Archive for Thursday, June 11, 2009

Former KU athletic director in hospital after bicycle accident

Former Kansas University athletic director Bob Frederick was flown by air ambulance to a Kansas City, Kan., hospital after a bicycle accident at Sixth Street and Kasold Drive Thursday evening.

June 11, 2009, 6:53 p.m. Updated June 12, 2009, 1:24 p.m.

Former Kansas University athletic director Bob Frederick remained in critical condition Friday afternoon at a Kansas City, Kan., hospital, where he was taken Thursday night after a bicycle accident at Sixth Street and Kasold Drive.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Mark Warren, Frederick, 69, of Lawrence, was riding north along Kasold Drive when he hit a pothole in the road. Witnesses said he flew over the handlebars of his bike and landed on Sixth Street. The accident occurred about 6:45 p.m.

Frederick was flown to Kansas University Hospital, where he underwent surgery Thursday night. About 1 p.m. Friday, he remained in critical condition, according to Kelly Hale, who is serving as a spokesman for the Frederick family.

"The family appreciates the thoughts and prayers that everyone is sending to them," Hale said

A person bicycling with Frederick at the time was not injured.

Frederick is an experienced bicyclist, having competed in 2005 in an endurance event in California as well as in triathlons.

Unfortunately, Frederick also has experience with serious accidents while bicycling. Fifteen years ago, on June 18, 1994, Frederick was riding near Clinton Lake when his bike tire went off the roadway and he tumbled down a hill and landed on large rocks at the bottom of the Clinton Dam.

Frederick suffered three broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken scapula and a concussion, but doctors said he likely would have been killed if he had not been wearing a helmet. He has been an advocate for helmet use ever since.

Frederick also broke a collarbone in a 1988 bicycle accident.

Career at KU

Frederick was KU’s athletic director from 1987-2001 and served as chairman of the NCAA men’s basketball selection committee in 1995 and 1996.

He was the athletic director who hired then-unheralded North Carolina assistant basketball coach Roy Williams as Larry Brown’s replacement as head coach at KU.

Under the direction of Frederick, Kansas won 32 conference championships in various sports and a national title in men’s basketball, and produced 41 academic All-Americans.

His 14 years marks the second-longest tenure of any Kansas A.D., behind F.C. “Phog” Allen’s 19 years.

Frederick oversaw more than $50 million in facilities upgrades in his final 10 years, including a $35 million renovation of Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse.

On Frederick’s watch, KU won the 1988 NCAA men’s basketball championship and, in 1992-93, became the first school ever to win a football bowl game, reach the men’s basketball Final Four and advance to the baseball College World Series in the same school year.

He resigned from his athletic director post in 2001. Presently, he teaches classes in KU’s sports management program.

Frederick is also a former KU basketball player and assistant coach. He coached at Rich Central High School in Illinois, Russell High School and Lawrence High School. He was an assistant coach at Brigham Young University and Stanford University. He also has served as Williams Fund director at KU and athletic director at Illinois State.

Comments

GardenMomma 5 years, 6 months ago

Drove by just as the person was being put into the ambulance. Didn't look good. Saw a car in the intersection, but didn't see any damage to the car - but that doesn't mean much as I was two lanes away.

When I got home, we heard and saw the helicopter take off. I am assuming it was the helicopter since it was a half hour since the time the accident was reported.

I sure do hope the cyclist is okay. Looked like there was another cyclist with the injured one. He seemed to be all right - standing and walking and talking.

Good thoughts your way....!!!!

password 5 years, 6 months ago

GM - could you see from where you were if they were adults or kids?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

we certainly have a lot of accidents on that stretch of 6th.

GardenMomma 5 years, 6 months ago

They looked like adults. The other cyclist was wearing a red, spandex shirt - looked like a "serious biker" as my daughter calls them, spandex, helmets, gloves, etc.

The one who was hurt, all I could see was feet as they loaded him/her onto the ambulance, but looked like an adult's feet.

The car was heading east on 6th and looked to be almost across the intersection and I have no idea if the bikers were crossing Sixth or Kasold.

password 5 years, 6 months ago

wonder if they were here for the Ironman event? It can be a very busy intersection that can be dangerous even in a vehicle.

jfcountyproud 5 years, 6 months ago

I was cycling north on Kasold and was at the intersection right when the ambulance got on scene. It was an adult male and not certain but I think I heard the woman cyclist tell the cop the guy was local. Not 100 percent sure though

jfcountyproud 5 years, 6 months ago

Man, second cycling accident for Mr. Frederick that he had to be flown out for. I think its time for someone to stop riding bikes

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 6 months ago

Again??? Didn't he about kill himself in a bike accident before? Time to pick a less dangerous hobby my friend.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

I had a Lew Perkins joke, but I think I'll save it until we know if he's okay or not.

igby 5 years, 6 months ago

Pothole=Health care!

Which one should of got the tax payers grease?

jplanet 5 years, 6 months ago

I was just arriving at Walgreens when this serious accident caused by a huge pothole happened. I went to assist and he appeared to be having a seizure. There were others assisting, already on the phone with 911 and luckily at least one nurse was on the scene.

Perhaps some should be a little more sensitive with their comments. This was obviously a very serious accident, not just a tumble off a bike.

My thoughts are with Mr. Frederick and his family.

igby 5 years, 6 months ago

....was riding behind someone going down hill and just like that, the guy in front of me, hi hat blew off; he hit his breaks and slid sideways about the time I broad sided him doing about 30 mph. Over the handle bars, me then the bike went. The bike when up and over me and it was like slow motion; I could see the bike in front of me hitting the hard pavement just as my knees, chin, chest and palms where being ground into fresh hamburger, ouch!!!!

It took 20 minutes for me to get up!

D_Puddy 5 years, 6 months ago

Thoughts and prayers are with Bob and his family. He taught a class of mine at KU about 5 years ago. What a great guy. Hope he is OK.

c4bl36u9 5 years, 6 months ago

I hope that Mr. Frederick turns out ok from this.

Maybe the city should take complete responsibility when someone gets injured from there negligence. You can't even drive a car in Lawrence without hitting a pothole that can throw you into another lane. And if you do avoid it your probably cutting someone else off in there lane...

Reuben Turner 5 years, 6 months ago

from the sound of things, this man oughta just drive a car. i hope that he comes out alright

Clare Galloway 5 years, 6 months ago

note--fix the pot holes maybe now that an important person gets hurt the city will fix them and hopefully RIGHT this time.

just_me 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow. Bob is one of the most kind, genuine people I've ever known. He is truly an amazing athlete for any age. My prayers are with him....

mommyoffour 5 years, 6 months ago

God Bless him and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. I drove by a little before seven. I seen a car with the front end crashed in. I didn't know if the car hit the pole or what.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

prayers for Dr. Frederick.

yes, maybe the city should be responsible for his medical bills resulting from the city's killer pothole. if not Dr. Frederick, who else might've been injured/killed by that pothole?

devobrun 5 years, 6 months ago

Never understood riding bikes on city streets for exercise.
City streets are not designed with bicycles in mind. Maybe they should be, but they aren't. Thus, bicycles on city streets are dangerous. Seems like a counterproductive way to maintain fitness. Hope Dr. Frederick recovers, and takes up swimming.

Mike Myers 5 years, 6 months ago

Devo, I'm with you. City streets are clearlly not designed with bicycles in mind. Certainly the civil engineers who designed our streets never considered that bicycles would exist. You are really, really, really smart aren't you! Congratulations on your highly intellegent post.

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 6 months ago

Coach Bob is one of the most amazing people I know and I know I'm not alone in this area of thinking. He's one of the most caring individuals on the face of the earth. Coach Bob, the world needs you in it! My thoughts and prayers are all focused your way! LOVE YOU COACH BOB!

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 6 months ago

Bet the city's out there today repairing that 1 pothole...

Very cost effective for our great city to build more roundabouts that are beautifully decorated with foilage that needs to be maintained instead of erecting 2 stop signs and 2 yield signs or 4 stop signs at deemed "dangerous" interesections. Without the roundabout expense possibly the city could afford to do necessary street repairs all over town....hmmm.....

newmedia 5 years, 6 months ago

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Bob. Good thing he didn't hit a pothole in Topeka or he probably never would have been found.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

We want Bob to be able to ride again ....YES!

The question becomes if Lawrence cannot afford to maintain its' existing streets why in the world are the powers that even considering more new streets anywhere in Lawrence, Kansas. Taxpayers cannot afford new roads...dont build them!

Every new road/street is a tax increase!

Look at the streets in older neigborhoods that are neglected and had to pass a sales tax to repair a few streets ...although not in older neighborhoods. Where did the street maintenance tax dollars go after paying in for the past 50-100 years?

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

I hope he is okay. I am only acquainted with Dr. Frederick through an event we were both involved with, but he is such a sincere, nice man, and had some great stories about his basketball days.
My wishes toward a quick recovery.

thomgreen 5 years, 6 months ago

"Every new road/street is a tax increase!"

I'm not disagreeing with you per say, but wouldn't a new road mean new housing or businesses along that road? Without getting into the technicalities of abatements for a business, wouldn't the additional property tax generated by the new structures cover the additional cost of upkeep for the new road? Theoretically at least..

thomgreen 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and best wishes to Dr. Frederick and his family for a quick recovery.

gconfo 5 years, 6 months ago

Best wishes to Dr. Frederick and his family. Let's all hope they make it through this.

As far as the rode is concerned, there has been construction along the north part of Kasold where it intersects with sixth street, for several weeks. Orange cones have marked where the road is dug out along the curb. I'm not sure that describing what he struck as a pothole is entirely accurate (if, indeed, he struck the long swath where the road has been dug out). I drive along that route every morning, and honestly cannot say whether it has been filled in or not.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 6 months ago

"Richard Heckler (Anonymous) says… The question becomes if Lawrence cannot afford to maintain its' existing streets why in the world are the powers that even considering more new streets anywhere in Lawrence, Kansas. Taxpayers cannot afford new roads…dont build them!"

RendraB 5 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Frederick was my science teacher at Lawrence High School back in the early 80's. He was a very nice man then, and something like this is very sad. My thoughts go out to him and his family.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 6 months ago

Coach Frederick is certainly in my prayers. He coached on the same KU staff as Sam Miranda at one time. I certainly hope he is OK because I don't want Ted Owens to lose another former coach. Bob Frederick is one of the most amazing men I have ever known.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 6 months ago

Worth repeating:

"Richard, I'd tell you what I think of you for turning a potentially fatal accident into your usual political nonsense, but I would likely get banned. String together Carlin's seven words in a creative way and I'm sure you get the idea.

"Bob is a great guy and hugely important at KU. He is one of the nicest, most sincere people in the world. I hope he makes it through this and my thoughts are with his family and massive extended network of friends, former students and people who he influenced."

KUGreenMachine 5 years, 6 months ago

Some previous comment hit the nail on the head...This city will dish out unlimited amounts of money to build new round-a-bouts, but wait years before fixing potholes and repairing our streets!! Take 19th street for example...how many years did it take to fix that tire trap?? at least five years of countless pot holes...it looked as though lawrence had been at war before they fixed it. On the flip side, check out the newest creation on Congressional way by 6th St. and the new Walmart...They spent money to put a semi round-a-bout patch of dirt in the middle of the road... I mean, WTF???