Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tonganoxie woman killed in accident on 24/40 just south of town

A 47-year-old Tonganoxie woman was killed in a head-on collision Tuesday near Tonganoxie.

June 17, 2009, 10:07 a.m. Updated June 18, 2009, 12:09 a.m.

— A 47-year-old Tonganoxie woman was killed in a head-on collision Tuesday night near Tonganoxie.

The accident occurred about 9:45 p.m. just south of Tonganoxie. Tonganoxie police dispatcher Mike Vestal said the accident was south of Leavenworth County Road 1 on U.S. Highway 24-40.

Shelli K. Stimach was driving a 2003 Nissan Altima south on U.S. 24-40 when a 1998 Chevrolet Lumina driven by Justin M. Wiles, 32, Tonganoxie, traveling north, went left of center and struck her vehicle head-on.

Stimach was pronounced dead at the scene, Kansas Highway Patrol reports said. She was wearing a seat belt, while Wiles was not, reports said.

Wiles was taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. A hospital official said late Tuesday he could neither confirm nor deny Wiles was a patient.

Comments

cellogrl 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how many idiots are going to use this as an excuse to not buckle their seatbelts?

luvtocamp 5 years, 5 months ago

Both from Tonganoxie, how hard is that to deal with?

David Mora Marín 5 years, 5 months ago

I used to commute that way every day and this was pretty much my worst fear

igby 5 years, 5 months ago

Justin....I hope you were sober ....you idiot!

mae 5 years, 5 months ago

no doubt igby!!! i went by there a few hours earlier and there's no reason this should've happened. i'm just glad that with a small car i can usually swerve over a bit for all the people that tend to cross the double lines.

TongieMom 5 years, 5 months ago

This stretch of 24/40, from the curve at the Cty Rd 1 junction to that straight stretch south of it, for some reason has had it's fair share of accidents in the last few years and a few have ended with the loss of a life.

Thoughts & prayers to the Stimach family.

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 5 months ago

igby...knowing Justin, I hope he was too.

kansasfire911 5 years, 5 months ago

You know it is quit possible that that vehicle accidents occur while no one is intoxicated. It is quit possible that someone went off into the soft shoulder in the construction area and overcorrected. Not every wreck is caused by a drunk!! I know its hard to imagine and easy to jump to conclusions on which people no nothing about.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 5 months ago

People tend to want to believe the worst of other people, makes them feel better about themselves. Grandma always said if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all. I think Grandma would be displeased with most of us, me included.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

GmaD321 5 years, 5 months ago

Anyone who knows Justin....well, no one is being mean. My heart goes out to the Stimach family. If Justin was under the influence of anything he will surely pay a price for it. Does anyone know if 'Amanda's Law' passed??

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 5 months ago

Gma I hope for Justin's sake that he was sober.

kansasfire911 5 years, 5 months ago

Gma- Yeah I'm from Tongie and I know who that is, but I would like to think that was not the case.

GmaD321 5 years, 5 months ago

I really hope so. He had been on a better path for some time until very recently. He's got 2 great kids who need to be able to benefit from the better choices and not be made to suffer more from possible bad ones. Regardless, I feel so bad for the family of the lady who was killed in this incident. I sincerely hope it was truly an accident.

Dan Eyler 5 years, 5 months ago

The guy who killed this woman was drunk. He was driving on a suspended license. He had multiple DUI's and the KHP was on the lookout for him. He is 33 yrs old. His own mother killed someone while she was driving drunk. this guy is a dirt bag who I hope spends a very long time in prison.

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 5 months ago

faithful, where is your proof that he was drinking? I'm just wondering where you got your info?

doyourhomework 5 years, 5 months ago

Is Justin related to the guy in Basehor who recently had a car wreck who is now paralyzed? Just curious; the last names were the same. If so, regardless of the circumstances, if feel sorry for the parents.

Fisherman 5 years, 5 months ago

Both families are dealing with the loss. One going to prison and the other to God. I feel for the survivors of both families i.e. children, grand-children, parents, husbands, wives, etc. The actions of another can impact so many people. Keep both families in your thoughts and prayers as there are very trying times ahead. But for the Grace of God there go I--remember that when you start to point fingers at another person. It very well could have been anyone. Count your blessings to ALL!!!

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 5 months ago

I have not heard of any charges being brought against Justin, as far as we have heard, he was in the hospital in critical condition on Thursday. LJworld, can we get an update?

unknown2u 5 years, 5 months ago

Justin came out of the wreck just fine. He isn't in critical condition or disabled. He has a few broken bones. He wasn't drunk either, reliable source. He'd been doing meth. He's already a multi. felon, driving on a suspended license. He's hurt almost every life he's touched and I'm surprised it took him this long to actually kill someone. He's a dangerous person, who's been incarcerated before and should of been many times since then. I feel terrible for the families! I hope our justice system actually does it's job this time, before he hurts someone else.

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 5 months ago

Just read the update, and I am so glad that he was not drinking. I love how everyone speculates based on someone's history, what may have happened. Thank you Journal World for the update.

unkown2u, I have known Justin for 16 years, and while he has made mistakes, who are you to judge?

GmaD321 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't think any of us are in a position to judge. Let the courts handle it and we will just hope that the right things happen in that system. kansasfaithful-you seem to have a chip as big as TX on your shoulder concerning their family. I know Justin is far from perfect but bringing his mom's past into play is wrong. dbrm4ever2006-unfortunately Justin has made lots of mistakes and burned many bridges. He doesn't have a huge fan club. I have known the family (not closely but it's Tongie & it used to be quite small) for over 40 yrs having grown up in Tongie. Lots of ugliness there, real and rumored, but none worth writing about in this forum.
unknown2u-Wow.