University Bridge Club announces results of its June 6 meeting, with hosts Paul and Carolyn Jordan.
Blue winners were Bonnie Haney, first; Hazel Stellmacher, second; Harold Riehm, third; Gini Wigington, fourth; and Karmie Galle, fifth.
Pink winners were Edna Galle, first; Donna Riehm, second; Sadie Deaton, third; Cora Kuepker, fourth; and Darlene Schneider, fifth.
• The Wednesday Afternoon Duplicate Bridge Club’s game on June 3 was directed by Chris Lane. North-South winners were Mary Mertz and Shari Krentzel, first in A and B; Harry Shaffer and Jim Zhang, second in A and B; Craig Huneke and Ed Howard, third in A; Betty Collier and Klee Zaricky, fourth in A and third in B; Ann Thompson and Dick Shaffer, first in C; and Bebe Huxtable and Wanna Roszel, second in C.
East-West winners were Virginia Seaver and Carol Ball, first in A; Paul Heitzman and David Piro, second in A; Yvonne Hedges and Sally Taylor, third in A and first in B; Mona Bell and Eldon Herd, fourth in A and second in B; and Judy Bevan and Barbara McCorkle, first in C.
• The Thursday Morning Mentor Duplicate Bridge Club’s game of June 4 utilized the Howell movement and was directed by Chris Lane. Winners were Marilyn Martin and Virginia Seaver, first; Barbara McCorkle and Chris Lane, second; Florine Creek and Lester Dalton, third; and Earle Core and Dick Shaffer, fourth.
• The Friday Afternoon Duplicate Bridge Club’s game of June 5 was directed by Virginia Seaver. North-South winners were Harry Shaffer and James Masilamani, first in A; Janice Hollowell and Jean Otney, second in A and first in B; Wanda Durbin and Steven Vossler, third in A; and Eldon Herd and Betty Collier, fourth in A and second in B.
East-West winners were Ed Howard and Hailong Dao, first in A; Grant Sutton and Catherine Blumenfeld, second in A and first in B; Sally Taylor and Virginia Seaver, third in A; Chris Lane and Yvonne Hedges, fourth in A and second in B; and Don Daugherty and Harry Talley, first in C.
• The Monday Evening Duplicate Bridge Club’s game of June 8 was the opening round of qualification for the North American Pairs competition and was directed by Virginia Seaver. North-South qualifiers were Harry Shaffer and Grant Sutton, first in A and B; Virginia Seaver and Paul Heitzman, second in A and B; Chris Lane and James Masilamani, third in A; Eldon Herd and Mary Fenlon, fourth in A and third in B; and Jeff Mermin and Craig Huneke, fourth in B and first in C.
East-West qualifiers were Larry Weatherholt and Steven Vossler, first in A; Jerry Sloan and John Fittell, second in A and first in B; Judy Bevan and Adelaide Nyquist, third in A and second in B; Jolene Andersen and Patrick Musick, fourth in A, third in B, and first in C; and Carl Mibeck and Jack Mibeck, second in C.
• The Sunflower Piecemakers, Ottawa, will present their 25th Annual Quilt Show from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 27-28 at Ottawa Middle School, 1230 S. Ash. Admission will be $3, and approximately 200 quilts will be displayed.
Members were asked to bring the first quilts they made for a special display. There will also be an exhibit of “2 bits,” the guild’s challenge quilts. Visitors can view the results of projects made by the Stitchin’ Rippers, Blockheads, Batty Quilters and other mini groups. The 2009 Opportunity Quilt will be given away June 28.
The annual mini auction will be the main attraction at 3 p.m. June 28, which will be conducted by Griffin Auction Service. Approximately 45 miniature quilts donated by members will be sold with proceeds going towards the Franklin County Historical Society, Franklin County Visitor’s Center and Sunflower Piecemakers.
Vendors will be Bennett’s Sewing Center of Topeka, Quilter’s Paradise of Baldwin, T&D; Creations of Blue Springs, Mo., Happy Crafters of Osawatomie, and Claude’s County Threads, Stover, Mo.
Members will offer a sales table of crafts, gifts and quilt-related items, and will also conduct demonstrations throughout the show.
For more information, contact Mary Schleicher at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Chris Campbell at Chris’ Corner Quilt Shop, (785) 242-1922.