Archive for Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Police investigating report of armed robbery at west Lawrence sandwich shop

Police investigate an armed robbery at Mr. Goodcents, 1410 Kasold Drive, on Tuesday afternoon. The only people in the shop were two employees, and no one was hurt.

June 9, 2009, 4:36 p.m. Updated June 9, 2009, 4:55 p.m.

Police seek suspect in reported armed robbery

Lawrence police are searching for a man wanted in connection with an armed robbery at a west Lawrence sandwich shop. Enlarge video

Lawrence police are searching for a suspect who robbed a local sandwich shop at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon.

Police were called to Mr. Goodcents, 1410 Kasold Drive, just before 4 p.m. Lawrence police Captain Ray Urbanek said a black male, about 6 feet tall with a thin build, walked into the store, demanded cash from two employees and ran out.

Witnesses told police that the man, who was wearing a red hoodie and a black skull cap, was carrying some sort of long gun.

Urbanek said there were no customers in the store at the time of the robbery. Neither of the two employees was injured.

The incident left people who work in the busy strip mall a little uneasy. “It’s just amazing that it would happen in the middle of the afternoon, in broad daylight,” Michael Stuart, owner of Stuart Chiropractic, said.

His business faces the Mr. Goodcents store, although an employee working the front desk said she didn’t notice anything unusual until a police car pulled up.

Employees at Fine Design, directly next door to where the robbery occurred, said they didn’t realize anything had happened until they saw the yellow police tape hanging outside the sandwich shop’s front window.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Lawrence police detectives wearing protective booties on their feet were taking photographs both inside and outside the shop. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Department K-9 unit was also brought in, but Urbanek said the rain may have made it difficult for the dog to detect anything.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Stoppers hot line at 843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

Lance Cheney 4 years, 10 months ago

"Witnesses told police that the man, who was wearing a red hoodie and a black skull cap..."

Big surprise.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

MarchSad....I'm sure you would, but my M.O. is to only give a slightest hint to what I mean, therefor giving you, the reader, an opportunity to use your own imagination.

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

No prize on the suspect description ... you forgot to mention the hoodie, or even a sedan with dark-tinted windows. Sharpen up, folks.

MarchSadness 4 years, 10 months ago

AreUNorml-

I would love for you to elaborate on that comment...

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

What is going on in Lawrence are the same things that are going on all over the world. Deal with it. None of the posters seem to be taking armed robbery very seriously.

SouthernBelle 4 years, 10 months ago

[snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

Gootsie get the Golden Fruitcake on this thread. ]

. Agreed.

ArumerZwarteHoop 4 years, 10 months ago

“Urbanek said a witness saw a black man running to get into a car about the time the robbery occurred. The vehicle is described as a small black four-door car with dark tinted windows.”

Ding-ding-ding!! We have a winner!

Genius or Correlation?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

I have a plan that would have prevented the last several incidents. but most people will call it racism.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Gootsie get the Golden Fruitcake on this thread.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

oh, did I cause marioni some grief?

I feel soooooooooooooooooooo bad!

a good pastrami sandwich: double pastrami meat, mayo, mustard, tomato prov/cheese or other cheese.

oh yeah.

Blunt 4 years, 10 months ago

Gnome, off to the blackboard for you. I want you to write pAstrami 1000 times. Then you apologize to Little Marion sitting in the back corner for causing him grief.

Then i will make him do the same with plstrami (not pi as you spelled it). Sic? Absolutely...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, Py, tell me you've never typed too fast? yes, pastrami, thank you.

I'll have to try the Jason's. what have had from them did not include pastrami, and I wasn't too impressed with what I had.

Dad, usually its best to ignore Arumer.

indeed, some description would be nice! I'm still on the lookout for "suspects" looking people from the crime in south park last weekend!

shadowbox66044 4 years, 10 months ago

Where's Robocop when you need him.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 10 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…

several months ago Mr.G stopped doing pistrami sandwiches, so they lost my business.

anybody recommend a good sandwich shop for tasty pistrami?"

Marion writes:

I dunno about "pIstrami" (sic) but Dillon's used to carry a rather nice lean pAstrami and you COULD make your own!

oceanspray 4 years, 10 months ago

daddax98 4 years, 10 months ago

"free state has a good reuben."

yeah and not a lot of: "african american / subsaharan african / negroe / black, what ever the proper term is these days"

safer for all

demonfury 4 years, 10 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop - you are absolutely right on all counts, you don't even have to assume. Stereotype will also tell you that he is approximately 19-23, scrawny, short, bad inferiority complex which is why he probably carries a oversized gun that isn't even loaded. Now he's on the run for the rest of his life all for a couple hundred dollars at best. Sounds like a Topeka dropout to me. Hope they catch the little b@$+@rd. No pun intended on the unwed parents thing, although that's probably true too.

thebcman 4 years, 10 months ago

jason's deli has decent pastrami , reuben's too.

i think i tried one at mcalister's but was unimpressed.

ArumerZwarteHoop 4 years, 10 months ago

I think we all assume he is a male, first off all. Sexism?

Then judging by the trends of violent crime commited in Kansas we can assume he is an african american / subsaharan african / negroe / black, what ever the proper term is these days.

For bonus points I will also venture to guess he is an illigitimate public school dropout.

Considering this town is 95% white, if I am correct, I am either a genius or I have discovered a correlation of violent crime to race in this town.

Which is it?

Bring on the nobel prize!!

daddax98 4 years, 10 months ago

Anonymous

ArumerZwarteHoop (Anonymous) says…

description of the robber? That would be helpful, or would it be considered politicaly incorrect to to tell people what they already know?

ok i'll bite...what do we already know?

Pywacket 4 years, 10 months ago

Gnome~ I'd be indignant, too, if he stopped serving pastrami, but pistrami? I hope urine luck finding another source, but I think I'll pass on the stuff, myself. ;-)

Marion, you get more feeble by the day. You're just like a poor wandering dog who gets hit and dragged by a car, then rescued by a Good Samaritan. You are spurting blood everywhere, bones are sticking through skin, and you viciously snap at the person who is trying to stop the bleeding and get you some veterinary attention. Poor doggie--it just doesn't know any better than to attack the people who are trying to make it better.

Once the arterial bleeding from 8 years' worth of Dumbya catastrophes has slowed a little and some of the wounds cleaned and bandaged, we will see progress. For now, crime rates are rising at the same time that municipal budgets are being slashed. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is a bad mix of circumstances.

ArumerZwarteHoop 4 years, 10 months ago

password 4 years, 10 months ago

miracles - can't blame it all on topeka, there seems to be a breeding of perps going on in lawrence too. criminals come from everywhere.

Miracles 4 years, 10 months ago

There are several open positions at LPD. The perps seem to be getting bolder by the day as these broad daylight robberies are becoming more common.

West Lawrence has a lot more retail than it used to. It's a pretty east shot for perps from Topeka to hit a place and get out of town.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

anybody recommend a good sandwich shop for tasty pistrami?

rdave13 4 years, 10 months ago

Yea...it's all funny ...especailly for the people working at the time a total loser walks in with a gun...points it at your their head and steals .....what? $100 max in change?

Let's be real funny and put the person on America's Got Talent...it seems this bs is our biggest export right now,

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

Alex, bet they'll try to hock the salami at yh.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 10 months ago

now people are robbing for food....

Lawrence police are investigating an apparent armed robbery at Mr. Goodcents

apparent............? did it happen or is this apparently apparent ?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 10 months ago

In the Obamination, this sort of thing is only going to become more frequent.

Very much as the Great Depression spawned the gangsters and organised crime, The Obamination is engendering the punks.

JonBoy 4 years, 10 months ago

"I'll have the Penny, the Nickel, the Dime, and the Quarter!!!"

JayCat_67 4 years, 10 months ago

Don't know Gootsie, but what a way to bring home the bacon.

compmd 4 years, 10 months ago

Tom,

I came so close to spitting up soda all over my laptop with your 6:46pm post. I imagined a thug running away from the shop with a gun and a giant tube of salami. Thank you.

fu7il3 4 years, 10 months ago

"toe (Anonymous) says…

I have been wondering if police efforts have been insufficient of late. It seems we are experiencing more crime, but I see few police on the road. Is the force being used properly. Are there too many hours logged in the office instead of the street? Just wondering."

My guess it that crime increases when the economy's health decreases. Yet, at the same government's budgets decrease, which means fewer police. So, you have more incentive for crime and fewer people to stop it.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 10 months ago

That hurt somebodynew. Can't even the simple fact of what was stolen be reported? Money? Salami? Bologna? Provolone?

somebodynew 4 years, 10 months ago

Tom, your rights might be respected, but on this board, you probably won't be.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 10 months ago

I was hungry and forgot my debit card. I had no cash because times are tough. Will my rights be respected?

introversion 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, the description is that theyre from topeka.

macon47 4 years, 10 months ago

some one just needed money for drugs drugs are cool welcome to lawernce steal what you cannot afford

gsxr600 4 years, 10 months ago

Any description of the suspect? That might help a little.

Quigly 4 years, 10 months ago

You are kidding me?? WTF indeed. Oh and Gootsie.... NICE ONE. That's good. you make me laugh

applejuice 4 years, 10 months ago

That is why I wasn't able to get my dinner.

rousseau108 4 years, 10 months ago

Toe, the police department is severely understaffed and has far fewer officers per capita than similar cities. But no matter how many cops there are, they can't be everywhere at once and there will always be crime. Until we develop the precogs from Minority Report.

Gootsie 4 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if they got away with a lot of dough.

toe 4 years, 10 months ago