Archive for Monday, June 8, 2009

Lawrence builder charged with bank fraud

June 8, 2009

A Lawrence builder is charged with bank fraud, accused of buying off a public official in a Junction City housing development project.

David Ray Freeman, 45, is charged in U.S. District Court in Topeka with one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud, evading federal currency reporting requirements and interfering with interstate commerce by extortion of a public official.

Federal prosecutors said Freeman befriended a member of the Junction City Commission in 2004, as the city was preparing for an influx of residents, due to a large troop buildup at Fort Riley.

Prosecutors said in 2006, Freeman began paying the commissioner in exchange for development contracts totaling more than $12 million.

If convicted, Freeman could be sentenced to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million. The government is also seeking any proceeds of the crime, including cash and property.

Comments

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm not condoning this guys actions what so ever, but up to 30 years in prison seems a bit harsh for a non violet crime...

pace 5 years, 11 months ago

I am sick of the idea that stealing and corruption shouldn't get time compared to violent crime. Corrupt government and developrippers need to wake up and see the hard time.

Susan Mangan 5 years, 11 months ago

Do a little digging through our local politics and I'm betting you'll find that people commit crimes that they're already familiar with. I can't imagine money hasn't changed hands with our recent City Commission members and people in the building industry. Just speculation on my part, though.

As an aside...people believing that non-violent crimes aren't really bad enough to justify harsh sentences should be picking up the tab for our exhorbitant bailouts instead of making us all suffer. Greed, corruption, and white-collar crime are the foundations our financial collapse were built upon. What may seem like small discreet cases of corruption can, and do, combine to harm our country, businesses, and individuals struggling to make it through the ruins left behind. 30 years in a country club prison sounds kind of cushy to me.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

What about the commissioner who accepted the money and facilitated the contracts? Nothing? Why?

fatheadff 5 years, 11 months ago

Really? Big "D" is the lowest of the low. This is not the first time he has been in trouble for financial reasons. The IRS came in and just about took everything he owned. He always tries to cheat the system so he gets what he deserves.

greenworld 5 years, 11 months ago

Such a nice guy. I hate to see it go down this way.

whorwe2judge 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't know Big "D" but it always amazes me how people are so quick to get on here and leave comments about a person!

At a time like this, this is the last thing a person needs.

We do not have all the facts and no one knows at this time what really happened. God created all of us equal and I do believe that only GOD can judge each and every one of us!

So in my opinion, I think before we make comments that are judgemental we as humans should remember that before we say hurtful and unkind things, we need to ask ourselfs........WHO R WE 2 JUDGE others!

This kind of thing happens all the time, and remember it could be one of your friends, your loved ones, your neighbor!

Instead of sitting behind a computer judging others you might want to go out in the community and offer help to make this a better world to live in!

Scott Drummond 5 years, 11 months ago

You have to wonder if Junction City had a Trafficway in their future?

Funny when the small time guys get caught. Over here, as close as we are to KC, the crooks are far more sophisticated and do a better job of covering their tracks.

thetruth2010 5 years, 11 months ago

All I Have to say about (Big D) which I do know him. If your in bed with him in anyway, goodbye to you because he is talking

CLARKKENT 5 years, 11 months ago

AFTER READING MERRILL'S LINK, MAYBE BIG D WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ONE CHARGED.

COULD BE A REAL SHOCKER STILL COMING!!!!!!

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

Big D got all of this for just $10,000?

This pales in comparison to what the wallstreet and union playas are getting from Obama for the millions they "donated" to him.

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

Where is the investigation into the money donated to the Obama regime by Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citigroup, AIG, et al?????? I want to see every single one of the CEO's and directors of those corporations do 30 years in jail for fraud, bribery and treason.

John Pultz 5 years, 11 months ago

Note how much better is the AP story run by the KS Star than the story in the LJW. Don't you wish the LJW had better journalism?

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

I thought this was how it worked here in Lawrence. Just as some former CC's.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

extortion of an official he's charged with.

I bet that's where a lot of those 30-years come from.

Irish, that may be why the official isn't being charged. extortion has the potential to be a very serious crime.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 11 months ago

Is he the one that started to build the gray "castle" in Bauer Brook that Bill Self now owns? I had heard he had to run from it due to lack of money, and that there was some bad stuff going on in the basement.

Or did I dream all this?

CLARKKENT 5 years, 11 months ago

GOOTSIE---YOU DID NOT DREAM ALL OF THIS.

A_J_Hawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Just a guess here but I'm betting that Big "D" will be able to easily pay this fine if he just takes cologne out of his monthly expenses.

middlemgmt 5 years, 11 months ago

A_J_Hawk - I was waiting for someone to bring up the cologne. I met David a couple of times and the heavy cologne was what I remember about him.

simplelife 5 years, 11 months ago

For the love of money is the root of all evil.ITimothy 6:10 I AM NOT CONDONING THE WRONG DONE HERE. I do know David. I have watched his rapid rise in the corrupt business world that took him here. I have to wonder for those of you that rode this "gravy train" (from the big to the small) DOES revenge taste as sweet as you thought it would? No man is an island unto himself. MANY are involved. The investigation is still on going! My advise to David would be :Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! It is my opinion there isn't enough cologne in this world to cover the "stench" of betrayal by people considered friends. Remember: Even good people can make bad choices and BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I. Love to David and his family!!!!!!

ksndn 5 years, 11 months ago

It's all Karma. I think the Feds might call it RICO. It happened a couple of years ago in KC with a company called New Century. Dave probably is already talking months ago. It obviously took out that, now a planet has fallen into a dark hole. I wouldn't be surprised if a certain sub with the last century might be made to go back to the motherland down south. I can't see how it won't affect a 1st but I guess we'll see how good the management deals with it.

vegetablegirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Gootsie-he had another house on BobWhite Drive that had/may still have basement problems. He ripped off some buyers a few years back and now another family has bought that house, hopefully they will fix the problem. So, if Mr. Self has inherited basement problems too..... seems to be the "signature" problem of the great BIG D CONSTRUCTION. He is getting what he deserves!

feeble 5 years, 11 months ago

"¢ Sinks, Dave Freeman, Bill Skepnek and Brennan Fagan, partners in Big D Development and Construction, are spending up to $60 million to build 504 apartments and prepare another 538 lots for construction of new homes and duplexes."

whorwe2judge 5 years, 11 months ago

JANE, I don't recall any where in my post to be judging others???

If your talking about me saying "Instead of sitting behind a computer judging others.......maybe We all can go into the community and offer our help in some way and make this a better world to live in"

I don't consider that judging others??

So if you want to tell me how I'm judging others I would like to know how I've done that.......

Because I never want to be one of those type of people!

whorwe2judge 5 years, 11 months ago

Vegetablegirl, Do you live in a glass house? Just curious? Or did you buy the house on BobWhite?

spkup 5 years, 11 months ago

Funny how everyone already considers him guilty of the charges even though he hasn't been to trial yet. And all the people that claim to 'know' big D readily dishing out the dirt on him, well I know david too, I know he donated alot of money for a friend's wife to have a cancer treatment at the mayo cancer clinc, and a children's park he donated, and I know how generous he was to all his 'friends'. Funny the things you 'friends' say about you when they aren't riding the gravy train anymore.

think_about_it 5 years, 11 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

think_about_it 5 years, 11 months ago

So bozo, is your next question going to be is the grass green? Is the sky blue?

bankboy119 5 years, 11 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Why was bozo's comment removed?"

Really, I'd like to know, too. I made no accusations. I merely inquired as to whether Compton is/was involved in Big D, as I have been told. I'm sure there are plenty of people involved in that company who did absolutely nothing wrong.

Obviously, there are certain questions about certain people that can't be asked on these boards.

camper 5 years, 10 months ago

There is some interesting documentation on the subject of such things. If you have a moment, go to Wikipedia and type in "political corruption". It provides an excellent overview of this topic.

simplelife 5 years, 10 months ago

answering rooster about hummer....why did you want it?????

thetruth2010 5 years, 10 months ago

sandersen 5 years, 10 months ago

Why in the world should anyone feel so intimidated or frightened as to assume it necessary to apologize for a simple connection of business associates, one any idiot who has ever drunk cheap wine at the holidome at a chamber meeting, or been to an LHBA event already was well aware of???? I cannot even fathom what possessed LJW to remove those comments, with no flag whatsoever.

An association does not imply guilt. It merely proves association. And there is no one in this gd-small town whom is above scrutiny based on their associations.

If it's good enough for the peons and minions, it is certainly good enough for the well-heeled. Isn't that what being influential is all about?

But blatant censorship is never acceptable. It smacks of impropriety, of levels of influence that are unhealthy in a society that deeply values the virtue of free speech.

sandersen 5 years, 10 months ago

BTW, Bob as my witness, I heart Bob!!! And Ridge has balls, at least at the present time ;) .... Good Luck with that!

whatifeelfyi 5 years, 10 months ago

This is a shame. I hope Big D is smart enough to make a deal and take his fellow criminals down to his level. He should not have to be the only one to pay for this crime.

sandersen 5 years, 10 months ago

Is anyone aware as to whether or not the apartments/townhomes in question out in Junction City have actually been completed? I had heard there had been a slowdown out there as of late...

thetruth2010 5 years, 10 months ago

kansasuniversity 5 years, 10 months ago

The Original Bob seems to have left his common sense at the wayside. I love the term, "good ol' boys. I guess its a nice way of saying "cronies." You get a nice group of business partners together, throw in some crooks, and defend the whole thing as legitimate?

PSA 119:36 Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.

PRO 15:27 A greedy man brings trouble to his family, but he who hates bribes will live.

PRO 18:1 An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment.