demons. I too would appreciate a depiction. Some of my favorite art is the various depictions of angels and demons. I wonder if the myth that gay demons are better robes is true. It would be odd if there weren't gay demons. "A 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl shows that homosexual behavior, has been observed in close to 1500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them" the wick.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

Irish, can you tell me what you mean by your statement, "I do not understand what motivates homosexuals to do what they do."? Do you maen this young man made a choice somehow to be a homosexual, then went into a church and willingly took abuse? Or do you mean that he actually had a demon in him which made him "do things he didnt want to do", therefore he became a homosexual? And then does that mean every homosexual has a demon inside of them? We should respect others' right to worship but does that mean we should turn a blind eye to child abuse?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

To begin with they should not have allowed the video to be made. I do not understand what motivates homosexuals to do what they do. As I understand it the boy came to the church for help so the real question is, how is he doing now? Is he satisfied with the results? He was only sixteen and a minor so didn't they have to get permission from the boy's parents. They were not saying that the demon was homosexual. They were saying that something had entered the boy to cause him to behave in ways he didn't want to. We should respect others right to worship as they choose.

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago