Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Keg party crackdown

June 17, 2009

Hosting a keg party soon will become a much dicier proposition in Lawrence.

City commissioners at their meeting Tuesday unanimously approved an ordinance that will allow local law enforcement to more easily charge hosts of keg parties with illegally serving underage drinkers.

Under current state law, in order to charge the host of a party with illegally serving a minor, local law enforcement must prove that the minor was an invited guest of the host.

The new ordinance shifts the burden of proof to the host to show that the minors were not invited guests at the party. The ordinance also would require the host to take reasonable steps — such as checking a picture I.D. — if there’s a suspicion that a minor is trying to drink at a party.

The change in law has been lobbied for by the New Tradition Coalition, a local group that is working to reduce underage drinking in the community.

Comments

newsreader 5 years, 1 month ago

Ahh... Glad my college days are over!

Boeing 5 years, 1 month ago

Thank gosh I am out of college. I can't tell you how much money my friends and I made by buying the keg, having the party, calling the cops on our own party, and keeping the money AND the beer...ah the free market, it was great.

Music_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

So all you have to do is have a list of "invited" guests and only put those of age on it and then you aren't responsible for the underage drinking? Sounds pretty simple to me...if law enforcement and commissioners think this will change keg parties I think they are sadly mistaken...

BrianR 5 years, 1 month ago

Do intergalactic keggers apply?

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Boeing you owe me five bucks. Plus that was Naty lite you were serving. Never again.

sherbert 5 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was the authorities responsibility to prove guilt, not the citizens responsibility to prove innocence.

Boeing 5 years, 1 month ago

Easy_Does_It:

You can get it from the School of Engineering...thanks for that tuition money :)

And yes, we split between Natty Light and Miller High Life...whatever god awful drink was available that week for the cheapest.

Andrew Phillips 5 years, 1 month ago

who the heck is the new tradition coalition? and why the fancy/enigmatic name? cant they just call it citizens against irresponsible drinking or something straight forward like that...

Jaminrawk 5 years, 1 month ago

And this will impact underage drinking ... zero percent. It sounds nice, in theory, like abstinence. Like absitinence education, this measure will make little impact.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 1 month ago

The last thing the Lawrence police need is a city officials that will back up breakingBending of the law.... Soon the city will approve a new speeding initiative because under current law you must have been clocked speeding soon cops can just write you a ticket if they feel you have been speeding and you make less than $50,000.00 a year.

kthxbi 5 years, 1 month ago

keg parties in the student ghettos were the best part of going to high school in Lawrence

llama726 5 years, 1 month ago

How much money is spent on policing drinking for people 18-21 years old in this town? You know... if there wasn't a stigma about it, I don't think you'd have nearly the level of alcohol problems here as we do.

ProudParent 5 years, 1 month ago

For those that prefer education over ignorance, I encourage you to visit http://www.thenewtraditioncoalition.blogspot.com/.

The efforts of this group are based on statistics and real life experiences of law enforcement, social workers, attorneys, and others who have skin in the game.

As a parent, I appreciate the efforts of this group. Will this ordinance prevent underage drinking? Of course not. Will it hold adults accountable who should know better than to serve alcohol to minors -- I hope so.