Archive for Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Brownback names campaign co-chairs

June 9, 2009

— U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., has named the campaign co-chairs for his gubernatorial bid.

They are Overland Park attorney John D. Petersen, who has extensive ties to former Republican Party elected leaders, and Sue Schlapp, a Wichita city councilwoman.

Brownback is seeking the Republican nomination to run for governor in 2010. Republican Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh has also announced he intends to run.

Petersen was state finance chair for former Gov. Bill Graves, and served as deputy chief counsel to former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole and chief counsel to former Gov. Mike Hayden.

Schlapp is a former teacher and small business owner who is serving her second term on the Wichita council.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 11 months ago

Brownie won't get a penny from me but am sure I'll donate to his opponent.

leftylucky 5 years, 11 months ago

www.kansas.com/static/video/brownback-girl/

Sharon Aikins 5 years, 11 months ago

Who would run with him as lieutenant governor, Jim Ryan? I registered as a republican lo those many years ago because of family pressure and the ignorance of youth but am about as moderate as you can get. The party quit calling me after I obligingly told them my views on some of their pet agendas. This man scares me. Would we see Klein back in Topeka as well? Basically I'm pretty apolitical now but I would willingly campaign for anyone running against Brownback.

pace 5 years, 11 months ago

Brownback is a yellow back, he is a coward. His stand that the federal prison should not handle possible terrorist is the lowest road. He is putting fighting Obama over fighting terrorism. Way to go to support the troops. I for one would be proud if Kansas stood up instead of ducking.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

Brownback hates government unless he is on the payroll with taxpayers funding his retirement and medical insurance.

Blunt 5 years, 11 months ago

"I registered as a republican lo those many years ago because of family pressure and the ignorance of youth but am about as moderate as you can get." - redmoonrising

You are aware that you are all growed up now, aren't you? You may have felt coerced those many years ago, but you know you can change your affiliation any time - or once again do you prefer to remain a victim; You seem to enjoy that role...

Mixolydian 5 years, 11 months ago

pace (Anonymous) says…

So you're saying that Sebelius is a coward and that EVERY single Kansas democrat state senator and representative are likewise cowards for standing with Sebelius AND Brownback on this issue?

Is every single democrat representative and senator in Kansas fighting with Obama over this issue?

dagopman 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh gosh, surely he wouldn't choose that moron Nancy Boyda to be his running mate. What a pair they'd make.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 11 months ago

Elect Brownback as governor and our border signs will read:

"Welcome to Kansas, the Opus Dei state, where misogynists reign and the governor assumes personal responsibility in sanctifying the secular world from within!