Archive for Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lawrence Humane Society has influx of dogs, including small breeds, to adopt

If you are in need of a furry companion, the Lawrence Humane Society just might have the dog for you.

June 18, 2009

Humane Society seeking dog adopters

The Lawrence Humane Society has taken in a number of dogs from Hutchinson and Pratt and is looking for good homes for them. Enlarge video

The shelter has seen an influx of 50 dogs in the past two weeks, including a delivery of 25 dogs from Hutchinson and Pratt on Thursday morning.

“Hutchinson Humane Society’s roof blew off their shelter and while they’re a small shelter, they needed some place to take the dogs,” said Midge Grinstead, Lawrence Humane Society executive director. No other shelters in the area would take them, so Lawrence opened its doors.

After some changes at the Pratt shelter, its dogs also needed a place to stay. Grinstead couldn’t say no. They have even converted the rabbit room into another space for the new additions.

“The nice thing about the Pratt and Hutchinson dogs are they are ready to go,” Grinstead said.

The shelter has many smaller breeds, including Shih Tzus, miniature pinschers and some mixes.

“We have a lot of small dogs for a change,” Grinstead said.

The shelter still has almost 15 Pekingese dogs after a raid last week from a puppy mill.

“If somebody’s been looking, now’s the time,” Grinstead said.

You can contact the Humane Society at (785) 843-6835. The shelter, at 1805 E. 19th St., is closed Monday. It’s open Tuesday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Comments

Cynthia Schott 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, Lawrence Humane Society. I hope other people are as generous as you are.

"No other shelters in the area would take them, so Lawrence opened its doors."

Cindy

Music_Girl 5 years, 7 months ago

It makes me sad when I see people in pet stores "shopping" for pets when there are so many at the shelter that need a good home too!

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 7 months ago

Wichita is opening their brand spanking new $10.2 million dollar shelter, (yes, $ 10.2 million) and they can't help out Pratt and Hutchinson and Lawrence has to pick up the slack?

Presumably these extra pets came just a few days too early for the new digs. Lawrence certainly has helped out with more than its fair share of state seizures.

You do good work, Lawrence Humane Society.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I think it is heartbreaking. I wish I could take every one of them. However I can know that I have taken one cat who now has a very happy home and I am thankful to the people at the Humane Society. They are great people.

J 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you to the LHS for the work that you do. Will these dogs be listed on your website soon?

redmoonrising 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm proud of the Lawrence Humane Society for all the times they have stepped in to help animals in need, especially a large number of dogs lately. Thanks for all your good work!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

Right on Redmoon... I feel the same way..

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 7 months ago

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 7 months ago

I just set up an automatic donation every month to the Humane Society. I encourage all of you to do the same!

UpperLawrence 5 years, 7 months ago

We have a automatic donation set up as well. It may be only $10 a month but I know it helps.

George_Braziller 5 years, 7 months ago

Bottles of bleach, paper towels, and old bath towels are always needed as well. It doesn't just have to be a monetary contribution.